PDA

View Full Version : todays news

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Emma
09-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Hmm... so at a guess we might be a couple of weeks later with the lime, in Fife. There's some lovely bramble blossom out round here, and I've seen a bit of clover. But still signs of robbing, and nucs still needing fed.
Enjoy your lime! :)

Calluna4u
09-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Hmm... so at a guess we might be a couple of weeks later with the lime, in Fife. There's some lovely bramble blossom out round here, and I've seen a bit of clover. But still signs of robbing, and nucs still needing fed.
Enjoy your lime! :)

No flow whatsoever, at all our lowland locations from Aberdeenshire down to the Lothians. Plenty pollen but a total nectar dearth. The bees are bringing orange pollen from peas, so that's a sure sign they are desperate. Even Phacelia near Crieff is not yielding at all despite being a week into flowering. Every lime I have looked at still has the flowers in the tiny tight bud stage, would estimate most are two weeks away anyway. The Bell is already into the early days of the main flowering and the guys spotted ONE plant of Ling with open flowers today near Dinnet. In full swing moving bees to the heather now, so bye bye lime......too late again this year. Have to go to the more reliable crop with 50% extra value, and forget the 1 year in 5 crop (lime). Bell is my personal favourite of all UK honeys anyway, the smell alone is wonderful.

Have been looking at the ling in a few places and it will NOT be late this year. I suspect if you do it the old way, up for the 12th Aug, you will have missed the best of it.

ps...this is the fifth week of nectar dearth........colony development for the August flow is now being seriously compromised if no feeding going on.

gavin
09-07-2016, 10:57 PM
There is some lime out in the Carse of Gowrie, even saw honey bees (mine!) on them today. Two swarm calls (and successful collections) in the last two days and some of mine were making queen cells too. I reckon this was driven by a mini-flow in the last few days after weeks of dearth. The dearth shut off swarming preparations for a while, the last few days have allowed them again. But yes, time to head for the hills, in my case leaving some at favoured lime spots just in case.

Kate Atchley
10-07-2016, 07:53 AM
...this is the fifth week of nectar dearth........colony development for the August flow is now being seriously compromised if no feeding going on.

The lime is just out here in Ardnamurchan after fewer than 5 weeks or dearth but, for weather, "west is worst" continues unabated. Our last sunny afternoon was 3 weeks ago and that was on its own.

Queen mating is disastrous ... or non-existent a better description. Queens have generally stopped laying except in the colonies in Strontian which have their generous Spring crops on board.

Maybe time to take a package holiday (no imports intended!)!

The Drone Ranger
10-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Found a bunch of wasps eating into one of my Maisemore nucs this time
Looks like they are switching from beneficial to being a menace
Time to destroy the nests ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Calluna4u
10-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Was at Dinnet today checking a few things out, including a bee site that has been bulldozed by a contractor and all our pallets etc destroyed....they were only placed there four days ago....

Anyway, that's not the significant news. The bees were working in the rain today, and going hell for leather in breaks, and there was a smell of bell heather in the two apiaries we called in at. Now while this does not mean we have any significant honey, it DOES mean that fears of imminent starvation among the bees up to the bell already are over and it will boot the queens into a fresh bout of laying. On the low ground there is still zero nectar but good pollen coming in. Hope to have 80% of our good bell locations filled by next weekend, and the forecast is not bad from Friday onwards.

Bridget
11-07-2016, 11:26 AM
The bees were working in the rain today, and going hell for leather in breaks, and there was a smell of bell heather in the two apiaries we called in at. Now while this does not mean we have any significant honey, it DOES mean that fears of imminent starvation among the bees up to the bell already are over and it will boot the queens into a fresh bout of laying. On the low ground there is still zero nectar but good pollen coming in. Hope to have 80% of our good bell locations filled by next weekend, and the forecast is not bad from Friday onwards.

Yes - our hives have been very busy over the past couple of days between the showers as well as in the rain. Its been humid at times and there is a mass of small wild flowers around as well as wild roses, poppies, some bell heather and lots of clover . The cotoneasters in the garden are being worked on and yesterday evening they were still going strong at 7pm which is unusual as they usually put them selves to bed before 6pm and its just the bumbles working late.

Is nectar flow dependant on the temperature? I don't know how to tell whether they are getting any nectar.

madasafish
11-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Is nectar flow dependant on the temperature? I don't know how to tell whether they are getting any nectar.

View returning bees. If laden with nectar they will be tail heavy , coming in to land like a 747...
Edit: but with less noise and pollution...

Calluna4u
11-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Don't know what it says about the rest of the summer as they CAN change their minds and raise a fresh batch, but in Glengairn today several of the black bee colonies had all the drones out, dead carpet on the grass. Others were on guard denying drones entry and dragging them off by the wings. Its not at all unusual though, for the blacker bees on the moors to evict their drones in July, but this is pretty early.

fatshark
12-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Must be the lack of weather the BBC are predicting this week ...

madasafish
12-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Must be the lack of weather the BBC are predicting this week ...

Similar to here minus 1C.

.. My mixed mongrel buckfast/carnie mix appear to cope.

gavin
12-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Similar to here minus 1C.

.. My mixed mongrel buckfast/carnie mix appear to cope.

I reckon that the supercomputer running it all had a meltdown when a butterfly (or something) caused the screeching of brakes and application of reverse gear on that prediction of a warm weekend. We seem to be continuing with the usual cool, breezy, showery stuff.

gavin
12-07-2016, 11:02 AM
On the other hand, despite the beeb last night saying the contrary, this site is still predicting a bit of a warm(ish) spell a few days ahead. Murray posted the link to this site last year I think.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=500p&region=eu&t=9p

The Drone Ranger
12-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Anyone for tennis sorry I mean varroa control
http://www.beeculture.com/winter-bees-formic-acid-used-right-a-successful-combination/

SDM
13-07-2016, 06:27 AM
On the other hand, despite the beeb last night saying the contrary, this site is still predicting a bit of a warm(ish) spell a few days ahead. Murray posted the link to this site last year I think.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=500p®ion=eu&t=9p

For up to 7 days I use XCweather which is great for finding gaps in weather as its done at 3 hour intervals.
It does look like the jet stream is going to stall out, which usually means better/more stable weather especially for the west coast. It looks like up to August is a slightly improved more of the same, but early August looks really good for Ireland, S.west, N.west and wales .

prakel
13-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Down here we remain totally independent of the weather forecasts. Strong colonies and regular batches of queens so that we can make the most of any breaks in the weather are the only things we've ever found effective.

fatshark
13-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Anyone for tennis sorry I mean varroa control
http://www.beeculture.com/winter-bees-formic-acid-used-right-a-successful-combination/

Not sure I get the tennis reference ... the article reads like an advert for MAQS, lifted from somewhere else which has resulted in the loss of the superscripts. To properly compare efficacy vs. Apistan they need to know the proportion of their mite population that was resistant.

MAQS usage appears to be only infrequently used in Scotland ... ~5% of all treatments reported to Peterson & Gray for 2014 (http://personal.strath.ac.uk/a.j.gray/Report2014Final.pdf).

As an aside ... I recently re-read the MAQS instructions which includes the text "Do not destroy queen cells that may be observed prior to, or post treatment. Supercedure, even if thought to be set in motion by treatment, is a natural process, and should be allowed to proceed for the health of the colony. Verify queen-right one month after treatment. Mother and daughter queens present post treatment is not uncommon."

Adam
13-07-2016, 09:29 AM
"the article reads like an advert for MAQS".

I read it as that too! Looks like an advertorial to me and that should be stated in the publication.

MAQS does kill varroa. It is also quite harsh on the bee colony and it's not nice to see bees crawling out of the hive and falling off the landing board to die on the grass which can also happen!

Kate Atchley
13-07-2016, 09:44 AM
When MAQS were first introduced, I tried them, having frequently used formic acid evaporation to treat varroa in the past, and found it very effective. However, we found out the hard way that the recommended MAQS dosage is too high for many of our colonies (smaller over here in the wild west than many of you elsewhere, I guess) and we lost 2 queens along with some bees with those early treatments. So if you use them, use only one strip for smaller colonies and be sure they're on an open mesh floor ... not mentioned in the blurb as far as I recall.

Personally, if treatments are needed other than in mid-winter, I would prefer to go back to using my evaporators, with the usual protective precautions, as these allow me to alter the dosage for colonies of different sizes.

The Drone Ranger
13-07-2016, 10:04 AM
You missed Wimbledon then Fatshark :)
I am not sure about MAQS but it is a possibility
The main thing though is that if there is no treatment now then there might be losses later
I use thymol but it can interfere with feeding and can stop wax building in its tracks
The idea of using oxalic evaporation only works effectively in broodless periods
You can use multiple treatment with evaporation (3 or 4 treatments 5 days apart)
That's not practical with a varrox and lots of hives
Amitraz I think is vet only
So if it's Thymol then 4 weeks of treatment takes us to mid August and mesh floors need closing
Sublimox anyone ?

gavin
13-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Are you still using thymol in spirit, John? I saw that in action and the bees really disliked it. Also not compatible with the honey flow that's about to overwhelm us :).

Amitraz is now approved for the UK but the Spanish company with the registration hasn't started selling yet as far as I know. Look out for Apitraz 500 (I think) next year. Until then Apivar is prescription only via Ark Vets unless you are in the BFA or know a friendly vet yourself.

SDM
13-07-2016, 11:16 AM
You missed Wimbledon then Fatshark :)
I am not sure about MAQS but it is a possibility
The main thing though is that if there is no treatment now then there might be losses later
I use thymol but it can interfere with feeding and can stop wax building in its tracks
The idea of using oxalic evaporation only works effectively in broodless periods
You can use multiple treatment with evaporation (3 or 4 treatments 5 days apart)
That's not practical with a varrox and lots of hives
Amitraz I think is vet only
So if it's Thymol then 4 weeks of treatment takes us to mid August and mesh floors need closing
Sublimox anyone ?

Mesh floors need closing ??

The Drone Ranger
13-07-2016, 01:30 PM
You don't think so then SDM

The Drone Ranger
13-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Yes Gavin thymol spirit
They don't like it much but it does work
I hope you are right about a flow from rosebay and balsam :)

fatshark
13-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Sublimox anyone ?

Yes, me ;) It's the dogs bits.

However, Varroa isn't my current problem ... it's drone laying workers :(

Jon
13-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Queen mating is disastrous ... or non-existent a better description. Queens have generally stopped laying except in the colonies in Strontian which have their generous Spring crops on board.

I had hardly any queens mate between 10 June and 7 July but had 60-70 start to lay after a couple of good days at the end of last week.

The Drone Ranger
13-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Yes, me ;) It's the dogs bits.

However, Varroa isn't my current problem ... it's drone laying workers :(
How does it work is that big box just a case
I take it you need mains or an inverter To power it
Why is there no Uk distributor ?

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

fatshark
13-07-2016, 09:51 PM
The big plastic box is just for storing it and carrying it around. You can fit a few odds and sods in as well - goggles, mask, gloves, a nice big tub of Api-Bioxal (ahem) and a bottle of water for cleaning the pan. It needs 240V ... easiest off the mains but I also have a portable generator (~700W if I remember) for out apiaries.

I'd blame the lack of a UK distributor on Brexit ... but it's more likely the lack of demand. I only know a very few people who have them.

Icko Apiculture (http://www.icko-apiculture.com/en/sublimox.html) provide good service and delivered quickly.

I would argue that the Sublimox would be a good investment for some BKA's ... rather than individuals buying Varrox's or building some sort of DIY contraption a single Sublimox could be used to treat multiple hives in a single day. Apiaries would need to be reasonably close to reduce travelling time of course. Since the hive doesn't need to be opened treatments take 1 minute or less. With little or no fuss you can work out ways to treat any sort of hive ... and as if there isn't a suitable entrance it's easy enough to drill a 6mm hole through the sidewall of the floor to administer the vapour. Like this ...

... vaporiser is inserted inverted (as shown), then turned though 180o to drop the OA into the heated pan. Count to 40 and move on to the next hive.

Kate Atchley
14-07-2016, 07:57 AM
I had hardly any queens mate between 10 June and 7 July but had 60-70 start to lay after a couple of good days at the end of last week.

I think those "good days" missed us! Lovely today though.

madasafish
14-07-2016, 10:47 AM

With the warmer weather , mine have started on lime. Despite raining half yesterday, the hives smelt of lime nectar this am... I have a horrible hive on two supers needing another.. Maybe it's the bottom entrance or their genes?

Calluna4u
14-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Been out all morning preparing hives for the heather. Still absolutely zero nectar though plenty pollen. Nests are bone dry with not a cell of honey. No local limes out yet though did see a grove of them in flower up the A9 at Ballinluig (we do not keep bees in that area). Some willowherb and the earliest balsam now out but nothing happening.

