PDA

View Full Version : Change in the weather

Jon
18-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Could it be that we are going to see the back of 7 weeks of cold and wet weather?

I need to get the queen rearing started in earnest and with dry weather, decent temperatures, and plenty of forage about, conditions look ideal.

Type the name of your nearest town into this site to check.

http://www.forecast.co.uk/belfast.html

drumgerry
18-05-2012, 09:46 AM
At bloody last! I was so p'd off with it all that I did threaten a few weeks ago not to get out of bed again until it warmed up!

Hoomin_erra
18-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I've had snow the last 2 days. About bloody time spring arrived!!!

Rosie
18-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Let's argue about the weather for a change.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Belfast-UKXX0015

Bad weather, of course, exacerbates the effect of neonics.;)

Rosie

drumgerry
18-05-2012, 10:26 AM
We had snow down here at Knockando as well yesterday morning Hoomin_erra. None today so far thankfully.

Jon
18-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Let's argue about the weather for a change.

Rosie

I prefer my link as I will get higher temperatures. Your link is obviously bought and paid for by some band of climate change denier shills with a vested interest in keeping the temperature down. Shame on you for selling yourself so cheaply.
If I get a decent sunny afternoon I will set up a few more cellraisers this week. Anything above 14c with the sun shining is good enough for me. My bees are working at full tilt in weather like that. I heard a snippet from a Buglife spokesman on Radio 4 this morning which claimed that honeybees will not fly until the temperature is over 10c. Mine work very well at 10C if it is dry and are venturing out in smaller numbers at 7-8c. Problem is a lot of plants do not secrete nectar at low temperatures so it is mainly pollen and water they are collecting in weather like this.

Rosie
18-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I had some solar panels fitted to the roof last Autumn and can now monitor the strength of the sun using them. I am finding that the panels give me a better indication of whether the bees are flying or not than the thermometer.

Rosie