PDA

View Full Version : Afb

gavin
07-09-2011, 08:01 PM
The Scottish Government issued this yesterday. There were AFB cases in the Inverness area (and several others!) in 2009.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6, 2011

Bee disease confirmed
American Foulbrood detected in Inverness-shire

An outbreak of American Foulbrood (AFB), a disease affecting colonies of honeybees, has been found in an apiary in Inverness-shire.

The disease was confirmed this week following laboratory diagnosis by Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture (SASA). This follows two previous outbreaks of AFB in the Perthshire area earlier this year.

The AFB infected hive will be destroyed as there is no permitted treatment for the disease in the UK. There are no risks to public health from AFB and no implications for the quality and safety of honey.

The affected apiary is located in Inverness-shire and the movement of bees and related equipment into or out of the affected apiary is prohibited.

Bee farmers and beekeepers are being urged to be vigilant for signs of the disease, to maintain good husbandry practices and to notify any suspicion of disease to BeesMailbox@scotland.gsi.gov.uk.

In order to assist Scottish Government Bee Inspectors to control this and other diseases, beekeepers are urged to register on BeeBase, the national bee database. This will give them access to up-to-date information on the control of AFB and bee related issues.

Beekeepers in the area of this outbreak who are not on BeeBase are requested to send their contact details to BeesMailbox@scotland.gsi.gov.uk.

Background

AFB is a notifiable disease under The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Order 2007. It kills off bee larva, is highly contagious and difficult to eradicate. Unlike European Foulbrood (EFB) hives with AFB cannot be treated and must be destroyed.

Further information and details on how to register on BeeBase can be found at www.scotland.gov.uk/beehealth (http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/www.scotland.gov.uk/beehealth)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They also said that beekeepers registered on BeeBase and within a few km of the affected apiary will be notified automatically. One good reason for signing up (https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/register.cfm).

(http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/www.scotland.gov.uk/beehealth)

Adam
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
My Dad's bees got AFB when I was a child - early 70's - suspected the disease came from a colony in a disused church tower. Although brutal, I think destroying everything is a good strategy. The only parts remaining were the lifts of the WBC's after a pit was dug. He stopped keeping bees after that.

As a result of the destroy strategy, thankfully, AFB is very rare. I comiserate with the 'keeper(s) concerned. (I have difficulty squashing duff queens!)..

Ruary
28-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I got hit twice with AFB, the first time I had to destroy 8 of my 10 colonies and then within 2 years got hit again but only 2 colonies this time. The first time I went through all my colonies and killed any hive showing clinical signs of the disease burnt all the brood frames, and then as I had not marked my supers had to burn all the frames from them as well. All the timber boxes were thoroughly scorched as were floorboard etc. crown board were also consigned to flames.

gavin
28-09-2011, 09:30 PM
That must have been painful Ruary. I have both foulbroods nearby but seem to have escaped so far.