PDA

View Full Version : Emotionally unstable

gavin
14-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Snipped from Bee-L ....

A questionnaire on beekeepers’ physical and mental health and working practice was included in 3 German beekeeping journals. A reference group also completed the questionnaire. The survey reached approximately 35,000 beekeepers.

Results: Altogether, 1053 questionnaires were returned. No significant differences were seen between the 2 groups. The mean number of bee stings annually was 57.8 (median, 30; range, 0 – 1000). Overall, 46 (4.4 %) beekeepers reported systemic reactions to bee stings, 797 (75.6 %) had mild local reactions, and 196 (18.6 %) had no reactions. The study confirmed several risk factors. These were, in descending order of importance, symptoms of upper respiratory allergy while working on the hive, presence of other allergies, time spent as a beekeeper, and more severe nonallergic reactions to bee stings in springtime. These factors identified beekeepers at risk of allergic reactions to bee venom in 85.2 % of cases.

In this study we used the INKA-h questionnaire to assess emotional instability (neuroticism or negative affectivity). Our analysis showed that those beekeepers who were allergic to bee venom were more emotionally unstable and nervous and more likely to complain about pain and to suffer from anger and fears.

Allergy to Bee Venom in Beekeepers in Germany
K Münstedt. Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2008; Vol. 18(2): 100-105

LOL!! That's me told then. In my defence m'lud it was quite a few years ago and I'm maybe more laid-back now. In fact, I got better .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYO0joolR0

Actually, come to think of it, I do remember that being allergic leaves you more nervous than you might otherwise be.

Neils
15-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I do remember that being allergic leaves you more nervous than you might otherwise be.
I can't think why that might be.