PDA

View Full Version : Killer bees

voytech104
14-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi All,
Today I approached a farmer asking him about keeping beehives on his farm and been told by his wife that swarming bees killed 4 horses recently.
Is this something that can happen more often?
Generally swarming bees are calmer, arent they?

Reason I posted this thread in Starting out is because I`m just starting out and trying to:
- find a place for my first 1-2 beehives
- find nucs (maybe its not to late this year)

Thanks all for answers,

gavin
14-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Yup, a swarm is most unlikely to bother a horse. People sometimes use the term swarm for just a number of flying bees. They are probably recalling this news item (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13942849).

My beekeeping landlady is very fond of her horses and sometimes rides by the hives. Usually they are a whole field apart and they don't bother each other. However if animals can access bee hives directly .. and especially if the animal retaliates when pestered or stung .. then things could go badly wrong. Don't let it put you off but do find a place where animals and bees are kept apart with a fence.

Trog
14-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I've had a swarm of bees hanging right next to my horse's haynet (on a tree branch) and they didn't bother each other. She grazes near the beehives and has been stung maybe twice in 20 years.

Swarming bees are generally calmer but there are sometimes hangers-on causing trouble!

Not too late for a nuc, depending where you are. Are you part of a local association?

Trog
14-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting article, Gavin. It did mention the hives were disturbed (perhaps by one of the horses?). I rather wish the marauding deer would get seen off by bees. Deer droppings beside the hives today and the wretched things have walked across my onion bed, too. The deer, that is, not the bees!

Did anyone else notice that the photo must have been taken in an observation hive? One or two of the bees were upside down (or maybe trying to scratch their backs ;) )

voytech104
14-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I dont think that anything CAN put me off :)
Having visited my parents in Poland and helping them with 25 hives was just life changing experience. Taking care of them, finding queen, recognising larvae, drones, stealing honey :)...
I am reading a lot though about differences in beekeeping now in Scotland. I dont believe in importing bees from anywhere is a good thing. I`d like to take on AMM - probably they are more accustomed to beautiful scottish weather? Problem is to find any nucs now.

voytech104
14-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I've had a swarm of bees hanging right next to my horse's haynet (on a tree branch) and they didn't bother each other. She grazes near the beehives and has been stung maybe twice in 20 years.

Swarming bees are generally calmer but there are sometimes hangers-on causing trouble!

Not too late for a nuc, depending where you are. Are you part of a local association?

Not Yet - I wrote to couple of associations but no answer yet. I live in Coatbridge but willing to travel quite far distances :)

gavin
14-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Good luck finding bees Voytech. There are still a few swarms about so putting out an empty box might, just might, bring you bees. There are people in the Glasgow area on the forum so maybe one of them will get in touch with you.

We have some Polish beginners in our group (which meets in Dundee) and they also seem very keen!

The Drone Ranger
16-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Always worth ringing Thornes Scotland they have a notice board for customers and might have someone on it with bees in your area

By the way that farmers wife is nuts

voytech104
16-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Got my first hive today :) I drove 335 miles to get it. Financially not worth it - views and driving experience - priceless. I`m desperate enough to go there again to get nucleus next week or in two weeks - so if anyone in Your area has nuc to sell... ;)
Looking through my wood stock - I only have 18mm cedar cladding and not sure if this is thick enough to build next one.

I`ll try Thornes on monday.

The Drone Ranger
25-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Got my first hive today :) I drove 335 miles to get it. Financially not worth it - views and driving experience - priceless. I`m desperate enough to go there again to get nucleus next week or in two weeks - so if anyone in Your area has nuc to sell... ;)
Looking through my wood stock - I only have 18mm cedar cladding and not sure if this is thick enough to build next one.

I`ll try Thornes on monday.

Can't help on the bee front Perthshire and Angus beekeepers have a voluntary agreement not to move or supply bees outside the area because of the recent EFB/AFB probs

Best of luck though :)