PDA

View Full Version : Beehaus hives

Kate Atchley
17-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Has anyone used the Beehaus plastic hive sold by Omlet. What's your experience of it?

It is lighter than most, so how will it fare on a windy site compared with a wooden hive?

Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Kate

Neils
17-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Get the sandbags ready, incoming! :)

Calum
17-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi,
seen them, and the prices! I really wouldnt bother.
Use wooden boxes - they are far easier to clean (flame them out), and cheaper, and very light.
I think the most important choice is the frame size - an that should be what ever is in most common use where you are - that way you can easily transfer bought nucs directly into your gear, or loan someone a frame of food/pollen/open brood or get a loan there of.
I suspect whatever you get you will want to put a sturdy brick on top of it!

Adam
18-04-2011, 02:27 PM
There were design problems with them - so beware of second-hand models - but I think the problems have been fixed. I am yet to be convinced by the advantage of having - in essence - one hive fixed to the side of the other. I do find that I have to move hives around the apiary - artificial swarms, combining etc, and a twin hive would make this awkward just as a Dartington would, on which the beehaus is modelled.
I also assume that the coloured plastic will fade and look rubbish after a while too. Will it also become brittle too?

Trog
18-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Mice love plastic!

Kate Atchley
20-04-2011, 09:17 AM
All good ... thanks. Will surely deter the friend who was thinking of buying one. Certainly I wouldn't want to invest in all that plastic. Call me old fashioned ... ?!

Talking With Bees
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Kate,
I use cedar nationals but am very intersted in the beehaus. I have recently written a review of the beehaus (http://www.talkingwithbees.com/beekeeping/beehaus-review). I suspect I will get one at some point. The polystyrene hives look interesting too.
Roger

The Drone Ranger
30-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Reading Beecraft today a couple of contributors links were mentioned
Here's one http://www.girlmeetsbee.blogspot.co.uk
The Blogger Tanya Weaver uses a Beehaus and has an interesting and well written Blog