PDA

View Full Version : Hi All help please

Peduk
27-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi
New bee keeper my first year, started in May.

is it to late to put apiguard on, as i was going to use oxalic acid only, but got it a bit of a 2@8, as i have lost my mentor so bit stuck, sorry if covered before, but would appriciate some advice this late on.
regards
steve

Jon
27-09-2011, 12:26 PM
It is a bit late but using apiguard now will be better than not using it at all.
The rule of thumb is temperatures over 15c for it to be effective and evaporate properly.
You need to kill most of the mites now so that your colony rears healthy bees for overwintering

Adam
27-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.
Its later than is ideal but put it on. I'm not too far from you and its warm here - a good time in fact.

Oxalic Acid only kills the mites that are not in cells so it is best done when there is little brood rearing - i.e. in the depths of winter.

Neils
27-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Steve, I'll third what's already been said. Forecast here for the next week is 20+ degrees so you should get a decent stretch at full efficacy even if the temperatures drop over the next couple of weeks.

The Drone Ranger
28-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Exomite apis (powder)works at lower temps but only if the bees are flying freely ie nectar coming in
It seems to kill very young open brood near the floor though so its worth checking the laying pattern first.
On the positive side wasps wont go over the powder to get in the hive so it helps control wasp attacks