PDA

View Full Version : Apistan

ebee
22-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I have read that Apistan can be used during the honey flow I have also read that Apistan should not be used during the honey flow anyone know what is correct.

Jon
22-07-2011, 10:43 PM
It is not supposed to be used during honey flow as you will end up with contaminated honey in the supers.

nematode
23-07-2011, 12:28 PM
The Apistan website says "No detectable residue in honey" http://www.vita-europe.com/products/Apistan I was under the impression that it could be used with supers on?

chris
23-07-2011, 03:37 PM
The Apistan website says "No detectable residue in honey"

Yep, it does say that. On the other hand, Aubert et al. 2008 gives the following: for 226 samples analysed, the average content of tau-fluvalinate (active ingredient of Apistan) in the HONEY was 44.7 microgrammes per kilogramme. Of course this does not mean that its presence came from the application of Apistan...............................

ebee
23-07-2011, 06:43 PM
The Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) leaflet on Managing Varroa gives a varroacides table on page 23 which states that Apistan can be used during honey flow. This is why the question was asked.

Jon
23-07-2011, 07:36 PM
edit

The Drone Ranger
24-07-2011, 05:41 PM
ebee

Its a funny thing that I do believe it used to be definitely recommended not to use it during the honey flow
Thats really why it was used in September mostly after the supers were off,
Sometimes it best to make your own judgement I wouldn't use it myself.

Do you have a varroa problem at the moment and supers still on ?

Jon
24-07-2011, 09:32 PM
That's why I did the edit above. I was sure it could not possible that it is permitted to use Apistan when supers are on but the fera website does say that.
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I certainly would not risk getting it in the honey.

ebee
26-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Drone Ranger, I don't have a varroa problem I was just reading the FERA leaflet about Varroa control and wondered what people thoughts were I suppose it is up to the individual, typical beekeeping.

Jimbo
26-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I was always under the impression that you do not use any chemical treatments when you have supers on. In an emergency you take the supers off if you have to treat.

The Drone Ranger
26-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Drone Ranger, I don't have a varroa problem I was just reading the FERA leaflet about Varroa control and wondered what people thoughts were I suppose it is up to the individual, typical beekeeping.

Well spotted -- very strange

chris
27-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Apidologie 41 (2010) 353–363
Varroa mites and honey bee health: can Varroa explain part
of the colony losses?*
Yves Le Conte1, Marion Ellis2, Wolfgang Ritter3

This paper contains the following phrase:

To avoid residues in honey
a chemical treatment can be done only after the
harvest.

it adds, however,

At this time, the mite population has
often already reached injurious levels.

So that should indicate what you choose between.

nematode
29-07-2011, 03:57 PM
It was my impression that the active chemical is highly fat soluble and not very soluble in nectar and honey at all. I thought this meant that the eating of the honey was ok and the eating of the honeycomb was a complete no no. I had a bad varroa problem earlier in the year and I had to treat and choose apistan after taking advice and researching a bit. I believed this would give me the option of adding a super if they needed the space which they did in the end.

One thing that did set me thinking was the prospect of using any of the wax in a treated hive for anything. I assume the wax might be unusable for melting and using in skin care products etc no matter what time of year? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

gavin
29-07-2011, 10:36 PM
You are right that the pyrethroids move into the wax and are at very low levels in the pure extracted honey. The responses that you've seen are typical ones. Most beekeepers are cautious about such chemicals and don't want even small traces in their honey.

Some of the research published by Maryann Frazier and colleagues showed shocking levels of contamination of wax in particular by some of the treatments used by some beekeepers in the US. The suspicion is that arose from mistreatment, perhaps with non-approved sources and means of applying the chemicals.

If you are cautious in what you apply, sticking to label recommendations and going beyond that by not treating while supers are on, then the wax from your super comb should be pure enough for most folk if you are planning making cosmetics.

Neils
30-07-2011, 04:20 PM
There has been a UK based study this year into what's in wax, it'll be interesting to see what the results of that are. I suspect that the biggest contaminate will be pyrethoids despite me not ever having used them.

Adam
01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I've not used pyrethroids either. I wonder if the cheap wax from Thornes (imported I believe) is better than the 'luxury' wax which I think is UK sourced.

Nellie, how are you getting on with your foundationless frames?

Neils
01-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Generally not too bad. I took a reasonably pragmatic approach and alternated them with foundation. I have had a couple of mishaps where a frame has been drawn out too far, especially at the top where they place stores but it is pretty straightforward to rectify. My biggest complain in some respects is that when you've only got one or two foundation less in a brood box they draw the whole lot nicely as drone comb, but a fair few of my frames are a right old mishmash of work and drone comb.