PDA

View Full Version : Feeder confusion

Richard
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
With so many different types (and sizes) of feeders available on the market I wondered if any more experienced keepers could offer just one reliable and easy feeding method which might be used throughout the year? I do not want to have to keep filling up a feeder every three or four days and would like to keep hive inspection down to once every seven days during the season. I would also like not to have to disturb the hive at all during November to February, unless it happens to be a very sunny and warm day.
Richard

Jon
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
If you time things right you should only have to feed a bit in the autumn.
I use a rapid feeder with 2:1 syrup placed over the feed hole in the crown board.
If a colony runs out of stores for whatever reason during the year, I would place a bit of bakers fondant directly on the top bars or above the feedhole in a plastic container.
I agree they are best not disturbed over winter.
If you check they have enough stores in autumn this should not be necessary.

Neils
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
The short answer is not really.

Feeding syrup isn't suitable over winter so there isn't a year round, one size fits all solution.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but here's my take.

For the most part I use rapid feeders. A couple of litres maximum, no spillage to encourage robbing, and with the newer ones no drowning bees.

I think there is a general tendency to over feed bees, especially in spring. I would much rather give a colony a couple of litres of feed one week an re-assess in a weeks time than use a miller or ashforth type that can take gallons of the stuff and might encourage them to store it just before I want to be putting supers on.

Equally I try to manage my bees so they don't need gallons of syrup in the autumn but I do have a couple of larger feeders in the shed just in case a hive is light and I want them to take syrup in quantity.

90% of the time a rapid feeder with a litre or two, suits my management style, I've used nothing else except some DIY contact feeders on nucs for a couple of years now.

In terms of disturbance, the newer Rapid feeders are fine. They sit on top of the crownboard (spare empty super required) and you simply lift the lid and top them up if required without uncovering the feed hole or giving bees an avenue to come say hello. The Miller and Ashforth types can be similarly topped up without otherwise disturbing the hive or exposing you to inquisitive bees.

In winter, I prefer to use clear plastic or takeaway tubs filled with fondant, again this allows the levels to be checked simply by removing the roof, if they're still full, plonk the lid back on, job done, bees remain undisturbed.

Richard
12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
The short answer is not really.

Feeding syrup isn't suitable over winter so there isn't a year round, one size fits all solution.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but here's my take.

For the most part I use rapid feeders. A couple of litres maximum, no spillage to encourage robbing, and with the newer ones no drowning bees.

I think there is a general tendency to over feed bees, especially in spring. I would much rather give a colony a couple of litres of feed one week an re-assess in a weeks time than use a miller or ashforth type that can take gallons of the stuff and might encourage them to store it just before I want to be putting supers on.

Equally I try to manage my bees so they don't need gallons of syrup in the autumn but I do have a couple of larger feeders in the shed just in case a hive is light and I want them to take syrup in quantity.

90% of the time a rapid feeder with a litre or two, suits my management style, I've used nothing else except some DIY contact feeders on nucs for a couple of years now.

In terms of disturbance, the newer rapid feeders are fine. They sit on top of the crownboard (spare empty super required) and you simply lift the lid and top them up if required without uncovering the feed hole or giving bees an avenue to come say hello. The Miller and Ashforth types can be similarly topped up without otherwise disturbing the hive or exposing you to inquisitive bees.

In winter, I prefer to use clear plastic or takeaway tubs filled with fondant, again this allows the levels to be checked simply by removing the roof, if they're still full, plonk the lid back on, job done, bees remain undisturbed.

Thanks Nellie, you are a mine of useful information. I liked the post about making frames, but I prefer a wee dram to a tin! (I dont find that the nalis going in any straighter, it is just that I tend not to mind so much...)
Richard

Jimbo
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I use large poly feeders in the Autumn where I pour in large amounts of 2:1 sugar syrup. The bees take about a week to take it down and that's the job done for the winter. In spring if a colony is a bit light I make a small block of candy and place over the frames. I also use contact feeders for when I want the bees to draw out foundation for me in the early summer. When bee breeding I also use plastic rapid or frame feeders on nucs if and when required.

Neils
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks Nellie, you are a mine of useful information. I liked the post about making frames, but I prefer a wee dram to a tin! (I dont find that the nalis going in any straighter, it is just that I tend not to mind so much...)
Richard
Glad you found them useful. Nowt wrong with a dram if that's what takes your fancy, but having put 50 of them together the other week I would have run the risk of alcohol poisoning :D

I've corrected a typo I made in my post you quoted, to match my correction in the original, hope you don't mind.

gavin
12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I've used baggie feeders (ziplock polybags full of syrup, laid on the top bars, slashes made with a blade), gallon (5l) contact plastic feeders, the smaller round ones that you can re-fill easily without disturbing the bees, and bakers fondant. They all work. However if you want one system suitable for all the year round then I'd use the poly feeders Jimbo mentioned. See them here:

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/entry.php?143-How-to-assemble-your-brand-new-Denrosa-Swienty-Poly-Hives

Murray leaves Apisuc in them all winter (it doesn't ferment, they can take it whenever they want), the polystyrene insulates the top of the hive and you can feed 3 gallons at a time for a rapid boost to their stores in the autumn if you wish. You take out the clear plastic baffle and lay fondant in the feeder if you like. However it is the ease with which you can feed them for the winter that attracts me.

The only issue is that they are designed for top bee space hives. You can leave a framed queen excluder on and that gives you the bee space to avoid squashing bees.

G.