PDA

View Full Version : Dave Cushman

Roger Patterson
26-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Sorry to be late with the news, but I've been very busy lately.

Dave Cushman passed away on Tues 22 Feb at around 5pm.

Several weeks before he died he asked me to take over his website and keep it running. This I will do and it is my intention to keep it in the manner that Dave would have approved of.

I am in contact with the family and if anyone would like to send a message of sympathy please email me on roger-patterson at btconnect.com and I will pass it on.

Roger Patterson.

Roger Patterson
27-02-2011, 01:23 PM
The funeral will be at Loughborough Crematorium on Mon March 7th at 3.30pm.

If any beekeepers will be attending please let me know as the family would like an idea of numbers.

Roger Patterson.

gavin
27-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks Roger

Dave helped many beekeepers across the globe and few in Scotland will have been unaware of the tremendous internet resource he developed. It has been and thankfully will remain one of the first places I go for beekeeping encyclopedia queries. As you can see it naturally featured in our 'Favourite Links' area.

After many years of knowing Dave through his appearances on the Irish list, on Bee-L, and via private correspondence, I was delighted to meet him at last at the SICAMM event in Aviemore, the SBA convention afterwards, and then at Stoneleigh and in a pub nearby. He was representing BIBBA at all three! It was clear to me that, even in his declining years, his mind was sharp and he still maintained a keen interest in the ladies. If I can manage both of these too I'll be well pleased.

Please give his family sincere condolences from everyone who know him north of the border.

Gavin

Stromnessbees
28-02-2011, 04:27 PM
A very sad loss, indeed.

After having visited his site numerous times I finally had the pleasure to meet him at the BIBBA conference in Ireland last September.

I was truly amazed though when I came across his website on an entirely different topic (JFK: http://www.realityreviewed.com/JFK%20murder.htm) - just shows that with Dave we have lost a multitalented genius who spent uncountable hours for the advancement of knowledge, not only in beekeeping.

Neils
28-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Do I get to claim a first by saying I'm a little lost at what to say about that link?

Stromnessbees
01-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Sorry, Nellie, I should have pointed out that one of Dave's interests was in old pistols. In case you haven't spotted it: this is the link I was referring to http://davecushman.net/derringer.html

Apparently Dave was quite an expert in the field and his website was sometimes used to shed light on the darker sides of human nature.

Neils
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Yep, I missed it, though my eyebrow muscles got a thorough workout perusing the rest of that site.

Kate Atchley
20-03-2011, 08:41 AM
I did not have the pleasure of meeting Dave Cushman but he will always be one of my beekeeping heros. He disseminated an awesome range of authoritative and practical advice and good practice through his website. Take his illustrated guide on frame assembly for instance: every beginner needs a copy!

He remains a role model for 21st century beekeepers ... exhorting us too to share our knowledge with others for the greater good of bees and beekeepers alike.

In appreciation

Kate

Rosie
20-03-2011, 10:04 AM
He was also an authority and active supporter of the native bee and will be particularly sadly missed by those of us who shared his opinion and looked to him for guidance. He once told me that one of his regrets was that he was not convinced of Beowulf Cooper's theories until after Beo had died. I suspect many will say the same about Dave.

Rosie