PDA

View Full Version : Another programme about bees

Trog
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I settled down this morning to label half the honey (himself is still bottling the rest) with Radio 4 for company. Up popped this programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013r2gv. Not bad, as bee programmes go, though a bit arty with intrusive music which I gather was meant to be there as part of the experience. I wonder if the scientists who tried to insert a few facts knew they were going to be paired with the sort of folk who meditate in front of beehives?

Neils
02-09-2011, 05:43 PM
About to go do some filming now. Can't actually remember what exactly it's for though, organised as ever!

Neils
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Well that was quite good fun. I'm now in a panic as to whether anything I said was actually accurate and whether the footage of the patch of brood that quite clearly has a dead, uncapped pupae slap bang in the middle of it that I was desperate to lug out and take a closer look at ends up in it.

It'll be a 3-5 minute piece at some point. Why does everyone keep banging on about CCD though? Varroa? not really interested, Hive beetle? no? Topilaelaps? no, Nosema? no.

Still they were nice chaps and I should get some nice photographs to spruce up the talks with now were coming into the close season.

Adam
04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
CCD seems to be an Americal problem - mostly - but they've done a good pr excercise on it!

Neil, Tell us more about your filming....

Neils
05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Freelance project as far as I'm aware and only supposed to be 3-5 minutes long at the end. A little annoyed that I pretty much had to force them to take macro shots of varroa rather than witter on CCD but on the plus side they're going to let me have copies and use of the photos and send me a copy once they've edited down. That said they were pretty curious about just about everything that I showed them and picked up on a few things that came up in conversation and decided to do a little piece on it so we'll see how it turns out.

Adam
07-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I got half-way through the programmes and gave up I'm afraid. Too arty for me.