PDA

View Full Version : SBAi banning policy

gavin
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I feel the need to clarify one aspect of the running of SBAi following comments on the Biobees forum after Doris posted her defamatory and ridiculous conspiracy theory over there.

1) Like all similar internet fora we get attacked by spammers from time to time. Spammers who get through the safeguards get deleted, their posts cleared up, and their IP address banned. One forum hacker has also been banned. There are blocks of IP addresses banned because it appeared that some classes of IP address were regular sources of spam. This had affected a few regular users and prevented a couple of people signing up. Anyone affected by a failure to register or to log on to the forum is welcome to approach Admin for help. There is a 'Contact Us' link at the foot of most pages.

2) We had one member banned for being persistently unpleasant. Such activity disrupts the normal flow of the forum and puts people off contributing. This member, based in Scotland, had his ban lifted before its first anniversary recently.

3) There have been no other deliberate bannings, not one.

The Drone Ranger
30-05-2012, 12:19 AM
thats good to know :)

he's not the messiah he's just a very naughty boy
(life of Brian)

Julian
30-05-2012, 08:24 PM
3) There have been no other deliberate bannings, not one.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but this implies that someone was unintentionally banned.

Can it be assumed one or more members believed they have been banned but used IP addresses that were part of the barred block?

Jon
30-05-2012, 08:46 PM
There was at least one guy who had a problem as his IP was part of a blocked range but it got sorted out as far as I know.

It's a tough call for the moderators as some people deliberately push for a ban so that they can crow about it elsewhere on the internet and say they were banned because of some viewpoint or other. This happened a lot on the old bbka forum when a crew of posters, some of them grown adults, came over from biobees.com and completely disrupted the forum with incessant ranting about the bbka's dumb relationship with chemical companies. The same character and a couple of his devotees recently did the same on the bbka facebook page and the bbka then had it removed. Trolls are hard to deal with. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

beeanne
30-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Is it me, the wine, or is this all a bit...silly? Surely, you're mean to other people and you get banned .. at least until you learn better. 'll bang you're head together /show you the back of my hand/other Chorley-ite 70's comment.

Neils
30-05-2012, 10:35 PM
You'd think wouldn't you?

There people who make a habit of deliberately setting out to Troll forums and see how far they can push it and equally you get people pushing agendas who want to be banned, especially from forums like these so they can go to the Martyr's society and swap war stories about how they were mercilessly suppressed by the establishment for trying to spread "The Truth", as a Liverpool native once upon a time who remembers a paper once using that headline I don't have much truck with people proclaiming they're spreading "the truth".

But just before this thread was originally made there was a lot of tripe spouted on another forum by someone about how he'd love to come on here and help spread The Gospel but unfortunately he'd already been banned. Which, simply, isn't true. He wasn't banned before he made the post and he still isn't banned now. At least he's never registered on here to have a username to ban in the first place so I guess technically it's possible that if he uses a proxy he might turn up on a banned IP range hence the clarification about point 1.

Rosie
30-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I vote that we ban Jon because his wing plots are better than mine. I also think Nellie and Gavin should ban themselves so we can work out that pink panther thing where a vacuum cleaner sucks itself up.

Rosie

Neils
30-05-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm ok with photoshop, we can sort out the wings.

Trog
30-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Can you use photoshop to prove Gavin's genetically modified?

The Drone Ranger
30-05-2012, 11:19 PM
some subjects produce strong feelings for opposite points of view
They used to say never discuss politics and religion with people you don't know.

I would add breeding racehorses to that list having stuck my foot firmly in it when I asked a breeder what happened to the ones who didn't make the grade

Also Holidays like the one where I moaned about the Germans we had in our hotel only to find the chap I was speaking to (who I had known for years) had a German wife

Or the office staff in a London university hospital I was sharing the staffroom with, who all gradually increased the ferocity of their attacks on Scots saying if they wanted their Independence all the Scots in England should be shipped home
When I said I thought that was a bit harsh they all apologized genuinely embarrassed
I just said it was really my own fault because if I had been black they could have seen me coming.

Not very PC I suppose but then who cares ?? Oh you do !! eek

Bee breeding, CCD , pesticide, inbreeding ,importation of bees take your pick LOL

Jon
31-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Well as a vegetarian I have to turn my nose up at horse meat irrespective of the genetics.
I wish no ill on any horse irrespective of whether it happens to be fleet of foot or disappointingly lethargic.

I can get on fine with people who hold very different views from my own as long as they have a decent sense of humour, preferably slightly twisted.

Calum
31-05-2012, 09:42 AM
but horse meat is so tasty.. Swiss stuff is very very good, I wonder what they feed them on.. Museli I suppose.

I am still banned though, aren't I?