PDA

View Full Version : Help to identify hive type

darlo
14-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I inherited what I thought was a WBC hive; floor, 2 x lifts and roof. I have used this hive since last autumn, and successfully brought a good colony through the winter in it, and decided to add another box and lift today, however the purchased WBC lift was too small for this monster hive.

It looks like a WBC, but the external lift dimensions are 21 1/4" x 24 1/4" . Anyone any ideas as to whether this is an old style hive, or simply a home made version of the WBC?

Its in reasonably good condition considering its age, and I would like to keep using it if possible, so may even come down to building the lifts myself, so if anyone knows of a source of cedar, would love to hear from you.

Thanks for any replies.

Chris

gavin
14-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Might it be a cottager? There is an old one on the estate where I keep my bees, and I've been threatening to do it up and fill it with bees for too long now. May be able to measure it tomorrow.

http://www.beedata.com/news/hadsock2002.htm

G.

darlo
14-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I will try and get a picture of it to post on here tomorrow. It takes national boxes, with a reasonably large space across the long side, and the bees have done really well in it. I expect the extra wall has helped maintain the temperature inside the brood box, getting them off to a good start..

darlo
15-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Managed to get a picture today, so it may spark some ideas.