However my guys report that there is nectar coming in at the bell heather, bees returning heavy and full and a significant smell in the air. About 40% up now, by Monday will have all the bell places occupied, forecast looks moderately decent. Its quite normal for the bell and lime to clash like this...wait for the limes then you miss the bell.

The Drone Ranger
14-07-2016, 08:01 PM
The big plastic box is just for storing it and carrying it around. You can fit a few odds and sods in as well - goggles, mask, gloves, a nice big tub of Api-Bioxal (ahem) and a bottle of water for cleaning the pan. It needs 240V ... easiest off the mains but I also have a portable generator (~700W if I remember) for out apiaries.

I'd blame the lack of a UK distributor on Brexit ... but it's more likely the lack of demand. I only know a very few people who have them.

Icko Apiculture (http://www.icko-apiculture.com/en/sublimox.html) provide good service and delivered quickly.

I would argue that the Sublimox would be a good investment for some BKA's ... rather than individuals buying Varrox's or building some sort of DIY contraption a single Sublimox could be used to treat multiple hives in a single day. Apiaries would need to be reasonably close to reduce travelling time of course. Since the hive doesn't need to be opened treatments take 1 minute or less. With little or no fuss you can work out ways to treat any sort of hive ... and as if there isn't a suitable entrance it's easy enough to drill a 6mm hole through the sidewall of the floor to administer the vapour. Like this ...

... vaporiser is inserted inverted (as shown), then turned though 180o to drop the OA into the heated pan. Count to 40 and move on to the next hive.
Thanks fatshark I didn't have a clear idea of how it worked
I thought it was a fan or something in that box

Jon
14-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Don't give up though. Keep the apidea feeders topped up and if they are still queenright there is a good chance they will mate.
I had a site with 50 apideas on it, most of them with queens 4 weeks old.
I lifted 26 of them last Friday without checking as I was having problems with a Badger pulling them apart.
I dropped them at another site on Friday evening and when I checked on Sunday 17 had eggs.
Thursday 7th was a day for queen mating flights so they all took the opportunity after 4 weeks.
These apideas were set out on 10th June. I was expecting queens to be laying around 20th June but better late than never.
Similar story at other sites as well.

Kate Atchley
15-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Don't give up though. Keep the apidea feeders topped up and if they are still queenright there is a good chance they will mate.
I lifted 26 of them last Friday without checking as I was having problems with a Badger pulling them apart.
I dropped them at another site on Friday evening and when I checked on Sunday 17 had eggs.
Thursday 7th was a day for queen mating flights so they all took the opportunity after 4 weeks.
These apideas were set out on 10th June. I was expecting queens to be laying around 20th June but better late than never.
Similar story at other sites as well.
Your encouragement's very welcome Jon. Found a couple of queens laying yesterday that I'd more or less given up on. Saw a few more with accompanying bees very content so hope they may make it too. Spent 7 hours at the bees yesterday, the first fine day for ages. Dealt with drone laying queens, chilled queen cells and failed nucs by introducing new or overwintered queens etc. Fingers crossed for a milder spell now to step up the queen rearing again.

fatshark
15-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks fatshark I didn't have a clear idea of how it worked
I thought it was a fan or something in that box

Too many boxes DR ... the box in the picture above - between the handle and the business end of the machine - contains some electrickery. Way beyond my level of expertise. There's a photo kicking around on the web somewhere of the contents, not by me. The pressure caused by the sublimation of the powder as it's dropped into the pre-heated pan causes it to be forced out through the small nozzle. If you do it in the 'open' the vapour jet is about 2-3 metres long. No wonder it reaches the parts other miticides can't reach ;)

alancooper
16-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Would the four-week Q still be able to mate? I have been working on the basis that 2 wks is fine for mating and although three weeks is the limit, it will often will not give good fertilisation. Your email was posted just in time for me retain two apideas with virgin queens that were three weeks old, having gone through a long period of wind, rain and low-teen temperatures.

Calluna4u
18-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Steamy morning. Glad all the bees on the move this morning are screened polys.

Weather forecast very uncertain this week......changes every time its on. Good...then bad...then good again, and finally this morning its a one day heat event tomorrow then thundery breakdown overnight and back to cooler zonal westerlies for another spell from Wednesday......bummer.

60% of the bees now on the heather, almost all our bell sites are full or partially full, the first ling sites starting to go in too now. First flower on the ling in the earliest spots will be within the next three or four days.

Did the final grafting of the season at the weekend, and from now on in the queen unit winds down for the season. Lots of orders for this week and next though, but by the end of the month we will start vacating the unneeded mini boxes.

I now this seems early to most on this forum, but honestly there is little practical use, and only a tiny market, for several hundred new queens in late August and even September even though it can be done. Have a lot of hives with the drones out from earlier in the month though this seems to have stopped for now. Limes around the home area now showing flower, quite a lot in some places, but no evidence of much nectar. The humidity of the next day or two should change that, and last time I had a BIG lime flow, near Edinburgh, they filled BS deeps from foundation (they were prepared for the heather shift) in three to five days. Not many bees left near limes now, and the bell IS yielding.

The Drone Ranger
18-07-2016, 11:47 PM
In September a lot of people might decide their hives are queenless though C4u :)

Calluna4u
19-07-2016, 07:54 AM
In September a lot of people might decide their hives are queenless though C4u :)

Lol...yes indeed. Got that a lot last year. Takes a lot of questions to newer beekeepers to be sure they REALLY are queenless and not just shut down for the season.

Was up in Deeside organising some new and some amended places yesterday but also to add some boxes. Decent nectar flow in lower Deeside, but west of Ballater there was still virtually nothing even on good Bell. Half a box on good ones near Dinnet (and these are poly Langs run all on deeps, so half a box on them is closing in on a full BS shallow). In most places the bees look good, the heather looks in great condition, and the ling is only a few days away and has good moisture levels. The ingredients for a good season are there and it will be in the laps of the weather gods now. Got every spare hand waxing stuff up now in the hope......

Down here there was nectar yesterday but it was still pretty sparse, except a few that seemed to have found phacelia.

Saw a lot of unhappy homeless drones being dragged off out and trying to get back in. Many colonies still happy to carry their drone load.

A couple of our chosen drone mothers at the home mating unit have rid them selves of their drones. Not great as the choice of males for mating declines. Removing surplus colonies from the unit now off to earn their corn at the heather. The starters were all reformatted back to normal hives on Sunday bar the last one doing the last graft. All go off to the heather this week. Finishers will go early next week but we are into our last four days of local shifting, and then onto the English unit after that. Expecting everything on the ling sites by the month end, bar a few (about 40 actually) drone mothers kept back at the two mating units. Those will go too once the need for them has passed.

Bridget
19-07-2016, 09:35 AM
In most places the bees look good, the heather looks in great condition, and the ling is only a few days away and has good moisture levels.

Out for an early walk and the ling is very close. My notes from last year said on the 10th August "heather is nearly out". I agree. It looking in great condition.
See your bees are on the moor - looks like you have a fair few more than previous years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calluna4u
19-07-2016, 09:53 AM
See your bees are on the moor - looks like you have a fair few more than previous years.

At the bunch nearest to you the moor (the flat bit to the east of Drumguish heading towards Ruthven Barracks) the number is larger this year, going back to what we had there about 5 years back. That moor is just recovering from a massive burn maybe four years or so back.....took out almost all the low ground heather.....and only now do we judge it good for a full load again. Its has been on half loads the last three or four years. We have another spot perhaps half a mile away up in the trees. That will be filled later this week, nothing there yet.

Bridget
19-07-2016, 10:51 AM
At the bunch nearest to you the moor (the flat bit to the east of Drumguish heading towards Ruthven Barracks) the number is larger this year, going back to what we had there about 5 years back. That moor is just recovering from a massive burn maybe four years or so back.....took out almost all the low ground heather.....and only now do we judge it good for a full load again. Its has been on half loads the last three or four years. We have another spot perhaps half a mile away up in the trees. That will be filled later this week, nothing there yet.

I don't remember a burn of that heather moor but the very cold winter of 2012 ? also took its toll with the very cold easterly for weeks on end "burnt" the heather, especially the older stuff that was not covered and protected by the long lying snow. The heather took ages to recover and it just this year the new growth is looking shiny with good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calluna4u
19-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Well its not a blossom washout everywhere........whilst there was reasonable nectar locally the last couple of days, and even where there are limes the bees are favouring other things, I sent one of my teams down to the Kincardine Bridge area today to prepare the 7 apiaries we have in that vicinity (both sides of the Forth) and they found all places full of honey. Even the new foundation added before shifting time is all drawn and full. Lots of fresh honey and north of the bridge its all white and almost certainly clover, south of the bridge its all lime, at three sites and clover again at another. Not able to move these now due to fresh honey and nectar on new wax, and heat. Will probably try to reclear them on Friday and get them away so they don't miss any of the Ling.

These bees were last visited about `14 days ago and had excluders removed, deeps added and extra shallows before their move to the heather. Now all needs done again. Tragic!

The Drone Ranger
20-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Lol...yes indeed. Got that a lot last year.

,.......drone mothers kept back at the two mating units
Hi C4u
If those drone colonies were made queenless for a while or split using your flight boards would they hang on to their young drones longer?

Calluna4u
20-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Probably would. The part waiting for a queen would most likely keep a drone load for some time, all through till they were queenright with a laying queen. However, with these going off to the heather when their work is done its best not to dismember them too much. They have to go in the end, a full colony not going to the heather costs a lot in lost earnings.

Early drone eviction is not a bad trait, means they are stable for the season after that, which cuts down work. Just a shame when the good colonies have bumped them off, as it increases the risk of rag, tag and bobtail drones from the local area getting a chance at the grafted stock......

The Drone Ranger
22-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I remember you pointing that out at your queen raising day C4u

Calluna4u
22-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Ling started to flower (just a few clumps) at our bees near Amulree last night. Will be a lot of flower and be full on in a week. If you plant to go to0 the ling be careful not to miss it.

When investigated yesterday by two other teams working here it was found the Kincardine Bridge area flow had been rather (ok ... greatly) exaggerated..............no stripping needed....just looked good after the weeks of dearth.

Calluna4u
24-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Finished moving the Scottish based bees to the heather this morning, bar one lot going later once their job as drone mothers at the second mating unit is done. 2200 colonies plus 900 splits on the moors now. Calluna nectar already coming in at the earliest spots, but most places its bell. Combs and combs of it like water yesterday near Braemar and Kingussie, but relatively little in other places so its still very sporadic .

Start on the English unit tomorrow but that should only take us one week.

Last grafts come out of the finishers today and then all those colonies get reformatted back to normal hives, their main job for the season done. Those lines dropping out of the programme already removed off to the heather and back into the general pool. The active management season is virtually over.

Duncan
28-07-2016, 07:36 AM
We are having a very long and hot summer here in Cyprus with 35C+ everyday for the last 6 weeks. The bees and the beekeeper are really feeling the heat even at 1800 hours. The hive is a cell starter hive packed with young worker bees it has an excluder between the floor and the chamber.

fatshark
28-07-2016, 09:00 PM
If we're talking about weather I can recommend Windy Wilson (https://www.facebook.com/windywilson.weather.roads/). The most recent forecast for Scotland is:

"WEEKEND . . . . . .
Windy says check oot ma crayons below
Saturday AND Sunday are very similar with a cold north westerly blowing in, bringing with it a "fresh feel" and rain to the NORTH WEST of Scotland, with a fair bit of cloud as well . . . although the rain might creep further SOUTH as the day / weekend goes on
At the moment though, the worst of any sh*t will be up in the NORTH WEST, with the opposite corner (the south east) seeing the best of any brightness
That is all"

Succinct and to the point. Not looking too clever for Kate, but probably OK for Gavin ...

fatshark
28-07-2016, 09:00 PM
If we're talking about weather I can recommend Windy Wilson (https://www.facebook.com/windywilson.weather.roads/). The most recent forecast for Scotland is:

"WEEKEND . . . . . .
Windy says check oot ma crayons below
Saturday AND Sunday are very similar with a cold north westerly blowing in, bringing with it a "fresh feel" and rain to the NORTH WEST of Scotland, with a fair bit of cloud as well . . . although the rain might creep further SOUTH as the day / weekend goes on
At the moment though, the worst of any sh*t will be up in the NORTH WEST, with the opposite corner (the south east) seeing the best of any brightness
That is all"

Succinct and to the point. Not looking too clever for Kate, but probably OK for Gavin ...

