View Full Version : Bee power

chris
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder if the electricity in the lines is solar, wind, or atomic:confused:

http://ruche.populaire.free.fr/essaim/pylone_edf/2008-06-21/

gavin
07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Quelqu'un at-il sauver les essaims?

It would have been nice to have bees with a bit of a spark about them.

chris
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Quelqu'un at-il sauver les essaims?

Well I know they were still there a year later, but after that ,no idea, although I've heard of a colony surviving 4 years in a pylon.What's interesting is that the cavity had 2 holes, one facing SW and the other NE . At the end of October, the bees propolysed the NE entrance for the winter.

It would have been nice to have bees with a bit of a spark about them..
Who needs that? There are enough bright sparks among the beekeepers:p

gavin
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
LOL! We now have ospreys with much the same idea. Not the blocking up of holes facing the cold way for winter (they sensibly migrate to Africa instead) but the use of electrified towers for nest sites. They tend to sway less in the wind than topless old pine trees ... although I'm not sure how stable any of them will be tomorrow.

GRIZZLY
13-12-2011, 09:58 AM
LOL! We now have ospreys with much the same idea. Not the blocking up of holes facing the cold way for winter (they sensibly migrate to Africa instead) but the use of electrified towers for nest sites. They tend to sway less in the wind than topless old pine trees ... although I'm not sure how stable any of them will be tomorrow.

Takes a brave egg thief to steal osprey eggs up a pylon Gavin.I wonder if this is an example of so called natural selection ??.