PDA

View Full Version : Editing Posts

Neils
20-02-2011, 06:34 PM
We seem to have lost the ability to edit posts. Owning far more than my fair share of thumbs (and tendency to post having been to the pub), it's useful to be able to tidy up the typos

Jon
20-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Gav reset the limit to 24 hours.

I would vote to extend that to at least 48 or more as I keep finding typos in my old posts.

chris
20-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Gav reset the limit to 24 hours.

I would vote to extend that to at least 48 or more as I keep finding typos in my old posts.

C'mon Jon. Just admit you have 48 hr hangovers;)

gavin
21-02-2011, 01:45 AM
I plead guilty. It seemed like a good idea at the time as posters on other fora have pulled their historical posts after getting into a tizzy, making the flow of the discussion incomprehensible.

Here's the plan: I've set that option to no time limit so you ought to be able to edit anything, but in a week or two I may put it back on, say to 48 hrs? So get busy correcting those pub-fuelled typos. Once it goes back on you'll still be able to make changes by special pleading with a moderator.

Neils
21-02-2011, 01:54 AM
I just get round it by quoting anything controversial that I think might get edited after the event.

That of course can occasionally lead to equally dickish behaviour where something obviously stupid said on a forum is quoted for "all time" before the original poster realises what they've said and edits it.

I think I've only pulled one post from a forum in recent years and that hadn't been replied to. If something I've said gets replied to I kind of feel duty bound to leave it up regardless of how idiotic it might make me look.

You will get a constant flurry of PMs from me asking to insert a comma here, change a typo there though, I will warn you in advance :p

gavin
21-02-2011, 02:05 AM
You'd never catch me resorting to such tactics ;) (well, unless I was arguing with BBM!).

Can still be persuaded away from the 48h rule if you try hard enough.

Neils
21-02-2011, 02:08 AM
the 50th PM asking you to change a comma to a semi colon will probably do it:D

Jon
21-02-2011, 02:09 AM
C'mon Jon. Just admit you have 48 hr hangovers;)

The only people who get 48 hour hangovers are people who rarely drink and then get persuaded to go on a bender.
I enjoy a regular tipple myself. (he said with glass of apple wine in hand)

Jon
21-02-2011, 02:11 AM
the 50th PM asking you to change a comma to a semi colon will probably do it:D

Time to let the apostrophe police off the leash.

Neils
21-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Time to let the apostrophe police off the leash.
The number of times I see bee's instead of bees... :mad:

Jon
21-02-2011, 02:18 AM
The number of times I see bee's instead of bees... :mad:

Nothing wrong with saying a bee's arse is hard to find.

Neils
21-02-2011, 02:20 AM
If only it were mainly used in that context instead of "I went to see my bee's today".

Though with the number of typos in my posts maybe I should just keep quiet. :)

Jon
21-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Pedantry is an art form though, especially with regard to apostrophies.

Spelling supersedure with a c rather than an s should lead to 48 hours in the stocks.

Neils
21-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Dammit, I've got about a year's worth accrued. Also not helped by the iphone's 'helpful' auto-replace feature.