Calluna4u
30-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Was up at the moors yesterday through the west Perthshire and Speyside range. The Ling is about 5% out in most parts of the range and even as much as 25% out in sheltered southern parts. Should be plentiful flower throughout most of August in many areas, but reckon the earliest spots will be finished by about the 20th or so and those places will be at peak flower by next weekend.

gavin
30-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm finding your posts very helpful, Murray. Was chatting with another forum member on the occasion of the two of us being interviewed for Radio Scotland's Out of Doors in Glen Clova and we agreed that it is great to see the reports from you on what's happening in the hills and beyond.

The piece might be used in next Saturday's broadcast and Mark Stephen has already put some video on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bbc.out.of.doors/videos/1052407891460940/

Mellifera Crofter
30-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Nice little video, Gavin.

I'm curious about the bees' entrance to your Swienty. I can't figure it out. It looks as though the entire broodbox is raised by a bee space above the floor - or was that just a temporary thing while you were manipulating the colony?

Kitta

gavin
30-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Hi Kitta

Maybe just an illusion caused by the shadow of the box above? They are just standard (old-style) Swienty/Denrosa boxes sitting straight on standard floors. That colony belongs to the East of Scotland Beekeepers Association. My own are mostly the new design of Swienty polyhives with some wooden Nationals.

There is an unpainted floor in the background. It was pressed into service in a hurry about 3 years ago and we've still not got around to painting it ....

G.

madasafish
31-07-2016, 09:27 AM
I see you are using my smoker Gavin :-)

Kate Atchley
31-07-2016, 05:48 PM

I put one just like it aside a year ago (and took it out to use this evening 'cos I'd left it where I untied the dog at an out-apiary). When I used it the bees they would invariably go into a frenzy, stinging the leather bellows, sometimes mistaking my hands for the bellows as I held it. Goodness knows what they used to cure the hide.

Mellifera Crofter
31-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Why do bees nibble at foundation? Were they hungry?

(Camera photo - it's a bit out of focus.)

Kitta

fatshark
31-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Bored? I usually see this when there's no flow on. I've always assumed they're trying to improve lateral routes through the colony. In a similar way, they will draw out a foundationless frame and not join it to the bottom (and sometimes side) bar.

Mellifera Crofter
01-08-2016, 12:27 AM
I hope so, Fatshark - bored, and creating passageways, rather than hungry.

That's a nicely-drawn comb. No nibbling there.

Calluna4u
01-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Not trying to second guess bee thought processes but this does not happen when there is a flow on or feeding is being done.

I suspect that although it looks like they are chewing the wax (and indeed are) I suspect the main issue is that they don't like metal and are actually trying to remove it, and the removal of the wax along the wires is just so they can attempt the futile task of wire chewing. If the wire is poorly embedded you often see the wire pattern manifesting itself as a line of gaps in the brood for example. A feed or a decent flow and they will still make a decent comb of that one Kitta.

A second reason can be that they are utilising the wax elsewhere. They do move it around a bit from time to time, again usually when there is no flow or feed to stimulate wax secretion.

Kate Atchley
01-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Not trying to second guess bee thought processes but this does not happen when there is a flow on or feeding is being done. ... A second reason can be that they are utilising the wax elsewhere. They do move it around a bit from time to time, again usually when there is no flow or feed to stimulate wax secretion.

Yes, bees try to avoid steel wires but Murray's last suggestion seems to explain most of the wax-moving-chewing I've witnessed.

I think the bees are using the wax for whatever is most important for the colony at the time and that may mean moving wax from elsewhere if incoming nectar is absent or wax-builders scarce. Fat shark's pic of a well-drawn comb with no side and base connecting wax/foundation suggests this was drawn initially when the flow was poor and, when forage improved, the bees were able to complete the frame and fill it with brood.

gavin
01-08-2016, 10:13 AM

You can have it back!

I put one just like it aside a year ago (and took it out to use this evening 'cos I'd left it where I untied the dog at an out-apiary). When I used it the bees they would invariably go into a frenzy, stinging the leather bellows, sometimes mistaking my hands for the bellows as I held it. Goodness knows what they used to cure the hide.

Yes, these smokers are awful in every way. That hook on the spout is nearly as weak as aluminium foil and is utterly useless. The hinge for the spout is poor. The bellows on mine also incited a sting-fest so I stripped the stings off with sticky tape then covered the leather in clear sticky tape and now the bees don't react to it.

Thankfully Thorne no longer sell that one. I'll have a word with Santa about one of those expensive Dadant smokers.

Kate Atchley
01-08-2016, 10:26 AM
... Fat shark's pic of a well-drawn comb with no side and base connecting wax/foundation suggests this was drawn initially when the flow was poor and, when forage improved, the bees were able to complete the frame and fill it with brood.

On second thoughts, Fatshark's frame looks as though it's beekeeper-wired, so presumably drawn without foundation, or maybe just a strip. These are drawn downwards in an expanding rounded form and often don't become fully attached to the frame around the sides and base. So maybe no nibbling took place.

Kate Atchley
01-08-2016, 10:28 AM
You can have it back!

Yes, these smokers are awful in every way. That hook on the spout is nearly as weak as aluminium foil and is utterly useless. The hinge for the spout is poor. The bellows on mine also incited a sting-fest so I stripped the stings off with sticky tape then covered the leather in clear sticky tape and now the bees don't react to it.

Thankfully Thorne no longer sell that one. I'll have a word with Santa about one of those expensive Dadant smokers.

It's hard to find smokers without leather bellows now. Ah ... used not to be the case. I'll post Santa to the SS one I recently bought from Thornes ... think it's the one you're leaving space for in your stocking Gavin.

wee willy
01-08-2016, 10:32 AM
My Dadant smoker has been in use plus 25 years , the bellows are mock leather ( leatherette ) no probs with stinging .
Nothing's fallen off save one nut holding bellows to canister . [emoji1]

fatshark
01-08-2016, 11:19 AM
I'll have a word with Santa about one of those expensive Dadant smokers.

But be aware that the photo they show on Thorne's website isn't the one they actually supply (or wasn't ... this info is a year out of date). Dadant do one with a heat guard on the back of the box which is what Thorne's show on the site. It's not what was sent (but was a gift so couldn't go back).

But it's still an excellent smoker ...

fatshark
01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
On second thoughts, Fatshark's frame looks as though it's beekeeper-wired, so presumably drawn without foundation, or maybe just a strip. These are drawn downwards in an expanding rounded form and often don't become fully attached to the frame around the sides and base. So maybe no nibbling took place.

That's exactly what it is Kate ... foundationless, with strong monofilament 'wires'. There's a sort of channel across the frame running horizontally where the lower 'wire' is, almost certainly because the frame wasn't quite vertical and they couldn't incorporate it properly. When they draw these frames out - from a 1cm starter strip - they almost always leave space round the bottom third of the frame as shown.

madasafish
01-08-2016, 03:23 PM
You can have it back!

Mine does not attract stings at all. I bought on ebay for c £15 six years ago.

I cover the grip with masking tape to avoid propolis and replace that regularly. The rivets are rubbish and I have reworked the spout holder and replaced the rivets. It works OK.

I never hang my smoker on anything having a mini wooden stand to avoid crop circles on my lawn :-)

Edit: I am mean (edukated in Aberdeen ) so I am still using the same jacket , smoker and home made hive tool since I started in 2010.

Mellifera Crofter
01-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks C4U, Kate - it did not occur to me that they might be re-using the wax. Apart from no nectar flow, the bees were so often hive-bound around here that I was worried I might have overlooked them being short of food. I don't think they were - so, happy to know they were having fun, reworking the wax, fighting with the wire - and not desperately eating wax.
Kitta

gavin
02-08-2016, 08:59 AM
I'd managed to forget that I'd ordered one of these from Paynes in their winter sale:

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/images/products/thumbs/5029839051330.jpg

And last night, rummaging deep in the foam chips in an unopened box, I managed to find it. Also the free sample of their Cottage Chutney :-) It isn't quite a Dadant but it looks good so Santa will have to think of something else. A Unimog, a purpose build modern extracting suite, a new back (!), something like that .....

emcampbell
02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to say that I'm finding your posts very helpful, Murray. Was chatting with another forum member on the occasion of the two of us being interviewed for Radio Scotland's Out of Doors in Glen Clova and we agreed that it is great to see the reports from you on what's happening in the hills and beyond.

The piece might be used in next Saturday's broadcast and Mark Stephen has already put some video on their Facebook page:

Was great fun recording it Gavin. Apologies in advance for lack of AFB knowledge on my behalf....was a bit vague on some of my responses to Marks questions. Gav covered for me well though :)

Hopefully I don't come across as too much of an idiot ! I do hope they use the bit of us ripping into Manuka honey though...and the waggle dance app (tm).

Calluna4u
02-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Very end of seasonish feel to things today.............weather like mid September and a series of stormy autumn like lows expected to single northern UK out over the next 10 days or so. Wasps starting to hit the mating boxes hard at home base, and soon they will be untenable unless strong. Ho hum. The second mating unit having less issues so far and a really good success rate, better than the original place.

Off to the moors tomorrow afternoon to see if any progress and check advancement of the heather. Shifting almost finished....about 100 to go.

Placing the autumn syrup order next week...................

greengumbo
02-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Very end of seasonish feel to things today.............weather like mid September and a series of stormy autumn like lows expected to single northern UK out over the next 10 days or so. Wasps starting to hit the mating boxes hard at home base, and soon they will be untenable unless strong. Ho hum. The second mating unit having less issues so far and a really good success rate, better than the original place.

Off to the moors tomorrow afternoon to see if any progress and check advancement of the heather. Shifting almost finished....about 100 to go.

Placing the autumn syrup order next week...................

Definite autumnal feel today up here. Anyone been out and about in Strathdon / Cockbridge area can give me heather updates - stupid car is in the garage so only moving hives this week.

Greengage
03-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Some day Iam going to visit scotland just to see what its like in the highlands, the reason I dont go in summer is I have heard so much about midges. life is too short and Ive too little holidays but I will go. Its on my list of places to visit.

Kate Atchley
03-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Some day Iam going to visit scotland just to see what its like in the highlands, the reason I dont go in summer is I have heard so much about midges. life is too short and Ive too little holidays but I will go. Its on my list of places to visit.

Great plan Greengage. Midges usually appear in June or so come in May when everything's fresh and a there's multitude of different greens around? Come visit? We're a bit off the beaten track but all the more beautiful for that.

Greengage
03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Great a friend of mine just got a job in Duff town looks off the beaten track too so now I have to go and will go further North too.

Jimbo
03-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Dufftown is just down the road and you don't get the midges like you get in the west
Also full of whisky distilleries and one of my heather sites
Should come next month as the SBA conference is in Elgin which is just up the road from Dufftown

mbc
04-08-2016, 09:13 AM
I'd managed to forget that I'd ordered one of these from Paynes in their winter sale:

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/images/products/thumbs/5029839051330.jpg

And last night, rummaging deep in the foam chips in an unopened box, I managed to find it. Also the free sample of their Cottage Chutney :-) It isn't quite a Dadant but it looks good so Santa will have to think of something else. A Unimog, a purpose build modern extracting suite, a new back (!), something like that .....

Those foam chips piss me off, we're supposed to be environmentally concious beekeepers for heavens sake! I have to say I think thornes do a better job of their packaging with the shredded cardboard, much more palatable to my mind.
P's. Midges of any nationality piss me off, having been eaten alive by Scottish , Irish and Welsh mides, I'd say the Scottish ones are the more muscular.

fatshark
04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
... so Santa will have to think of something else. A Unimog ...

Get one ... though perhaps tricky when searching for a parking spot outside Dundee methodist Hall for the ESBA meetings.

gavin
04-08-2016, 11:27 PM
OK, we'll just have to switch our meetings to the Caird Hall. You can get hundreds in there and park a tank in the square outside if you so wish. ;)

The ling in the Eastern Angus glens isn't fully out yet, just some tufts here and there. Was up there today (thanks for the help Harry).

Yesterday they were hitting the Himalayan balsam round the Tay inbetween the showers. It seems these flowers are well protected from rain and the brighter gaps between the showers were good enough for some enthusiastic foraging.

There are a few km of Rudbeckia along the river at one of my sites and they were working that too. I never imagined I'd get Rudbeckia honey .... not getting a decent sample this year either but they were working that too.

greengumbo
05-08-2016, 10:41 AM
OK, we'll just have to switch our meetings to the Caird Hall. You can get hundreds in there and park a tank in the square outside if you so wish. ;)

The ling in the Eastern Angus glens isn't fully out yet, just some tufts here and there. Was up there today (thanks for the help Harry).

Yesterday they were hitting the Himalayan balsam round the Tay inbetween the showers. It seems these flowers are well protected from rain and the brighter gaps between the showers were good enough for some enthusiastic foraging.

