PDA

View Full Version : swarm in july

keb
25-07-2011, 03:45 PM
how can I build this small swarm/cast which arrived 14 July to be strong enough to overwinter (Smith Hive) Lost both my 2 boxes last winter and thought I'd never see bees again. Have fed sugar syrup and honey but don't want to look in hive until, hopefully, there are active new bees. Know nothing about disease treatment or prevention, any good books?
Where and when do Inverness beekeepers meet and can anyone join?
keb

Jon
25-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Keb.
Only feed if they need it.
Feeding honey is a big disease risk and imported supermarket honey should never be used as it can hold AFB spores.
the limiting factor with a small colony is the number of bees which can cover and incubate brood as opposed to the amount you feed it.
Make sure it has a couple of week's reserves, ie a couple of frames of stores and that's more than enough.
Be careful with feeding as it can set off wasp attacks especially in a small colony.

How many frames does it cover at the moment?

gavin
25-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi keb

Stella is the Inverness secretary. Find here here:

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/contacts/html/local.html

The Inverness beekeepers meet in the forestry place a couple of miles along the road to Nairn. Stella will give you details.

Bee diseases? Feeding? Try here:

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=167

Books? Oh yes! Any number. Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey is a good one.

cheers

Gavin

Adam
25-07-2011, 08:07 PM
As a small colony - I assume and before you answer Jons question - making a smaller space for the bees to keep warm will help. Celotex/Kingspan insulation in the brood chamber to reduce the size will help. (A piece on top would help too). Only once they have drawn the frames they are on should more space be given. They are unlikely to swarm again so to keep them cosy is not a problem in my opinion.

You do need to see how big the colony is; if there is a laying queen and the level of stores. If it is a cast, then the queen may have only just started to lay or may not even be ready yet.

keb
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
thanks for all info.now have box full of inccredibly non agressive bees and honey

keb
01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
lots of polite bees and honey,can scarcely lift box. thanks again
keith