PDA

View Full Version : Thornes queen cage

Adam
04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I may be a bit thick but has anyone used this Thornes queen cage?

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/thorne/shop/springer?ACTION=thispage&THISPAGE=page10112.html&ORDER_ID=313634220#

The blerb states this:-

"A multi-use cage for posting, introduction, marking, trapping and gathering sample bees. The ergonomic shape makes it particularly easy to use".

However I am not sure how you could mark a queen with such a cage and although it has two compartments which are under a clip-in flap - presumably these two are for for candy - only one of the compartments has an entrance/exit to the outside world and this is through a zig-zag of plastic which may mean that bees can get in but the queen could not get out.

Dan
07-07-2011, 11:05 PM
No, nor seen one up close. I must admit I'm not a fan of queen cages that seek to remove the contact between beekeeper and queen. I understand why these are invaluable for some, however, but if you have the eyesight and dexterity then handing queens with bare hands gives you greater respect and empathy for them. I frequently work my bees without gloves, and it's a refreshingly tactile experience.

I'll order one next time I need some bits and pieces; maybe it's something useful I've not come across yet, or maybe it's a candidate for the rogue's gallery...? :)

Trog
07-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm just about to order one as I thought it was about time I thought about marking my queens for the first time in 20+ years. Considering departing from the normal colours, though, so if I pick up a swarm I know whether it's one of mine! Hope it comes with instructions as to use.

Adam
11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
No instructions. I can see how you'd gather a few bees but not enough to send away for examination. I use cages for introduction and I'm not sure how they're supposed to be used. The ones that Jon showed look OK. I usually use the cheap ones from the buzzy bee shop.