PDA

View Full Version : looking to introduce bees to my land as it is my first year there but never kept bees

mackay
08-02-2012, 01:37 AM
hi every one im ian . i have at last the space to keep bees and grow fruit and veg . my dreem for many years . id like a few hives mabe 4 or 5 to start i stay just north of glasgow and was wondering if there is a club or mabe a keen group who i could learn from in my area . i would love to get started for this spring any advice would be aprecated . regards ian

gavin
08-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forum Ian. Best bet would be to seek out one of the local associations. Kilbarchan, Helensburgh, Lenzie (Kelvin Valley) for example. The first two have members regularly posting here, the Kelvin Valley (http://www.kvba.co.uk/) one has a web site. Four or five can be a bit of a handful until you get the hang of it, and there is the cost aspect too - easy to split your own colonies and build slowly. It is a great hobby, so do give it a go.

G.

EmsE
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Ian,

Kilbarchan have their next meeting on the 14th February at the steeple hall (ground floor) in kilbarchan at 7.30. It's a very positive and enthusiastic group of bee keepers and a really good opportunity to get to meet others in the area. We have a meeting on the 13th of march which Gavin will be attending to teach us about honey bee communication and also have a couple of apiary visits throughout the active season too.

Glasgow beekeepers hold their meetings on the 2nd Wednesday of the month (one is tonight) in partic burgh halls room 10 at 7.30.
There is a lot of association activity in the Glasgow area. Peter Stromburg organises the beginners classes, this years is almost finished but he may be able to advise if they are running the courses next year. He'll be at the meeting tonight and next Tuesday.

Jimbo
08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Ian,

Helensburgh and District have their meetings on the last Thursday of the month. We also intend to run a beginners course in April that will be followed up by practical sessions starting in May at our club apairy where beginners can get hands on experience working with bees before committing themselves to keeping their own. We also operate a mentoring system and assist in obtaining a bees for beginners who join our association. You can get more information at our web site. http://www.helensburghbees.com