There are a few km of Rudbeckia along the river at one of my sites and they were working that too. I never imagined I'd get Rudbeckia honey .... not getting a decent sample this year either but they were working that too.

Sounds good Gavin. Moved some of mine up to Strathdon last night - bell started and ling still about so fingers crossed for less of this autumnal weather.

Anyone got good tips on closing up those swienty entrances in the rain ? My usual sneaking up on them and duck taping the entrance was a shambles. Ended up doing the best I could then loading them into the trailer asap. Pinned correx might work but the entrances have those wee side bits on each end so a single sheet isn't good enough.

Sponge ? But where to get ?

Bloomin' bees always posing new engineering problems.

Kate Atchley
05-08-2016, 11:20 AM
... Anyone got good tips on closing up those swienty entrances in the rain ? My usual sneaking up on them and duck taping the entrance was a shambles. Ended up doing the best I could then loading them into the trailer asap. Pinned correx might work but the entrances have those wee side bits on each end so a single sheet isn't good enough.

Sponge ? But where to get ? ...

Yes, I find foam much the easiest to use and most secure. Can cut it to fit and it stays put.

This foam place in Edinburgh has inexpensive offcuts (I used to live nearby): http://foamcentre.org.uk. There must be others or online. You may find some 20mm square strips which cut in half for Swienty entrances or as they are for wooden hives.

Calluna4u
05-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Sponge ? But where to get ?

Any upholsterer. They generally stock the foam in sheets and will cut you a piece (its the one inch size you need) to the correct width you ask for (always make it a couple of inches longer than the entrance).

greengumbo
05-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Any upholsterer. They generally stock the foam in sheets and will cut you a piece (its the one inch size you need) to the correct width you ask for (always make it a couple of inches longer than the entrance).

Cheers Murray and Kate.

I have the odd bit of sponge from a few years ago that fits but with an upturn in hive numbers I am after more. Will get some and practice using it before I need to shift a load of hives :)

Feckless Drone
05-08-2016, 12:32 PM
The bloody foam!. I found you really need be "assertive" with the hive tool when pushing the foam into the Swienty entrances. Late on a wet Wednesday evening and with a bit of water spraying on the entrance I persuaded the bees to go indoors. But, you have to be careful not to dislodge the foam by accidentally tugging on the extra length that extrudes from the side or you make a small gap and then guess what happens early on a Thursday morning? Answer: you lose all credibility with your first born who reminds you about saying how straightforward this all is and then sits in the car with veil on for the drive.

A pity nobody sells the older heather hives where the bottom can simply be screwed shut. What I want is a poly-box, National, able to link boxes, travel screen and then roof together rather then strap them, with OMF that can adjusted to close up the entrance and with two settings - open but no mice, or closed.

fatshark
05-08-2016, 12:35 PM
... always make it a couple of inches longer than the entrance ...

... to maximise the chances of snagging it with the next hive you add, thereby providing a wee gap for the little blighters to make a break for it as you barrel up the A9 dodging speed cameras ;)

PS FD beat me to it and described the situation perfectly ... I use a push-in L-shaped wooden block. Takes no time to fit. Friction-fit for quick jobs (vaporising) or screwed/taped in place for complete confidence on long trips (though there's also the dozen or two under the OMF you forgot about).

Mellifera Crofter
05-08-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm distressed this evening and really, really annoyed with myself. After reading so often about, 'just bang them together' with smoke or some lavender sugar water or something like that, and having done it once successfully, I united two colonies this afternoon and it resulted in a horrible war that I couldn't stop.

I now realise that the reason the previous unite was ok, was because one colony was hopelessly queenless. Today's was different. One was queenless, but with a queen cell that I destroyed, thinking with all this terrible weather we're having, that queen doesn't stand much of a chance of getting mated - so I reunited them with the mother colony. Big mistake. I'll never ever ever do that again.

Can't say I feel better confessing this ...
Kitta

mbc
05-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Putting bees together is fine to do when joining lots up a frame here and a frame there from different hives, but when joining them together with a box which isn't moving, on home turf as it were, I go with newspaper every time, sometimes (most times) it's probably unnecessary, but it's so reliable at avoiding fighting it's worth it for the occasion when the paper stops any defensiveness from the home colony triggering a war. I try and always keep an old broadsheet in the truck.

Kate Atchley
06-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Ouch! I tend to use belt and braces ... newspaper, like mvc, and lavender-scented light syrup spray (keep it ready in my bee kit). Also make sure a queenless colony knows it is, if possible. So removing the old queen or QCs at least an hour or so ahead. Very upsetting Kitta and I hope the queen is none the worse for the experience and gives you some good winter bees.

Calluna4u
06-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Dispensed with the newspaper years back.

We reunite, without dequeening one part, at the heather.

However.....sugar water or lavender scented water are definitely inadequate. Far too delicate. They do not override the scent difference.

A LIBERAL spraying with a proprietry brand of airfreshener is required on both the top bars of the bottom unit and the underside of the top one.

I was a sceptic at first when it was demonstrated to me by Andrew Scobbie senior. It does really work. Will be doing it in excess of 1000 times over the next few weeks as we put the splits and their mothers back together.

The Drone Ranger
06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks for reminding me not to chance things Kitta
I get my fingers burned trying shortcuts regularly and no doubt there will be some combining to be done soon
Last one was introducing a queen to a queenless hive
Test frame in ,knock off the queen cells after a few days
Queen goes in with cage she gets accepted (clever old me)
She disappears and a blooming great queen cell replaces her
Moral of the story (I think) don't give them options

Anyway that was one of my home raised (no cost £) queens

How about this direct intro method at £45 a go
http://www.lasiqueenbees.com/blog/high-acceptance-in-the-direct-introduction-of-queens-with-smoke-but-without-cages

Might have a few practice runs first with my own CABI bees (Carni,amm,buckfast,italian) taxi !!!

Mellifera Crofter
06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Thank you all. I felt sick in my tummy seeing the sad little carpet of dead bees this morning. I'll open the hive in a few days' time to see if the queen survived that mayhem.

So, never again, but I'd like to know what you're using that's so effective, C4U (should one worry about what's in the air-freshener?). And I'll follow your example and carry some newspapers in the car, MBC (Kate's belt and braces approach).

I read about that LASI queen introduction, DR - but when I introduced some virgin queens earlier this summer, I still played safe and used a cage even though the nuc had been queenless for about four days. They all survived and are laying - so that is a good note in my otherwise sad report.

Kitta

madasafish
07-08-2016, 06:10 AM
I use air freshener following Murray's advice years ago.

Airwick 6 in 1. Smell : immaterial.
Small print says "natural propellants".

Works fine : no dead bees.

Mellifera Crofter
07-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks Madasafish, I'll buy that and keep it handy. No more warring bees.
Kitta

Feckless Drone
08-08-2016, 08:37 AM
A LIBERAL spraying with a proprietry brand of airfreshener is required on both the top bars of the bottom unit and the underside of the top one.

Questions for your C4U. At the stage after applying the freshener - do you just put one box on top and leave for a few days then rearrange frames? Or just blast and put frames together? Or winter on double brood?

I'm now checking that hives are Q-right and pretty much going to stop full inspections but try to make good decisions about what to keep, what to unite. I've one 2015 Q (wintered in a poly-nuc after two-frame mating setup) who has not tried to swarm, decent colony, heavy super but the colony still has drones and drone brood. Other colonies have only worker brood and no drones present. Not sure if this represents low swarming trait or just that the colony was not at full strength in the spring and is lagging behind. I'll do another few inspections of this colony to monitor it as it could be a good Q to breed from. I've a 2016 Q and finally worked up the courage to see if her three Q-cells were an attempt at supercedure rather than interfere. A new Q was due to start flying yesterday and depending on outcome this is a hive that I might try the air freshener with. Week looks OK for mating flights.

Overall, I think colonies have done well this year on Tayside and still the prospect of heather crop to come.

fatshark
08-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Fifers should keep an eye on their nucs ... lots more wasp activity over the last few days and stores in a few of mine were getting very low. Whatever was coming in isn't any longer.

fatshark
08-08-2016, 07:33 PM
... and a quick follow-up to my last post re. feeding nucs. Before I moved to Scotland I bought bulk fondant from BFP Wholesale. They had an outlet in Livingstone. BFP Wholesale have gone into administration (http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/16045/Partial_sale_of_bakery_supplier_BFP_Wholesale_agre ed.html), and the Livingstone branch was bought by a company called EFP Ltd (http://www.efp.ltd).

Has anyone yet dealt with EDP Ltd?
Has anyone bought fondant in reasonable quantities (say 150-200kg) elsewhere?
Any recommendations?

gavin
08-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Sad news. The only other bakery wholesaler - forget its name - was in Cumbernauld and closed perhaps a decade ago.

Calluna4u
09-08-2016, 07:53 AM
... and a quick follow-up to my last post re. feeding nucs. Before I moved to Scotland I bought bulk fondant from BFP Wholesale. They had an outlet in Livingstone. BFP Wholesale have gone into administration (http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/16045/Partial_sale_of_bakery_supplier_BFP_Wholesale_agre ed.html), and the Livingstone branch was bought by a company called EFP Ltd (http://www.efp.ltd).

Has anyone yet dealt with EDP Ltd?
Has anyone bought fondant in reasonable quantities (say 150-200kg) elsewhere?
Any recommendations?

Never dealt with either.

Always bought my fondant from BAKO or Fleming Howden. Their prices were always good for beekeepers..........but don't take the first price they offer on the phone. That's a list price...........significant discounts available from that when pressed (like first jump alone dropped price by 40%!)

Both do good grade white fondant. Fleming Howdens 'premier' grade is perfect for bees.

Its almost all (whatever brand you buy) made in one of two factories in Belgium nowadays, and just client badged.

Calluna4u
09-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Questions for your C4U. At the stage after applying the freshener - do you just put one box on top and leave for a few days then rearrange frames? Or just blast and put frames together? Or winter on double brood?

I'm now checking that hives are Q-right and pretty much going to stop full inspections but try to make good decisions about what to keep, what to unite. I've one 2015 Q (wintered in a poly-nuc after two-frame mating setup) who has not tried to swarm, decent colony, heavy super but the colony still has drones and drone brood. Other colonies have only worker brood and no drones present. Not sure if this represents low swarming trait or just that the colony was not at full strength in the spring and is lagging behind. I'll do another few inspections of this colony to monitor it as it could be a good Q to breed from. I've a 2016 Q and finally worked up the courage to see if her three Q-cells were an attempt at supercedure rather than interfere. A new Q was due to start flying yesterday and depending on outcome this is a hive that I might try the air freshener with. Week looks OK for mating flights.

Overall, I think colonies have done well this year on Tayside and still the prospect of heather crop to come.

We tend to do it at the heather and just spray both side of the interface and stick them together. The bees then generally fill in the empty frames them fill in down behind them so not much sorting to do.

We have had lots of colonies evict the drones way earlier than usual. I don't think its a bad trait in general hives but it a bummer in the mating yard where (a few) chosen drone mothers are now devoid of drones. Largely it means that the colony itself is now stable for the season as they now have no use for drones and thus new queens preparations are over. Oddly I might be a bit more concerned about the one that is still making drone brood.....but concerned in a very minor way, probably ranks about 97 in the list of the top hundred things to worry about. (Non existent list btw before anyone asks.)

We finished nest examinations about 5 weeks ago at the point we give then unlimited space. The number that swarm after that are not viable to look for and frankly, as they do not fit into our ways of management, are no great loss.

Fatshark mentions the nucs. It is an issue here too and the queens are trying to ease back laying somewhat. As the brood in the outer frames hatches they are not relaying in those faces and they are starting to tighten in the stores arc round the nest. Stimulative feeding needed to keep them going forward AND to avoid starvation setting in. It has been a very autumnal spell and hopefully the weather itself will reverse this in the coming days, but this better spell has been long predicted but when we get to within a few days of it it fades away and a new set of low pressure areas appear instead. Shame as the heather looks SO good. Was a potential klondyke up to a week ago, still has the potential to be well above average, but the earliest areas have about 10 days left before the flowering is in decline.

I would agree that the bees have indeed done well (for themselves) and are off to the heather in generally not too bad condition. Honey yield is a different matter but then the way we manage the bees blossom honey is essentially a by product, with the heather being the goal from day one. Our blossom yield was looking like it would be good, but then we went *seven weeks* with no nectar and much was eaten (costs me 30K to do a full round of feeding so we are careful not to over harvest the OSR) and the end result is a much below average early season honey crop.

