PDA

View Full Version : Osr

gavin
26-03-2011, 08:48 PM
... changing the subject slightly ...

On my way back from Perth today I was very surprised to see the state of the local OSR fields. Some have full-sized flower buds on some plants and another few warm days (if we get some) should see them open. Is spring earlier this year? If so, how come?! I see that on another forum it has been noted that OSR is now open in Devon.

G.

GRIZZLY
26-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I think its the arctic weather we had in November followed by the recent "heatwave" that's fooled everything into breaking into flower and leaf.Seems a month too early - hope we don't get another blast of winter.Bees are realy forward this year too.

gavin
27-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi Grizzly

I'm sure that you are right. The plants had early vernalisation and so early spring warmth is making many plants flower ahead of their normal time. I watch the trees closely at this time as we do airborne pollen counts. Hazel and grey alder were late, but willow seemed on time or even early. Birch might be a little early too but as it is still a wee bit away from flowering I can't be sure.

all the best

Gavin

Rosie
28-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Gavin

I didn't know about grey alders. I have plenty of alders on and around my wet land and have assumed they were common alders. Do you know how I can tell the difference?

You were right about my willows not having time to come out in the warm weather. It was minus 4 last night and still no sign of the male flowers but the females have started to open on a single tree. The first of my daffs have now opened too.

Thanks

Rosie

gavin
28-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Rosie

You probably have the native one, Alnus glutinosa, if it is on your land in wet areas and self-sown. It makes a gnarled tree - the grey alder (Alnus incana) is widely planted as an amenity tree, roadside landscaping, that kind of thing. You can buy it in nurseries too. No doubt it escapes sometimes but the large increase in its presence here in the last 20 years is due to it being planted by local councils and contractors on major road projects.

The grey alder has smoother bark and a more erect, neater habit. Also longer catkins that come out earlier than the native species.

Both have an arrangement with a bacterium to fix nitrogen in root nodules, an idea they pinched from the legumes (or was it the other way round?).

cheers

Gavin

Rosie
28-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks Gavin

From what you say I now suspect that I have both types. The river bordering my land was straightened by the water board in the '50s and they planted hundreds of alders along the banks. I also have plenty of natural alders in a little soggy woods and along ditches with willow and birch. I will have to keep an eye on them and try to confirm what they are. I have already given up trying to tell exactly what willow I have because it looks like goat but grows like a tree - up the 18 inches diameter, until it loses its footing in the wet ground and falls over, often breaking a fence in the process!

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread.

Rosie

Hoomin_erra
30-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Back to OSR. Going to be putting my bees near Spring sown OSR soon. First time for me.Can someone clarify something for me?
I know OSR apparently sets like concrete. But some people say that as long as you leave it on the hive it won't set due to the temp generated by the colony.

is this right? Or do i need to still remove it asap?

gavin
30-03-2011, 09:03 PM
No need to apologise for diverting the thread Steve - this one was almost designed for that.

HE: Spring-sown will be going in the ground soon (or might be already in) and is likely to flower in June and July, so there is no hurry. OSR sets hard whenever the bees have stopped working it. Usually it granulates around the edges of the super or individual frames even by the end of the flow - so remove it asap. Leaving it on the hive is asking for trouble.

Hoomin_erra
30-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks Gavin. No it's not one in yet, but i think it will be soon. But there are masses of gorse and willow in the area so that should tide them over until the osr flowers. I'll start booking the assoc extractor.

gavin
30-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Our willow is in full flower but will not last long. Is yours out yet? Maybe after the willow you will have blackthorn, fruit trees, bird cherry, dandelion, sycamore, hawthorn and even lime trees? Spring OSR often flowers from late June, but the timing will depend to a large extent on the sowing date.

cheers

Gavin

Hoomin_erra
30-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Yup, willow is out. They look like yellow cotton candy trees. Seen the first signs of blackthorn too.