PDA

View Full Version : Bees Nest in attic and need advice

james
18-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a new house and was up in the attic tonigh for the first time.

There is a huge bees nest in the roof space ( backing onto the chimney ) not sure what to do. Would be keen to move them ( even learn to keep them in the garden ) but not sure where to start. Last thing i want to do is have them removed by rentokil as I know bees ( especially wild ones ) are in decline.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Jimbo
18-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi James,

A few questions.

Are you certain they are honeybees and not wasps? Wasps are yellow striped and have a waist. A honeybee looks more like a fly and darker in colour. A wasps nest is usually like a grey football shaped and a honeybees will have slabs of comb.

What part of scotland do you live in?

If you are certain they are honeybees then if you check the Scottish Beekeepers web site and look for your local association secretary. Give them a phone and they will advise you

james
18-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi - not positive to be honest, the home report noted that there was a bees nest and the previous owner advised me that they had been confirmed as bees - The nest is in the attic space and having looked at images on google i am almost certain.

If i were to take a picture of the nest would i be able to post / email to you

james
18-10-2011, 08:54 PM
sorry i live in melrose - scottish borders

james
18-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi - not positive to be honest, the home report noted that there was a bees nest and the previous owner advised me that they had been confirmed as bees - The nest is in the attic space and having looked at images on google i am almost certain.

If i were to take a picture of the nest would i be able to post / email to you

Trog
18-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't let Rentokil near them. They killed a colony in the school near my apiary, my bees went robbing and my two lovely colonies died a horrible death. Do take a photo; it's possible to post them here. If they're easy to get at someone's bound to want them!

Adam
19-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Wasps will die out in the winter. bees won't. (Well they shouldn't).
If they are not in your way they (bees) can stay a while so thee's no rush from the bees perspective, but I expect someone would be happy to take them and look after them if they can gain access.

Neils
19-10-2011, 05:01 PM
James, short answer as writing on a phone, yes a picture would be very helpful.

The FAQ thread will give you the options on how to post a picture.