If its any consolation the unit of hives in England was even worse! No honey at all until the last three weeks, and the hot weather fell smack in the middle of the gap. No nectar and lots of swarming and robbing in the middle of a heatwave.

Our best areas this year would be a small pocket west of Edinburgh (and even two miles away it was poor), Crieff, and the area round the Kincardine Bridge.

Feckless Drone
09-08-2016, 09:34 AM
I might be a bit more concerned about the one that is still making drone brood.....but concerned in a very minor way, probably ranks about 97 in the list of the top hundred things to worry about.

Thanks C4U. If I remember correctly you use deeps for the heather crop as well so I can see how this works. And yes I'm uneasy about that 16 month old Q still with drone brood mainly because that nest is now different from all the others. I maybe should unite and get rid but will probably just monitor and see how she is going into and through winter - if she does not do a runner (she's clipped) or gets bumped off before then. I don't want to interfere too much at this point because they have to cap off the stores for me.

Emma
10-08-2016, 04:23 PM
I united two colonies this afternoon and it resulted in a horrible war that I couldn't stop.
Kitta
I can so sympathise, Kitta. I seem to manage at least one new disaster a year. I console myself by trying to learn fast and never making the same mistake again. But I find brand new ones instead. Last year it was when I united two warm-way colonies. I used newspaper, always do. But with warm way, and a dummy board, there's sometimes a space at the back with no frames of bees underneath it. To the bees above that gap, it must have seemed like a clever way out of the trap, a way outside without confronting the alien colony. So they chewed a small hole through and slipped through, one by one... only to find that they were in alien territory and that the only way outside was past a massed rank of frames full of unfriendly bees. Hundreds died. Very horrible. So now I put a sheet of hard plastic at the back, & every time I do it I think: never again.
The other way I console myself, of course, is that hundreds of thousands of bees have emerged and thrived through my efforts, and a fair handful of colonies & queens have found their way into the wider world along the way. I'm sure you've achieved the same.

Mellifera Crofter
10-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks Emma - I'll follow your thoughts, and console myself likewise. I now have newspapers and Airwick 6 in 1 in the car.

I've been to check them this morning, and the queen survived the mayhem. She is there and laying.

Kitta

Emma
10-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Thanks Emma - I'll follow your thoughts, and console myself likewise. I now have newspapers and Airwick 6 in 1 in the car.

I've been to check them this morning, and the queen survived the mayhem. She is there and laying.

Kitta

Yay! - so the colony survives. That's their number one goal achieved then, for a start. Lovely news.

SDM
11-08-2016, 03:59 AM
Has anyone heard about this ? Why did he need 1000 litres of feed for 10 hives ?
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/256940/hunt-fife-vandal-may-killed-off-400000-honey-bees/

greengumbo
11-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Has anyone heard about this ? Why did he need 1000 litres of feed for 10 hives ?
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/256940/hunt-fife-vandal-may-killed-off-400000-honey-bees/

He probably bought enough for a good few seasons. We have an IBC of invert syrup that we use for 20 hives only. Still got plenty for the next few years.

We don't import ours all the way from the states though ! Pretty easy to get hold of in the UK for far cheaper than this article suggests.

Pretty annoying for the owner though.

The Drone Ranger
12-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Did you have a forklift to move your IBC when it was delivered GG ?

greengumbo
12-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Did you have a forklift to move your IBC when it was delivered GG ?

Not my own but yes used a forklift. How do you move yours Gavin ?

The Drone Ranger
12-08-2016, 10:18 AM
I've always wondered how people get them set up at a sensible height to use
I assumed you would need something like a forklift and a stand of some kind

gavin
13-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Not my own but yes used a forklift. How do you move yours Gavin ?

Bent knees, clamp arms around the thing, close to the chest ... and .... lift!!

No wonder I have a bad back ;).

The first time an IBC was delivered onsite by the supplier (onto a stack of pallets) by a mystery means he was trying for the first time. He seemed keen that I *wasn't* there but I've seen him since so he did survive! The second time syrup was decanted into an empty IBC on a trailer and once on site a friendly farmer shifted it with a forklift.

Just wanted to add that we've talked of getting a pump for future moves of syrup off a trailer IBC and into an IBC on a stack.

gavin
13-08-2016, 12:02 PM

They broadcast part 1 this morning (on bee diseases) and I'm told part 2 will be next Saturday.

Skip on to 17 min if you must but the whole programme is essential listening for anyone with an interest in the outdoors in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn3rs#play

I thought that you came across very well Ewan :)

Piece on Himalayan balsam just before (11 min) the one on bees.

emcampbell
15-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Cheers Gavin. I sounded much more calm than I did last night after opening up a particularly nasty hive after moving it ! I'm glad they cut the bit where I said "ahhh um er I dont really know"!.

gavin
15-08-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm glad they cut the bit where I said "ahhh um er I dont really know"!.

Shhh!!

Feckless Drone
15-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Still some lime trees in Dundee yielding - bees at it before 8 am. Nectar drops visible on Himalyan balsm on Balgay hill, and I'm told the heather in the Angus glens is stunning this year. Must try to get up and have look.

gavin
15-08-2016, 02:47 PM
I was also surprised at the odd lime tree still being in full flower at the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh yesterday. They're also in full flower in Glen Prosen.

Stopped off at an apiary near the Tay on the way back and the bees were excitedly flying back from the Himalayan balsam. Not much weight increase in the hive though, they're just recovering from a dearth.

chris
15-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Still some lime trees in Dundee yielding .

This afternoon I spent some time lazing in a hamac tied to a couple of limes. The leaves are already turning brown and drifting off on the breeze. Oh to be in Scotland :rolleyes:

gavin
16-08-2016, 10:30 PM
This afternoon I spent some time lazing in a hamac tied to a couple of limes. The leaves are already turning brown and drifting off on the breeze. Oh to be in Scotland :rolleyes:

The way the sun was beating down here today we'll be dried to a crisp soon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLlBOmDpn1s

gavin
16-08-2016, 10:37 PM
.... and I'm told the heather in the Angus glens is stunning this year. Must try to get up and have look.

You'd better believe it. I need 10 more supers at one site (in the same Glen as yours) as they've largely filled the one they had when they went up a week ago (rather late, back problem). Delicious smell of heather honey in the apiary.

SDM
17-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Same in Snowdonia, not 5 days up there and theyre capping the first box.
Bring it on.

Feckless Drone
17-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Delicious smell of heather honey in the apiary.
Oh! I'm going to have to get some supers organized then and pop up for a look. The problem is the work schedule and weather forecast. Gavin - did you put a clearer board on or just pop the next super under the filling one?

gavin
17-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Oh! I'm going to have to get some supers organized then and pop up for a look. The problem is the work schedule and weather forecast. Gavin - did you put a clearer board on or just pop the next super under the filling one?

I didn't have supers with me but will go up with them tomorrow. They'll go on top for most hives but for hives with cut comb supers that are near completion they'll go underneath. I don't use clearer boards (yet!) but just shake back into the colony (with an empty super in place) and brush off the few remaining bees, frame by frame.

The polystyrene hives were doing really well but the wooden ones (up there a week longer) less well. It could well be that the site the poly ones came from (and the fact they were polys) allowed more brood rearing in the weeks prior to moving them up, not sure. Last year it was the same - a better crop on the poly hives compared to the wooden ones (different early summer sites than this year).

gavin
17-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Yup, a super in five days may have been possible here too depending on the strength of the colony. Mine were single broods with single supers prior to the move and from which the honey had been harvested and the bees shaken into an empty super placed on top. In other words not particularly strong but good enough. And now the weather is even better ....

busybeephilip
17-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Gavin, I do feel jealous, sometimes I wish there was heather at my back door

SDM
17-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Yup, a super in five days may have been possible here too depending on the strength of the colony. Mine were single broods with single supers prior to the move and from which the honey had been harvested and the bees shaken into an empty super placed on top. In other words not particularly strong but good enough. And now the weather is even better ....

Double broods with mostly 3 supers before being prepped for the journey . I've since picked up a better site( I think) about 400ft lower in altitude and denser heather. I've got another 6 ready to go up in the morning.
I kept thinking the other day that I should have taken the honey and ran. I may have had more then than I'll have at the end. With forage in short supply at sea level they can only do better on the hill. Some equally strong Colonies have taken zip in a week of good weather in their home apiaries.
Supers off for the rest, treatments and feeding for them now.
1 site is a 2hr round trip for me , the other half that. So not exactly at my door. But this heather season has ... potential.

greengumbo
18-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Double broods with mostly 3 supers before being prepped for the journey . I've since picked up a better site( I think) about 400ft lower in altitude and denser heather. I've got another 6 ready to go up in the morning.
I kept thinking the other day that I should have taken the honey and ran. I may have had more then than I'll have at the end. With forage in short supply at sea level they can only do better on the hill. Some equally strong Colonies have taken zip in a week of good weather in their home apiaries.
Supers off for the rest, treatments and feeding for them now.
1 site is a 2hr round trip for me , the other half that. So not exactly at my door. But this heather season has ... potential.

Hmmmm I thought I was late getting some of mine to heather a few weeks back but I am now sorely tempted to move the remaining ones up on Saturday if you guys are suggesting its not too late. Heather does look very promising surrounding my site.

StephenBlacklaw
18-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone I am a new Member, I Joined the ESBA this year and I am eager to take my Bees to the Heather however I am finding it very difficult to find a spot. I have 3 hives 2 are fairly small one is double brood box. If anyone can help me find a spot it would be very much appreciated. thanks

gavin
20-08-2016, 11:52 AM
They broadcast part 1 this morning (on bee diseases) and I'm told part 2 will be next Saturday.

Skip on to 17 min if you must but the whole programme is essential listening for anyone with an interest in the outdoors in Scotland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn3rs#play

I thought that you came across very well Ewan :)

Piece on Himalayan balsam just before (11 min) the one on bees.

In case anyone missed it this morning, another two pieces in this morning's excellent Out of Doors. I wouldn't be promoting it here unless I was pleased with the outcome :-)

Around 45 min and 1 hr 14 min 30 secs but, as usual, the whole show is worth a listen. Mark has put the video back up on top of their Facebook page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pdp9j#play

The Drone Ranger
21-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Autumn conference in Elgin £40 I though that would be free as part of the membership benefits
Probably reading it wrong and thats just if you attend the talks ?

Feckless Drone
22-08-2016, 08:35 AM
How refreshing to hear (Out of doors) sensible discussion about bees and beekeeping on radio Scotland; then to read (The Courier) more common sense and good publicity with an article on one of the ESBA members, one Derek Uchman.

The Drone Ranger
22-08-2016, 05:56 PM
If your looking for Balsam try the river Isla around Meigle

Calluna4u
22-08-2016, 10:31 PM
If your looking for Balsam try the river Isla around Meigle

I'd be a little careful on that one....yes balsam in abundance.......but its also VERY close to a persistent AFB spot. Also the fields adjacent to the balsam are subject to rapid flooding.

The Drone Ranger
22-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Knew about the flooding risks next to the river the road was closed a couple of times last year
Didn't know about the AFB though
You can be pretty sure that going downstream there will be loads more balsam :)

EK.Bee
24-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Autumn conference in Elgin £40 I though that would be free as part of the membership benefits
Probably reading it wrong and thats just if you attend the talks ?

You do get lunch & break time refreshments thrown in too
It must have cost them a lot to row Tom Seeley over the Atlantic so I'm not grudging it

I do wish they'd drop the archaic send us a stamped addressed envelope for your tickets practice though
I kept forgetting to do it causing Fiona much distress (for which I offer unreserved apologies.)

Mellifera Crofter
24-08-2016, 02:26 PM
... I do wish they'd drop the archaic send us a stamped addressed envelope for your tickets practice though
I kept forgetting to do it causing Fiona much distress (for which I offer unreserved apologies.)

You can buy your tickets online, and then print them (that wasn't terribly obvious - but I got there in the end).
Kitta

Calluna4u
25-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Been really busy....almost frantic...for the last few days rushing up to get more boxes on the hives. It was looking like a massive heather season.

However yesterday brought something of a reality check and there will be no more box runs for this season.

The reason is that in our earliest places, most of which are in Deeside, the heather is now about 80% brown and despite these last few days being perfect calluna conditions the main opportunity in that area has now passed. Exceptions are the places with heather in wooded country where the season will go on till the start of September, so progress will still be made but they have enough room left.

Thus our Deeside range will end up as a somewhat above average season. Not huge but a sound viable year. Knew things were past their best when the puddles were ringed by drinking bees and the truck attracted a lot of attention. Only a couple of places like that so far but the end is close in that area.

Amulree still going strong, heather still in decent condition there and a lot of nectar the last few days.

