PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Jenny
18-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm really interested in giving beekeeping a go (or at least finding out a little bit more about it all) and wonder if anyone has any helpful advice? I can't seem to find much in the way of courses online and am keen to find out if there are any courses being run in Perthshire or Stirlingshire in 2011?

Any feedback welcomed!

Thanks all,
Jenny

Trog
18-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Hello, Jenny, and welcome! Gavin'll be along in a moment, I'm sure, to give you advice; he's probably out playing with his bees just now (as indeed I was until the midges drove me in!)

gavin
18-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I was indeed. Out playing with bees and beekeepers, beginners and otherwise!

We had a summer (summer!) meeting at our new apiary near Longforgan this afternoon and weren't going to let a little rain put us off. We ran four indoor lessons (in Dundee) in Feb and March and continued that with beginner apiary visits in April and May. However beginners contact us through the summer, and they are all made welcome at our summer meetings. If you are simply curious about bees then you would be welcome to see my bees towards Perth sometime, or you may find beekeepers closer to hand.

The East of Scotland Beekeepers Association meets in Dundee and has members from the Arbroath area to Muthil, though most are east of Perth. There used to be a group based in Perth but it is sleeping gently. There is another active group that meets in Dunblane and has members from west of Perth to Falkirk. One more meets in Camserney near Aberfeldy, the Fortingall BKA. The Dunblane one runs beginners classes and has at least one member in Crieff I think.

So - take your pick!

Welcome to the forum anyway.

Gavin

Neils
18-06-2011, 08:41 PM
On a more General basis Jenny, you've found a good resource in this forum whether just to read up on things that catch your eye or, more usefully, to ask questions that you might have (we don't bite).

I think getting yourself on a course is definitely a good start. Round our neck of the woods we tend to run them over winter, but now would be a good opportunity to attend perhaps some association apiary meetings and events, get a chance to get up close and personal to bees, chat to people and see whether it is something that definitely takes your fancy.

Jenny
18-06-2011, 09:31 PM
On a more General basis Jenny, you've found a good resource in this forum whether just to read up on things that catch your eye or, more usefully, to ask questions that you might have (we don't bite).

I think getting yourself on a course is definitely a good start. Round our neck of the woods we tend to run them over winter, but now would be a good opportunity to attend perhaps some association apiary meetings and events, get a chance to get up close and personal to bees, chat to people and see whether it is something that definitely takes your fancy.

Hello all,

Many thanks for the super-quick responses.

Gavin - this is excellent news. There seems to be a lot more going on than I had imagined and I work in Dunblane, so I think getting in contact with them would be ideal. Do you have a phone number or email that you would be able to pass on? Also, if you're serious about being able to come and see your bees at some point, I'd love to do that.

Nellie - I agree entirely! Plan is to get a really good idea what it's all about before I think about doing it on my own.

gavin
18-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Jenny

You have mail! :)

By way of a Private Message.

G.