PDA

View Full Version : Advice on sections

marion.orca
18-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I have only had my bees since the 26th June and my reason for starting out was based more on the serious decline in the honeybee population rather than the honey I may eventually harvest. Having trawled through a popular catalogue I came across sections as opposed to wired foundation. I particularly like the idea of them for the future but would appreciate any input, positive or negative, as to their effectiveness. Has any of you experienced beekeepers tried these and if so which ones worked the best for the bees ? Thanks for your time.

gavin
18-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Marion

I haven't tried sections but I think that they are really for very experienced beekeepers. Colonies have to be really powerful for sections to work. If you like the idea of honey in the comb (and many people prefer it that way) try putting in your super frames thin foundation or even just a strip of a cm or so. Then you can cut out rectangles after it has been capped and keep it in those inexpensive plastic tubs you can get from Thornes (there - I named them!). This works best with honey that doesn't granulate quickly (heather honey, lime, some suburban honey) rather than honey that does set (rape, clover, willowherb).

Nice to see you posting

Gavin

Jon
18-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Marion.
I agree with Gavin's comments.
Colonies have to be huge and you need a strong nectar flow as well.
I have two supers which have sections in and I can rarely get them filled and capped.
The last time was about 5 years ago.
I have one on a colony at the moment but it is really just to give the bees a bit more leg room.
Bees will walk over sections to store nectar in any supers which happen to be above.
It is the most attractive presentation of honey but look at all the wood which gets chucked away.
A lot of waste involved.
One of my earliest memories is helping my dad assemble sections at the kitchen table.
They have to be wetted at the joints and carefully folded so that none of the sides snap off.

Neils
18-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I've never tried sections, I've never met a beekeeper who's got anything nice to say about them, but plenty who echo what Gavin and Jon have said.

I'll happily promote using super frames without foundation though, especially for cut comb which is far easier on Bee and Beekeeper if you want to produce comb honey.

Jon
18-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Cut comb seems to have taken over from sections and I can see why as it is far more straightforward to produce and can be sold for a King's ransom.

marion.orca
18-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Thank you to all who have taken the time to reply - I appreciate all the input. I like the idea of just putting a cm or so and letting the bees do what they will and it sounds far less complicated a process too. However for the moment as it's just a beginner nucleus the bees get to keep any of this seasons production entirely for themselves [ though I may have a little finger dip just for taste ! ] to help them over the coming winter months. Once they become a stronger colony, then and only then will I think about a wee bit for ourselves. I'd also like to thank Lochaber Beekeeper Association, in particular Kate Atchley, for supplying me with my first nucleus.