The Dalwhinnie to Aviemore range is however having a massive heather year, one of the most intense ling flows I have seen, and its ongoing and the bees still strong enough. Boxes put on (Lang deeps) on Sunday 14th, as a precaution as the hives were not for the most part full, were full by 23rd, and at one spot they were flying strongly in light rain on Tuesday evening. Some of the places starting to look like the Manhattan skyline. Glad I chose the places for the Speyside group visit some time before, as it could look like a con job!

These days with 17 to 20C, cloudy, not too windy, and with good humidity, are perfect ling conditions. Hot and sunny less perfect unless the ground is very wet.

Wish they were all up there! All in all it will be a good heather year, but less than it might have been due to 50% of our bees being in Deeside. Third year in a row that the A9 area has been top performer.

SDM
26-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Well I've no idea what an average season on the heather is, as the previous 2 yrs was a complete blank on a natural resources Wales site that was £50 for 3 weeks with the dates having to be agreed mths ahead.
This year a 2nd super was half full 3days ago and I'll take a 3rd up on Saturday as the forecast for the next week is more 17-21°C and <15kts wind.
No signs of browning, but it was close to its peak I think. From the 16 I took up, I think a 3rd full super is now very possible by next weekend for the 10 that were up there first and a 2nd for sure from the 6 on the new better site ! That would mean I could recoup every penny I've ever spent on beekeeping in the space of 3 weeks. My guess is there's nothing average about that.
The mentor that I shared a site with for the last few years must be kicking himself for deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

Calluna4u
26-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Well I've no idea what an average season on the heather is, as the previous 2 yrs was a complete blank on a natural resources Wales site that was £50 for 3 weeks with the dates having to be agreed mths ahead.
This year a 2nd super was half full 3days ago and I'll take a 3rd up on Saturday as the forecast for the next week is more 17-21°C and <15kts wind.
No signs of browning, but it was close to its peak I think. From the 16 I took up, I think a 3rd full super is now very possible by next weekend for the 10 that were up there first and a 2nd for sure from the 6 on the new better site ! That would mean I could recoup every penny I've ever spent on beekeeping in the space of 3 weeks. My guess is there's nothing average about that.
The mentor that I shared a site with for the last few years must be kicking himself for deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

For some reason Wales has a generally lower average on heather than is the normal in Scotland and more especially Yorkshire. However, two full BS supers a hive is very respectable.

Our long term average at the heather over a period of many year, records going back to the 1970's, was 42.1lb per colony. Not recalculated it for three or four years though so expect it to have edged down a sliver to maybe 41 and a bit as four of the last 5 years have been poorer than average.

From discussion with some Welsh friends I think if you are getting 25lb or more long term (from heather, this does not include other crops) you are doing ok there. Over a decade you on average will get one bumper year and one big year. One very bad (under 50%) and the rest varying between 60% and 110% of average. Its a very variable harvest.

Feckless Drone
26-08-2016, 01:16 PM
However, two full BS supers a hive is very respectable.

OK - so my ambition is to hit "respectable" on the C4U scale, not sure I'll make "very". The Angus glens where I've got a site, is to the south sort of in between the two areas C4U talks about. It an exposed site, not much bell heather and bees have to fly a bit up to the ling and (with very limited experience) I would say its been good there this year. I've been using foundation or strips, mostly in sections so that reduces my crop compared to wired/drawn comb. I put empty supers of wired foundation on my colonies yesterday, below clearer boards and full supers, ready to take off soon. I'm not expecting much more honey but would like to get some comb drawn out - see other post and following on from C4U's practice of getting the bees to do this late in the season. The colonies were putting a lot of honey in the brood boxes so potentially the Qs might have been a bit constrained. Will have to watch that. A major downside is the nature of the colonies. Bees that were lovely to work with a month or so ago are now very defensive (code for £$£%$* horrible).

I was in Deeside in July and really surprised at how much Bell heather is around up there. I am assuming that the yields C4U mentions are a combination/continuation of the two types of heather. A good site with access to both could have a really very protracted flow.

SDM
26-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Everybody I've spoken to has said the Snowdonia heather is in poor condition. It's very patchy for sure, overgrazed in many places. Both land owners at my sites have mentioned not having heard a grouse for 3-5 yrs. The Natural Resources Wales policy of charging £50 for 3 weeks that they choose, even for 1 hive, can't be helping with pollination. And what is this Welsh obsession with bloody sheep ?
I suspect I'll remember this one for a while.

mbc
29-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Preseli heather looking good and has flowed freely at times, my site on the beacons has been something else and has been packing in honey at a barely believable rate, every time I've popped up with more boxes I've sat and had a smoke under a steady stream of bees working hard and have thanked my lucky stars, wonderful to see bees getting stuck into a proper flow after another awkward season here with very intermittent light flows since the sycamore went over.
Looking at averaging over 60lb on the Brecon beacon bees, may not sound much to you heather gurus up there but it smashes my previous best of just under 40lb a hive, just wish my crystal ball had let me know so as I could have prepped the lot for the trip.

Feckless Drone
29-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Definitely not a guru of any kind - and glad to hear about your good season down there.

SDM
01-09-2016, 11:22 PM
I've just been checking the forecast for next week and after some heavy rain Saturday and Sunday, the rest of the week looks like very light winds and low 20's temps. It may be wishful thinking but I'll be taking another round of supers with me on Monday. The higher and slightly wooded of my 2 sites seemed to be at its peak last weekend, so I was thinking of bringing them home around the 15th.

Calluna4u
02-09-2016, 09:00 AM
I've just been checking the forecast for next week and after some heavy rain Saturday and Sunday, the rest of the week looks like very light winds and low 20's temps. It may be wishful thinking but I'll be taking another round of supers with me on Monday. The higher and slightly wooded of my 2 sites seemed to be at its peak last weekend, so I was thinking of bringing them home around the 15th.

2015 was a freak season, quite unprecedented in its lateness. It is NOT normal for the bees to need new supers up the hive much after say 22nd August. Having said that in some of our places we were still adding boxes up until last weekend. We expect most of the last boxes to come back empty or to be used up as 'borrow boxes' at stripping time.

By now most bees, particularly in wooden hives, have gone from fill in up mode to fill in down, backfilling as the brood hatches out. Still reasonable nectar where the heather still has life in it, but it is now mostly going in lower down. Young queens in poly hives with good bee power still adding up top. (Speyside will see this for themselves on Sunday, weather permitting.) Some hives are VERY heavy down the hive, and second deeps in particular are just stuffed almost everywhere.

We start boarding on Wednesday next week as the full teams are back the following Monday, so some places getting boarded early so the guys do not come home empty at night.

Its a good season. Deeside a little above average, west Perthshire a tad better than that, and in Speyside its a bumper year. (estimates prior to extracting are 115, 130, 170 % of normal respectively, taken over all locations, there are ups and downs everywhere)

ps....'borrow boxes' before anyone asks, are deeps (of foundation at first) we use to take out the heaviest and oldest combs from the nest, to put in the fresh foundation that gets drawn in September and early October with the winter feeding. We use extracted combs for this after the comb drawing window (which varies by location and hive type) has passed.

Bridget
03-09-2016, 08:39 AM
You can buy your tickets online, and then print them (that wasn't terribly obvious - but I got there in the end).
Kitta

I'm glad to hear you are going Kitta as you may be the only person I know the face of! Look out for me

Mellifera Crofter
03-09-2016, 11:01 PM
I certainly will, Bridget. It will be nice to see you again.
Kitta

busybeephilip
04-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Millions of bees dead after treatment for Zika virus !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37269745

Calluna4u
05-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all who turned out on an uncertain day weatherwise yesterday, and endured a thorough 'drooking' at the first place, at yesterdays heather visit near Newtonmore/Kingussie. Very polite group, good standard of questions, and the after even hospitality was excellent. I was warned it would only be a small group. In the end it was anything but, a very good turnout. I hope you all enjoyed it.....after drying out.

Bridget
05-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks to all who turned out on an uncertain day weatherwise yesterday, and endured a thorough 'drooking' at the first place, at yesterdays heather visit near Newtonmore/Kingussie. Very polite group, good standard of questions, and the after even hospitality was excellent. I was warned it would only be a small group. In the end it was anything but, a very good turnout. I hope you all enjoyed it.....after drying out.

Everyone was fascinated by your hives (especially the weight of the frames!") and the most interesting show and tell. I think everyone will have been into their hives today. Fraser came back to tell me he could see exactly what you meant by the bees filling down, perfect example in one hive which has two brood boxes and no QE.
Lots of people mentioned the useful tips which they felt were important as they came from someone working with bees, day in day out. The group also commented how open, you were, and that was much appreciated.
Many many thanks, great afternoon despite the rain. Hope you both got back ok.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/e2dfbcee23e2c9b5b78502fce979d1f6.jpg

Calluna4u
06-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Nice photo! I did not notice anyone up the bank at the back taking pics. Permission was asked of course, so not a problem of any kind. You managed to get a shot that does not show my 'natural counterbalance'....useful for 'sumoing' heavy boxes onto Unimogs.

John from Dumfriesshire enjoyed his day too...he got home ok and has been on the phone full of ideas himself.

wee willy
09-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Looks like a fair amount of ragwort in the background ?

Calluna4u
09-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Looks like a fair amount of ragwort in the background ?

We have a few patches of it around most places we go. They show little interest in it unless desperate.

Just working heather, with a few from most hives on tormentil (which they never completely abandon even during the strongest flows).

You don't get the full impression from the picture but there is heather surrounding that location on all sides which lies almost in a bowl, and there is at least one face to the sun no matter what time of day. Its is too late a picture to see it but there is also a lot of bell there, especially on a hillside just out of shot to the right. Its a very good spot.

A shame we left the place just over half full this year.........

Calluna4u
10-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Knew about the flooding risks next to the river the road was closed a couple of times last year
Didn't know about the AFB though
You can be pretty sure that going downstream there will be loads more balsam :)

Bit late for this bit of advice......

Was at two of our units of nucs yesterday. Jolanta is away on her annual holidays and has been for four weeks and I was left in charge. I of course ran into a major heather flow and was too busy to attend to the nucs, but all the groups are deliberately sited on major areas of balsam to get late summer build up.

Thus I presumed they would be ok, and if there was an issue it would be the same one as last year, that they got too full on balsam and needed frames taking out.

Wrong. They have done precisely zilch on the balsam this year, apart from a few days that only maintained them. I find them not built up, no expansive brood rearing going on, and perilously light. They need feeding immediately, and two had actually succumbed to starvation. Not a major issue out of 350, but an embarrassment and sad to see. (This is the full 6 frame nucs I am talking about, not the mating boxes, which have been absolutely massacred by wasps in the last 3 weeks.)

Its a feeding weekend for me before 'she who worries about her babies' comes back and gives me serious grief.

Anyone else who has been relying on balsam and not bothering to look better go check their bees. The mature hives left behind as drone providers are a little better but no great shakes. Long way from having found their winter food from balsam and lime etc.

The Drone Ranger
10-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Good tip C4u its the ones with most brood who are at the greatest risk because they use up all the stores faster
Most of my bees are coming back coated white at the moment
Still feeding steadily though

Feckless Drone
12-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Surprised to hear this about the balsam. Just a couple of weeks ago you could see the nectar dripping off the flowers up on Balgay hill.

Q for you C4U (that I would have asked had I been visiting you site). If your colonies have had access to bell and ling heather honey then how do you deal with the different properties when extracting? or do you just loosen the ling and keep it all together?

Calluna4u
12-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Surprised to hear this about the balsam. Just a couple of weeks ago you could see the nectar dripping off the flowers up on Balgay hill.

Q for you C4U (that I would have asked had I been visiting you site). If your colonies have had access to bell and ling heather honey then how do you deal with the different properties when extracting? or do you just loosen the ling and keep it all together?

Just put the whole lot through the loosener and extract it in one pass. It can be messy passing bell through the loosener, and if any straight bell comes along it goes through the system without loosening. Not an issue this year as there will be no pure bell combs, the year being very heavily ling dominant.

I get the same price for both and the drums are then graded later by the trader. Some packers want high bell, others want high ling. My personal preference is a natural mix (by the bees, not done by a tank mix), maybe about 50/50, sold as a smooth set. Huge and long lasting flavour.

As for the balsam, well its a surprise to me too. The bees have been coming in white for weeks and I was quite happy they would be prospering, but far less nectar than last year. Two years ago was also a washout on the balsam. The only places that were getting much nectar also had access to bits and pieces of phacelia...you could see the pollen in them, but that is now mostly gone and though the balsam still has abundant flower on it the stores level is going down and egg laying is curtailed, which we don't want to see in the nucs, so it was feeding all weekend.

