PDA

View Full Version : Brood movement

Hoomin_erra
24-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Looking for advice here.

I have 2 hives about an hour from home, one of which is exploding like crazy.

I also have a small swarm that moved into an empty hive at home. Probably only a fistful or 2 of bees which are being fed.

If i want to move a frame of brood from the large hive an hour away, what is the best way? Do i just pop a frame in a brood box with floor and travel screen and transport them? Or is the lack of heat going to cause issues?

Jon
24-07-2011, 09:35 PM
If the brood is sealed and well advanced. ie just a couple of days off hatching you will have no problem unless you transport it in a fridge. Sealed brood is pretty resilient in summer.

fatshark
24-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Assuming it's just the brood you want I'd just wrap it in newspaper and bring it back. However, if it's brood and associated bees then do as you suggest but take care to prevent the frame shifting around in the brood box.

I built a two frame nuc box with carry handles which I use for this sort of job ... also perfect for shifting grafted larvae between apiaries when wrapped in a warm tea towel or for protecting the frame with the queen on when harvesting bees to populate mini-nucs.

--
fatshark

Neils
24-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Wrapping the frame in newspaper is what I've been told to do too.

Hoomin_erra
24-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Cheers guys