PDA

View Full Version : Virkon and acetic acid?

Bumble
22-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Is a spray of virkon enough to clean stored supers, or should they also be treated with acetic acid?

Jon
22-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I use virkon for cleaning wood and plastic and acetic acid for comb.
neither kills AFB spores but they are effective against EFB and nosema.

I don't use either with supers as the main risks are in brood comb.

gavin
22-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Agree with Jon - supers are low risk and if I did worry about them (EFB nearby or Nosema in the apiary) I'd use acetic acid. The fumes of acetic will disperse, and even if it is supposed to be safe I'd still not be happy with Virkon on comb used for honey production.

Bumble
22-03-2012, 11:53 PM
The supers have been stored since January, when they were taken off because they were empty. They got frosted, so hopefully got rid of any possible traces of wax moth, but I hadn't thought of comb and honey contamination from Virkon. Thanks for the reminder.

How long is it best to leave them to air after acetic acid, before using them?

gavin
23-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Depends, I suppose. I'd think that about a week would do it if it was not too cold and reasonably well ventilated. Even if there are traces of odour when it goes on the bees, they'll be fine and it will be gone by the time you harvest honey.

Ruary
26-03-2012, 06:26 PM
How long is it best to leave them to air after acetic acid, before using them?

My brother saw a swarm entering a brood box which had just had the acetic pads removed. So I don't think you need to worry too much. The books sat air for a week.
Ruary