Feckless Drone
12-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks C4U. I've never tried the "loosener" just tend to press out the heather honey. Occasionally I see patches of what looks bell-like but I just mix it in. And from my site half way up the Sidlaws I get a mixture of clover, thistle, willowherb, bramble and ling going so always have to press the combs otherwise most of the honey just stays stuck. But, having a good amount of ling in with the blossom does give a good honey. I am going to have a go next season at getting a crop of bell heather honey.

GRIZZLY
05-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Bees taking down feed like mad.- still bringing in loads of yellow pollen together with white himalayan balsom. Still lots of forage about.

Bridget
09-10-2016, 09:19 AM
It's another beautiful day in the highlands. The earth is bone dry, my raspberries have gone mad producing new fruit and growth, the heather in the forest has dark green new growth and there are flowers on the cowberries, they usually flower in May. As the bees seem more active than normal for the time of year, will they be racing through their stores and will there still be lots of brood and new bees? I think we need to have a quick peek today. Trouble with having a bee house is we can't heft or the hive comes apart from the entrance.

gavin
09-10-2016, 09:51 AM
You'll just have to heft the entire bee house ;).

Late brood rearing is good imho. Lots of young bees to give the colony strength in spring (at the cost of some extra feeding).

madasafish
09-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I weigh my hives front and rear - rope and digital scales. 5 minutes/hive. (Only at this time of year and early spring)

Good way to tell if they are needing to be fed etc.

fatshark
09-10-2016, 04:14 PM
But as Bridget says, not possible with a tunnel-type entrance through the bee house wall. At least whilst the bees are still flying. Once they're pretty-much clustered you can do it.
I went through a couple of boxes in my bee shed last week. Fondant being taken down well - about 50% of the 12.5 kg gone I would guess - and good levels of sealed and open brood. Nucs looked particularly good. I think there are a couple more to check sometime in the next fortnight but then that's it for the season.

After that it's processing all that lovely honey ... should take about 10 minutes from this summer's crop :(

Mellifera Crofter
10-10-2016, 10:50 AM
I've never managed hefting. My colonies are on different hive types and in different configurations - so how do I know what is a good weight? I look, check that they have enough honey stores; and then feeding them and leave them with candy or fondant over winter in case they need it.

My winter feeding regime still needs improvement. I'm not too sure about it. I thought I'll try and follow C4U's example this year, but I don't think I managed. Mostly the bees ignored the foundation frames, and filled the rest chock and block with syrup to the point that, in some colonies, I'm worried about space for the queen to lay.
Kitta

Calluna4u
10-10-2016, 11:10 AM
I've never managed hefting. My colonies are on different hive types and in different configurations - so how do I know what is a good weight? I look, check that they have enough honey stores; and then feeding them and leave them with candy or fondant over winter in case they need it.

My winter feeding regime still needs improvement. I'm not too sure about it. I thought I'll try and follow C4U's example this year, but I don't think I managed. Mostly the bees ignored the foundation frames, and filled the rest chock and block with syrup to the point that, in some colonies, I'm worried about space for the queen to lay.
Kitta

Where did you put the foundation frames? They are still drawing them for fun here. They should be interspersed (not two together) in the middle of the nest.

Only reason I can think of that they would not draw those is if the colony is on the small side, but even then they do SOME.

If you are just looking in from the top you might not be seeing what they have done as, in some colonies, they can extend the shoulders of the old combs a bit and you don't see much on the former foundation frames from the top, but they have done them just the same.

Have some that have drawn and filled or even laid in up to 7 bars of foundation in the last fortnight, albeit 3 or 4 being more normal. About 60% of our colonies are stuffed wall to wall with bees and these can do surprising things even this late.

Gavin:- What are these fields with a brassica crop in them, looks like mustard but now flowering white and with occasional light purple flowering plants too? The bees are going nuts on it on sunny days. Nucs nearby have put on weight in October!

prakel
10-10-2016, 01:24 PM
I thought I'll try and follow C4U's example this year

Tried it on a few colonies last year and can honestly say that it's changed my whole approach at this time of year, there's now a couple of extra months of 'useful' work Quite simply, I was blind to the full potential previously but I'd definitely suggest that you persevere with it in future years.

Mellifera Crofter
10-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Where did you put the foundation frames? They are still drawing them for fun here. They should be interspersed (not two together) in the middle of the nest. ...

...I'd definitely suggest that you persevere with it in future years.

Thanks, C4U and Prakel. I think I was too timid in placing the frames, C4U. I've added them about second or third from the outside of the box, and they've ignored them. The colonies are strong. I've removed the ApiVar strips today from a few more colonies, and moved the foundation to the centre of the box, or right next to the frames with brood in them (none had more than two frames of brood, and only small patches; and some were without brood). I'll go back in a couple of weeks and check whether they've used them. If not, I'll remove them so that they can get on with winter, and then try again next year.

Kitta

Calluna4u
10-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Thanks, C4U and Prakel. I think I was too timid in placing the frames, C4U. I've added them about second or third from the outside of the box, and they've ignored them. The colonies are strong. I've removed the ApiVar strips today from a few more colonies, and moved the foundation to the centre of the box, or right next to the frames with brood in them (none had more than two frames of brood, and only small patches; and some were without brood). I'll go back in a couple of weeks and check whether they've used them. If not, I'll remove them so that they can get on with winter, and then try again next year.

Kitta

Not made clear is if you are actively feeding. This practice is ONLY to be done while actively feeding in autumn.....no flow, either natural or artificial and no wax will be drawn.....but then its the same any time. They are most unlikely, in rural Aberdeenshire, to draw wax on a natural flow at this time.

It is getting pretty back endish for doing it wood up here now, though this afternoon Jolanta reported seeing 6 full newly drawn combs in a Smith only fed on Friday. Will work in poly for another couple of weeks....then just don't do it any more up here unless you really know what you are doing.

Mellifera Crofter
10-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm feeding them, C4U. I was going to stop because they have a lot of frames with stores in them, but after reading your post I've decided to move the foundation frames to the centre and continue feeding a bit longer longer. I'll keep an eye on them and remove the frame if it's too late now.
Kitta

madasafish
11-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Kitta

Being obsessive, I weighed all my hive parts, frames etc...

Bridget
11-10-2016, 09:24 AM
We've always put the extracted frames back on and as we run double brood without QE in summer we put some extracted frames on top and and swapped others into the lower BB. Some were quite damaged from the heather honey extracting (seemed more difficult this year, maybe because all the blossom honey that sits on the bottom had been used up during the bad weather spell). Anyway most of them nicely tidied up, repaired and redrawn and honey moved down so it was back down to one broodbox and fondant on this weekend. Fondant on now because we didn't like to feed syrup while the wets were on top. We had intended to get them to draw new foundation with syrup as we are always short of drawn foundation in early summer but it didn't quite work out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbc
11-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Tried it on a few colonies last year and can honestly say that it's changed my whole approach at this time of year, there's now a couple of extra months of 'useful' work Quite simply, I was blind to the full potential previously but I'd definitely suggest that you persevere with it in future years.

+1
Possibly the best thing I've picked up from the interweb.

Mellifera Crofter
11-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Being obsessive, I weighed all my hive parts, frames etc...

Impressive, Madasafish. I doubt that I will be in a position to follow your example. I'll stay with looking. I've not yet had a colony die of hunger or isolation starvation.
Kitta

gavin
12-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Gavin:- What are these fields with a brassica crop in them, looks like mustard but now flowering white and with occasional light purple flowering plants too? The bees are going nuts on it on sunny days. Nucs nearby have put on weight in October!

Sounds like radish. There is a fodder radish used for game cover. The flowers tend to be a bit more open than OSR and with noticeable veins on the petals. Whitish to light purple.

http://www.floristtaxonomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/img_2210.jpg

Calluna4u
12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Sounds like radish. There is a fodder radish used for game cover. The flowers tend to be a bit more open than OSR and with noticeable veins on the petals. Whitish to light purple

That looks like the stuff Gavin. There are several fields of it near Meigle, also north of Burrelton. The bees are busy on it at every chance. Most of the flowers are white but some are light purple and some are various stages of intermediate.

One field has yellow mustard in the mix too, but it is almost past and the white/purple stuff has grown past it. Another has a mustard/phacelia mix in it.

gavin
17-10-2016, 11:06 PM
There was also a field of radish near Abernyte, so I hear.

Great to see them piling in yellow pollen during the brief sunny spell in the middle of the day. Ivy, I presume. That site, an old orchard in the Carse of Gowrie, used to have loads of ivy nearby but a groundsman cleared it out several years ago. I think that they now fly a few km for it on a S-facing slope. They're still taking down feed and building comb to put it in. Some of the colonies have shrunk to 5-6 frames of bees - natural shrinkage after a tough life on the heather or was my Varroa control a bit late?

All that rain recently has rendered a couple of apiaries off limits to Vera the Van. A kind fellow had to pull me out of one apiary near the Tay on Friday when the going got just too soft. Today I backed out of another before I went too far. It is the season for long walks in rather than driving up to the bees. Just as well the need to carry syrup to them is almost over.

The Drone Ranger
27-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Hi Gavin
I have a Suzuki Jimny for those jobs
Mind you it doesn't do much good when you lose your key in a deserted spot duh!!

Heres a pic of some of next years boxes pity you cant smell them
I love the smell of cedar in the morning (cue Valkyries)2768

prakel
27-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Heres a pic of some of next years boxes pity you cant smell them

Are those the seconds which you linked to previously?

The Drone Ranger
28-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Hi Prakel
Yes they are all Thornes seconds boxes, roofs, and floors

prakel
28-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Hi Prakel
Yes they are all Thornes seconds boxes, roofs, and floors

They look smart enough at those prices. If only their dadant gear got into the sales a little more often!

Adam
28-10-2016, 01:44 PM
pity you cant smell them
I love the smell of cedar in the morning]

When I took up beekeeping a few years ago, the smell of cedar instantly reminded me of when I was a child and Dad kept bees. Bootiful. :)

GRIZZLY
28-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Big surprise today. Went to my out apiary to retrieve some old hives to discover that two of them are occupied by a small colony each - both busy bringing in loads of ivy pollen. Now got to feed them both and see if we can get them to over winter.

Feckless Drone
01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
In the west end of Dundee, there has been lots of pollen gathering - I reckon most of it is from gum trees that have been in flower for a week or so, then some ivy coming in as well. The botanic gardens, and a few homes around the place have gum trees that are native to Tasmania so pretty hardy.
I think Edinburgh botanics also have a good collection of gum trees.

The Drone Ranger
14-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Flying bees again today hope they are not munching all their stores :]

Seems a bit quiet on the forum at the moment ?

GRIZZLY
14-11-2016, 05:44 PM
The queen should have finished her laying by now so seems a good time to zap the mites in the next few days. Still getting the odd flying bees around. Have not seen any pollen coming in so perhaps they are bringing in water. Huge temperature variations at the moment from minus 4.0 to plus 14.0. Hope its not going to follow last years pattern with all the disruption that caused.

prakel
14-11-2016, 07:16 PM
The queen should have finished her laying by now

Is that because of your location or the strain of bee? Seems incredibly early by our standards down here, I don't expect colonies to be broodless until the start of January or there abouts.

fatshark
14-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Queens certainly haven't finished laying in bonny Fife. Pollen being piled in today and a quick peek recently showed quite a lot of eggs and young larvae. Today was warm and it's predicted to get a lot cooler pretty soon.

Met Office has a neat comparison of climate site (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcu2mdydb) and this is what the minimum temperature comparison between Stranraer and Sidmouth looks like ... assuming you're both where you say you are (and who can tell on the internet?).

prakel
14-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Stranraer and Sidmouth looks like ... assuming you're both where you say you are

Not quite sure what's behind that comment....especially as I don't claim to be in Sidmouth anyway.

fatshark
14-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Nothing behind the comment at all ... the "assuming you're where you say you are" is an oblique reference to "On the internet nobody knows you're a dog" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog).

Wikipedia tells me the "Jurassic Coast" is Exmouth to Studland Bay (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Coast) ... I put Exmouth into the Met Office website and it returns Sidmouth as the closest climate station. You don't know whether I'm really in Fife*

--
* I am

mbc
14-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Is that because of your location or the strain of bee? Seems incredibly early by our standards down here, I don't expect colonies to be broodless until the start of January or there abouts.

November to the beginning of January is usually the best time to find hives broodless here*, it could be later this year after such a nice October / beginning of November. I used to poke about with my bees endlessly to satisfy curiosity, nowadays I prefer them to prosper and make me honey.

