PDA

View Full Version : Pollen substitute

Kate Atchley
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know a UK source of low-fat soya flour? Here's hoping ...

Kate:confused:

Jimbo
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I got soya flour and brewers yeast for Holland & Barrets last year but never go around to using it

Kate Atchley
12-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Was it low-fat soya flour (pollen has 4% fat ... soya flour 20% unless the fat is reduced)?

I've been wondering about using gram/chickpea flour instead of (full-fat) soya as the fat content is nearer that of pollen ... but lower proteins.

Winter quandaries ... and time to explore them ...

gavin
12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Oddly enough, I've spent much of the day in a meeting for a project which may provide a source of home-grown high protein flour, from field/faba beans. But not quite yet ...

Bags I test it on bees first.

susbees
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Defatted soya flour is used in Granose and Goodness TVP products (being veggie I can't see the attraction in them, but I digress...). Maybe contact the companies direct? And report back...

Adam
12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Kirk boy asked the same question here

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/showthread.php?381-Fat-Free-Soya-Flour

I've just looked at the bag I got from H&B last year and it's 20%. Bees still alive though! The above thread links to another one - well it used to due to -- err well I won't go into that now! I've just had a quick look and can't find the original thread I referred to. We may have to wait for Gavin and his high protein flour. It's not GM is it Gavin?

gavin
12-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Not GM (unfortunately!). Could be though, if you really want .....

Arfermo
06-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I found a link elsewhere on this forum http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/soy_protein_isolate but nobody seems to have tried this stuff. Anybody got a source for fat free or defatted soya yet which will do the job for pollen patties which meet the criteria set in main beekeeping sites please .

Neils
06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I think two of the three threads have the following link, this one doesn't. I've not tried this myself, but from the other thread:

I have tracked down a source of De-fatted Soya

Can be found at www.tailsupbait.co.uk

(note the UK)

It seems you need a sassenac to educate you!

regards

John H Fisher

Arfermo
06-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes - I've been there but that site doesn't give any breakdown of the constituents of their soya flour - and I've seen loads of other sites where it has 18% fat. Might be OK for fish but I want certainty that it's suitable for bees. As previously, anybody tried it or is there a better source?
Thanx,
Arfermo

Kate Atchley
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I've decided to use crushed-up soya "mince" instead of flour (widely available). Assuming the packet is accurate, it has no additives and is made with low-fat soya flour, so the constituents are a good fit for the bees. Here's hoping ...

Kate

Trog
07-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Just gave my lot a small slice each of the ready-made stuff from Thorne's to try. They fell upon it with glee (though they're also bringing in the real thing when they can get out and about).

Arfermo
08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I have now found a link that gives me what I was after at http://www.oneon.co.uk/store/products,soy-protein-isolate_50.htm
and I have ordered it. Was advised that body builders use the low or NIL fat soya - so that is the place to look. My physique would not gain anything at my age but here goes for some of my bees.
OK.

markadams
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi,

How did you get on with the flour? I have also been trying t source Soya flour. I notice that the stuff you found is Soy flour NOT Soya flour, does this make any difference?

Mark.

markadams
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Just looked at it again and notice that it is 90% protein, is this correct? Seems very high.