PDA

View Full Version : Gregor Mendel was a beekeeper

Jon
20-07-2011, 10:56 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/07/20/gregor-mendel-google-doodle-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-scientist-115875-23284766/

I wonder was he up to speed about the haplo-diploid nature of bee genetics or did he treat them like peas.

Jimbo
21-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Point 8 is interesting. Looks like he found out what happens when you cross pure strains and get agressive hybrids produced.

The Drone Ranger
24-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Point 8 is interesting. Looks like he found out what happens when you cross pure strains and get agressive hybrids produced.

Actually it just shows that even the father of all geneticists couldn't breed bees for toffee

Jimbo
24-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Just as well he stuck to peas then!

The Drone Ranger
24-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Just as well he stuck to peas then!

boiled peas works for me
not so sure about boiled bees though :)

Jon
24-07-2011, 09:28 PM
You often hear it said that some things do not follow simple Mendelian genetics. Like when you hear something is controlled by up to ten additive genes or that colour in bees is polygenic. I imagine haplodiploid stuff was not imagined until the likes of Watson and Crick put forward the double helix structure re pairs of chromosomes. Mendel would not have had a clue about this when he was arsing about with his pea plants.

The Drone Ranger
31-07-2011, 02:40 PM
You often hear it said that some things do not follow simple Mendelian genetics. Like when you here something is controlled by up to ten additive genes or that colour in bees is polygenic. I imagine haplodiploid stuff was not imagined until the likes of Watson and Crick put forward the double helix structure re pairs of chromosomes. Mendel would not have had a clue about this when he was arsing about with his pea plants.

Bit harsh that Jon
Just be grateful he saved you from wrinkled peas :)

My bees are on the peas at the moment (not in the pub !)