PDA

View Full Version : Beginners in Perthshire.

mikemilespitcairn
02-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Folks,

A small group of people in my area are keen to set up a beekeeping group, most having been interested for some years but a little too nervous to start on their own. We have no beekeeping association near to us. We are starting to prepare equipment; some we have been given (Smith hives), some we are making, hopefully with the aim of starting in spring next year. Our biggest concern is finding a source of bees in our area of Scotland (Perthshire) that will be disease free, suited to the area, relatively easy to manage and an encouragement for beginners. We appreciate we may have to travel some distance to pick up a couple of nucs but we would appreciate the experience of the forum in recommending a reputable supplier in Scotland who will take an advanced order for next year.

Thanks, Mike

Neils
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi Mike,

I'll leave this up for now, but can you please not create duplicate posts. Can make life very confusing, for yourself as much as everyone else, as you end up with two parallel conversations going on (or worse yet end up sat staring at the thread that everyone else is ignoring wondering why no-one's replying while a conversation goes on in the other).

Cant answer your specific queries I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can.

ta.

Neil

mikemilespitcairn
02-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Sorry Neil. I didn't appreciate the problem. If you must remove one, make it the one on the East of Scotland section.

Thanks, Mike

Neils
02-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I'll link it to this thread Mike, and no worries :)

gavin
02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi Mike

What excellent news! Would you like to come to Longforgan sometime and I'll show you what we've started doing there? There are a couple of others in the Perth area who might be interested in coming along.

There are several people around who could supply you with bees next year and I'm happy to give you chapter and verse about each one. I don't think that you need worry about a supply of bees next year. There are several possibilities even within Tayside. I don't think that you need to reserve any now, just make contact early enough next year.

At the moment there is a gap between the East of Scotland Beekeepers Association which meets in Dundee and the Dunblane and Stirling one. There is, of course, also the Fortingall Beekeepers. However at one time there was an active group centred in Perth. I've had a few discussions with the secretary about reviving it but we haven't done anything about it yet. If you are anywhere near Perth and aspire to set up a group that is fantastic.

I'll send you a PM with more contact details.

all the best

Gavin

PS This thread was asking mostly about the supply of bees and the other was on beginners' classes, Nellie. Seems fine to me.
It was no big deal, but pre-edit, the main body of the post here was in the other thread too and I just thought there was the potential for a bit of confusion, hence linking that one to here instead :), Nel. I don't want to derail the thread any further so I've edited this instead.

Okay-dokey. Ta.