PDA

View Full Version : The frogs are getting horny

Neils
25-02-2011, 03:20 AM
They're out in the garden croaking away like mad, is spring starting to make an appearance?

And is it legal to shoot cats who I'm sure are waiting with baited breath for me to go to bed so they can descend in a killing and pooping frenzy the garden hasn't witnessed for some time.

Rosie
25-02-2011, 11:05 AM
No sign of frogs around here yet. It would be interesting if we could report frog activity on here so that we can watch it moving North as the season advances.

I have noticed that in some parts the Willow is starting to "pussy" but around here they are still dormant. Some of the lower hazels catkins are dangling but higher ones are still short and tight. No wonder bees have difficulty adjusting after being moved around the world.

I think you'd best keep your gun locked away till it's all over.

Rosie

necterboy
25-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I really can't believe what I'm reading. Frogs croaking, willows blooming. I'm sooo jealous we're still buried under 2metres of snow with more falling as I look out my window. Long live Scotland.......

Trog
25-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Here on Mull the first frogspawn appeared over a fortnight ago. Now we have 3 ponds heaving with busy, singing, spawning frogs. Looks like a bumper year for them!

Jon
25-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Frogspawn also noted in the greater Belfast area and the pond in my garden is heaving with frogs.

Jimbo
26-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Noticed frog spawn two weeks ago on the nature reserve where I have some hives. Also saw a very fat heron who was enjoying the frogs being attacked by a buzzard. Spring is just around the corner.

Rosie
01-03-2011, 08:47 PM
It reached 7 C today and the sun was shining so the bees were out foraging on crocuses and snowdrops. I found the elusive frog's spawn although not as much as previous years so I assume they are still at it despite me not seeing a frog. No sign of willow though and the daffs will be too late for St David's day but spring seems to be in the air at last.

Jon
01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
We had a sunny 12c today and the bees were flying strongly with loads of pollen coming in. Saw a patch of about 4 square metres of frogspawn in a swampy area near my allotment.