PDA

View Full Version : Hive types

nemphlar
11-04-2012, 07:00 PM
During the sunshine today had a first look through the 4 hives with some surprising results. all were fed thymol treated syrup last August and OA gas at the end of December, 3 in wood and 1 poly smiths. one of the wooden hives had 9 full frames brood, I've never seen this at this time of year, with no varroa on the board I checked some drone brood assuming they are in with the brood but still no v. The poly and 1 of the woods with 5 frames of brood, the 3rd with 3 brood all nice patterns.
So, if the queens are well bred and healthy does it really matter what type of hive they're in

Neils
12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the hive type (poly vs wood rather than, say, National vs Commercial) does make a difference, but the bees themselves and other factors will also have a say in the matter. Discussions around hive insulation are quite common on here, but down in the tropics, for the past three years I've never bothered to insulate my hives at all with no obvious adverse affects.

There are a variety of factors that can influence spring build up so it wouldn't surprise me to see a colony in a wood hive build up quicker than a colony in a poly hive assuming both are equally healthy. Over a longer time period, all things being equal, based on what others have said (this is the first year I'll be trying out poly hives) I would expect to see colonies in Poly boxes "do better" than those in uninsulated wood.

beeanne
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Has been a pretty mild winter so the (warmer) poly hives possibly have less of an impact this winter than they may have done in previous, colder years. I have wood Smith hives only, but would like to try poly - where did you get yr poly Smith from?

gavin
12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I should let Nemphlar answer, but as far as I know only Murray McGregor has them. Could be wrong. He isn't really set up to sell in ones and twos.

nemphlar
12-04-2012, 11:45 PM
The one I have is home made from 50mm poly, I contacted Murray last month he said he was waiting for floors, but would have them in about now, I was only looking to try 4, he didn't see that as a problem.

Bridget
13-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Highland Bee Supplies are stocking polystyrene Nationals. They have a website.