PDA

View Full Version : Help

janesik
23-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Demarreed a hive on May 28th. In hive without queen , queen cells were drawn on one frame. Removed all but the "best" one. Went in today (June 23)-Cell hadn't hatched. Removed top and a bee started to crawl out. Rapidly replaced frame and closed up but what is going on! If this is a queen is it going to be any good? Should I add a frame of eggs or is it too late in the season.

gavin
23-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Jane

One possibility is that a queen emerged, that a worker went in for the rest of the royal jelly, got stuck, the hatch was fixed back on, and that you liberated the worker. If that is what happened you may have a virgin on the loose and ready to claim her crown. It could easily be another week or two before she comes into lay.

What are the bees like - reasonable temper or not? Hopelessly queenless colonies can be devils.

What about the brood nest area - do they have a cleared area with a well-defined arc of pollen around it as if they are getting ready for a new queen?

G.

janesik
23-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Gavin
Temperament not too bad. Not sure about brood area - with recent weather pollen stores are a bit limited anyway. Bee that was emerging looked very young (grey) and was coming out head first. Will hope for the best.
J

janesik
24-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Have given the hive a frame of eggs in case. Children were less worrying than bees!

Hoomin_erra
24-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Have given the hive a frame of eggs in case. Children were less worrying than bees!

You sure about that? I may beg to differ.

janesik
10-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Went into hive today after a week away. Looks as though I've got a drone laying queen as there are only capped drone cells apart from some capped cells that I think were from the frame of eggs that I gave the colony. There are unsealed larva - not huge amounts. Can't find her and there are not many eggs around. Bees seem fairly placid. What do I do next?

Jon
11-07-2011, 12:01 PM
If you have a drone laying queen, you need to remove her and requeen the colony. If you have laying workers it is more complicated.
If there are single eggs in cells it is a drone laying queen. If you see multiple eggs in cells it will be laying workers.
Cross your fingers it is a drone laying queen as that is much easier to sort out.

Adam
13-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Unlikely to be laying workers as some brood was popped in and brood keeps the urge for workers to try to lay.

I have seen queens place more than one egg in a cell - just to confirm that queens don't read books!724

Problem is that DLQ's can be buggers to find!

(For the nucleus colony in the picture - last year - I shook the bees out in front of a strong colony).

Jon
13-07-2011, 09:09 PM
True enough, new queens often lay several eggs in a cell until they get the hang of it.