PDA

View Full Version : First Apiary Vist

HJBee
29-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Visited my first Apiary today with EmSe. Was a bit nervous even after reading books, attending Basic Beekeeping & speaking to experienced keepers. Weather was not ideal & nothing prepared me for the noise and sensation of the Bee's landing on me, especially around my head. Gradually got used to it and was able to at least operate the smoker and be more observant in regard to what was happening for the subsequent hives. So suit and hive tool christened, hopefully able to handle the frames next time!

Neils
29-04-2012, 04:44 PM
The experience hasn't put you off which I think is a good sign!

I think whatever the experience level, working with other people, especially on their bees is worth doing from time to time, it's easy to "tunnel vision" down one particular route or inspection style on your own, so seeing what other people think and do with their bees has also made me stop and think, sometimes Re-think how I do things.

Rosie
30-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Nellie. The chap who mentored me was a smashing bloke who knew a lot about bees but worked with leather gloves and was a bit of a rough handler. Another friend who worked mongrels of average temper without gloves was an excellent handler and seemed to have a great deal of empathy with the bees. No two people seem to do things the same and you can pick up one good habit from one and another from someone else and so on. I would attend every apiary meeting possible - at least for the first 40 years till you start getting the hang of it!

Rosie

susbees
07-05-2012, 10:13 AM
What Rosie said. Especially this year! My maternal grandfather was the resident doctor for the Quarriers Homes a long, long time ago :)

HJBee
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Not only did it not put me off but helped EmsE move 2 of her jives to my new Apiary. Move went well & bees seem to have settled in. Can't go on too much or EmsE will be mad I can watch her bees by hanging over my back fence.

EmsE
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd take any chance you have to just sit in front of them on your pallet (it's a reasonable distance away so not to interfere with the flight path) and observe them. I've wanted to do that on the bank holidays that I've been child free, but it has always rained- I'll manage it one day.

The move went surprisingly well but did feel every pot hole in the road on the way to yours.