*here being lower teifi valley

prakel
15-11-2016, 10:51 AM
I used to poke about with my bees endlessly to satisfy curiosity, nowadays I prefer them to prosper and make me honey

Which of course is right and unquestionably sensible, but equally it's wise to build up a body of personal knowledge about what happens in our own hives rather than relying on authorative comments from people who often then go on to say that actually, they'd never open their boxes during the period that they're referring to.... Too much of that sort of nonsense going on.

I often wonder how many inefficient oxalic treatments are being made because people are missing their best window of opportunity through sheer ignorance of their own stock. Locally, early December appears to be a popular time for trickle treatment when, unless my bees are really unusual and out of sync with all the others, I know that the end of the first week of January would probably be a much better time to make a 'blind' treatment. But they don't listen to me, I'm just the mad man (some days more so than others :) ).

fatshark
15-11-2016, 11:30 AM
... a quick peek recently showed quite a lot of eggs and young larvae ...

I should have perhaps qualified this. I'm not poking around to satisfy curiosity. There was a very specific reason to go into this colony unrelated to beekeeping per se. "Don't do this at home" as they used to say about mildly risky activities on the Beeb. All of my other colonies were tucked up with ample fondant in early September and haven't been opened since the end of August. Other than observing what happens at the hive entrance and if brood cappings fall onto the Varroa tray (if it's in) there's almost nothing to do until April.

greengumbo
15-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Some pollen coming in at one site yesterday and today - good to see :)

17'C according to the car !

greengumbo
18-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Some pollen coming in at one site yesterday and today - good to see :)

17'C according to the car !

...and down to -3'C this morning. 20'C swing within a week.

At least the last of the wasps will now be gone.

prakel
25-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Hidden amongst the various email adverts promoting Black Friday sales which seem to be cluttering my inbox I've just stumbled on this from Honingraat:

TOTAL SALE
We stop with our shop on 31/01/2017.
Till than you can order on our webshop with a reduction of 20%.
Everything in stock must go

Although it's certainly sad to think that they're closing down it may be an opportunity to pick up some useful stuff (keilers and the German mini-plus boxes etc jump to mind) at very good prices, they also have an excellent UK free shipping on orders over £75.

http://www.honingraat.eu/

Greengage
29-11-2016, 02:37 PM
If you cannot play with the hives over the winter months you could build a new apiary. free from all pests and diseases and stings.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/92829

fatshark
30-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Nice work if you can get it (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2292921/the-university-of-sheffield-offers-29000-salary-for-part-time-beekeeper-position/) ... I guess the journo who wrote that story doesn't appreciate the consequences of the juxtaposition of the words pro rata and 'four bee colonies' ;)

greengumbo
01-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice work if you can get it (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2292921/the-university-of-sheffield-offers-29000-salary-for-part-time-beekeeper-position/) ... I guess the journo who wrote that story doesn't appreciate the consequences of the juxtaposition of the words pro rata and 'four bee colonies' ;)

Plus ubiquitous photo of bumble bee !

gavin
01-12-2016, 01:32 PM
pro rata

I'm sure that I could stretch out an inspection to a day and a quarter if warranted :-)

Today's news in not even sunny Tayside in December is that the MiniPlus nucs at the front of the house are piling in a yellow pollen like it was a summer's day. Nice to see bees in an optimistic mood. I presume it is ivy.

G.

greengumbo
02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm sure that I could stretch out an inspection to a day and a quarter if warranted :-)

Today's news in not even sunny Tayside in December is that the MiniPlus nucs at the front of the house are piling in a yellow pollen like it was a summer's day. Nice to see bees in an optimistic mood. I presume it is ivy.

G.

Excellent news indeed Gavin.

Bit chilly up here but a few workers venturing forth. Not sure where the ivy is around my apiary.

Also finally started building a honey warming cabinet. Box and insulation done and a small usb powered fan all wired up. Just need to decide on heating. I have a thermostat and loads of old reptile heat mats I thought I could bodge in or some old school light bulbs. My ecostat is wired up to an egg incubator so not overly keen to take it out and wire it to the cabinet.

GRIZZLY
20-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Bit of workshop housekeeping going on. Bees seem to be flying at every opportunity. No pollen seen now - guess they are making cleansing flights. Got everything strapped down well for the forthcoming gales. Tomorrow is the shortest day so hopefully things will be looking up soon.

Feckless Drone
27-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Next Tuesday in Dundee, a talk that might be of interest. If you do go give yourself time cause parking can be an issue.

Saving our Bumblebees

Start: 31 Jan 4:00PM End: 31 Jan 5:00PM
Cost: Free Organiser: CECHR

Bumblebees are amongst the most important of wild pollinators; many wildflowers would not set seed without them, and they are the main pollinators of crops such as tomatoes, blueberries and raspberries. Concerningly, many bumblebees are in decline, with 3 species now extinct in the UK and the first global extinction recently occurring in USA.

Dave Goulson, Professor Of Biology (Evolution, Behaviour and Environment) at the University of Sussex, will discuss the drivers of these declines, and the many things we can all do to halt and reverse them, at the Biochemical Society sponsored lecture.

Dave has published over 200 scientific articles on the ecology of bees and other insects, and is author of 'Bumblebees; their behaviour, ecology and conservation' (2010, Oxford University Press) and 'A Sting in the Tale' (2013, Jonathan Cape), a popular science book about bumblebees.

He is a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

In 2010 he was BBSRC "Social Innovator of the Year" and in 2013 he won the Marsh Award for Conservation Biology from the Zoological Society of London.

The lecture will be followed by a drinks reception from 5-6pm, giving the opportunity to meet with Dave in a more informal setting.

greengumbo
27-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Next Tuesday in Dundee, a talk that might be of interest. If you do go give yourself time cause parking can be an issue.

Saving our Bumblebees

Start: 31 Jan 4:00PM End: 31 Jan 5:00PM
Cost: Free Organiser: CECHR

Bumblebees are amongst the most important of wild pollinators; many wildflowers would not set seed without them, and they are the main pollinators of crops such as tomatoes, blueberries and raspberries. Concerningly, many bumblebees are in decline, with 3 species now extinct in the UK and the first global extinction recently occurring in USA.

Dave Goulson, Professor Of Biology (Evolution, Behaviour and Environment) at the University of Sussex, will discuss the drivers of these declines, and the many things we can all do to halt and reverse them, at the Biochemical Society sponsored lecture.

Dave has published over 200 scientific articles on the ecology of bees and other insects, and is author of 'Bumblebees; their behaviour, ecology and conservation' (2010, Oxford University Press) and 'A Sting in the Tale' (2013, Jonathan Cape), a popular science book about bumblebees.

He is a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.

In 2010 he was BBSRC "Social Innovator of the Year" and in 2013 he won the Marsh Award for Conservation Biology from the Zoological Society of London.

The lecture will be followed by a drinks reception from 5-6pm, giving the opportunity to meet with Dave in a more informal setting.

Nice ! I might well try to get down for this.

His books are beautifully written...even if I'm not on board with all the conclusions. Great speaker as well.

Kate Atchley
10-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Scotland's new Native Honey Bee Society's start-up meeting 1st April .... not an April fool but an April fun, action-packed event!

Hope to see lots of you there ... see http://www.snhbs.cot

Mellifera Crofter
10-02-2017, 09:58 PM
You dropped the 's', Kate. It's http://www.snhbs.scot .
Kitta

Greengage
12-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Good luck with the project.

RDMW
12-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Very interested in the snhbs . Don't think I will make the Perth meeting but will join the society
Greatly enjoyed Andrews course on colonsay last year and would like to breed amm here in Ullapool if possible
Was just looking at Dave cushmans page on morphometry which looks very complex. Does anyone know if it is possible to have morphometry done on your bees as a commercial service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimbo
12-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Hi RDMW

The snhbs is currently discussing a membership rate only if you can't attend the start up meeting on the 1st April in Perth
I do wing morphometry on a regular basis and can offer to check your colonies for free if you join the snhbs
I expect one of the training courses that snhbs could offer in the future is in wing morphometry if the members who go to the inaugural meeting think there is a need for such a course

lindsay s
18-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Last year's Birthday cake. Made by a friend of a friend, it made my day.

Greengage
19-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Are they Scotland's new Native Honey Bee I was wondering what they looked like :rolleyes:

Jimbo
19-02-2017, 02:09 PM
I think they are a bit too yellow for our native dark bee, however I am will to give them try!

lindsay s
19-02-2017, 11:21 PM
I think they are a bit too yellow for our native dark bee, however I am will to give them try!
Just like the cake yellow bees don’t last long in Orkney. You tested (not tasted) some of my bees back in 2011. The best colony was about 94% AMM. Don’t worry the dark bees won’t be eaten by me.
Late last summer while helping another beekeeper to get ready for winter I was surprised by the temperament of her dark bees. I’m hoping to get my hands on some this Spring.

Poly Hive
20-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Odd here today. All singing and dancing weather station says 10C. Barely a bee flying. Hmm... odd.

PH

GRIZZLY
20-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Bees seem to have woken up today - flying and fetching in pollen. Soon went back inside when sun disappeared.

Bridget
04-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Bees very busy today. Beautiful weather in the Cairngorm National Park but still cool. I was surprised to see bees all over the bird table, turning over the seeds and even inside the feeder entrance. Any one seen this? What are they looking for? Tried to upload a short video but not working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wee willy
04-03-2017, 05:00 PM
I can only imagine they'd be looking for protein in some form !

Bridget
04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Maybe - they were on the gorse but there wasnt any pollen on them. Snowdrops seem to have no pollen left either and nothing else much around in this area. I think I will give them some pollen patties.

alancooper
05-03-2017, 09:29 AM
I can only imagine they'd be looking for protein in some form !

Was it water on the underside of seeds - not yet evaporated but warmer than elsewhere and containing other soluble materials? I often see my bees sucking up small droplets from grass leaves in the sun.

alancooper
05-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Bees seem to have woken up today - flying and fetching in pollen.

Last week there were yellow pollen loads coming. I thought it might be gorse but microscope identification showed it to be willow. This is the earliest I have ever seen it brought in so early. Early Feb also showed hazel pollen loads. Snowdrop flowers disappeared last week and my Victoria plum has almost finished flowering. This winter has been really mild - all hives heavy with stores but probably mostly ivy (sucked dry?), fondant being used since Jan and bees flying more frequently than usual. Itchy fingers waiting for a warm calm day to do a quick first inspection.

prakel
08-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Some may remember the photos I posted a few years ago of the skeletal remains of a mouse, varnished with propolis and glued to the bottom bar of a frame. Well they've been at it again, but not a mouse this time:

lindsay s
08-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Your bees are at the Jurassic Coast so it could be one of these.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/dino/images/e/e0/T-rex-picture.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090930201842

prakel
09-03-2017, 10:10 AM
lol. When I find one of THOSE basking on a hive roof in the summer I'll be heading to Orkney :).

Bridget
09-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Was it water on the underside of seeds - not yet evaporated but warmer than elsewhere and containing other soluble materials? I often see my bees sucking up small droplets from grass leaves in the sun.

Don't think so as the seed was under a roof and it looked dry. Nice idea though

Bridget
09-03-2017, 05:04 PM
lol. When I find one of THOSE basking on a hive roof in the summer I'll be heading to Orkney :).

There is a great video doing the rounds of a French Beekeeper who has put his hens in near his hives and the hens are very partial to picking off the Asian hornets

Neils
25-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Well ventured a quick peek in the hives today. A little nippy really but wanted to clear the floors. Two hives fine, queens seen and brood so closed up again nice and quick. One looks like it's not long for this world, no queen in evidence, not many bees and what little brood is in there I suspect is old. Not much I can do at this stage but two out of three is better than last year.

Adam
28-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Some may remember the photos I posted a few years ago of the skeletal remains of a mouse, varnished with propolis and glued to the bottom bar of a frame. Well they've been at it again, but not a mouse this time:

And a zinc excluder by the looks of it. Are there many left in use I wonder?

Calluna4u
29-03-2017, 11:17 AM

I have many hundreds in the Smith unit. whilst wire are better the bees do seem to pass these easily when they are framed, more easily than plastic ones.

prakel
29-03-2017, 11:34 AM

At least 100 here - I might count them one winter evening, or not!

Wmfd
31-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Moved three hives to a new site last night. We ended up slightly later than expected so finished up, setting on stands and opening up, in the dark.

The site is on a nature reserve so will be interesting to see how it compares with my other out apiary further east which is much more agricultural.

Ironically though they've OSR closer on the new than the old site. We seem to have much less being grown around here this year. Is this a common change?

madasafish
01-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Moved three hives to a new site last night. We ended up slightly later than expected so finished up, setting on stands and opening up, in the dark.

The site is on a nature reserve so will be interesting to see how it compares with my other out apiary further east which is much more agricultural.

Ironically though they've OSR closer on the new than the old site. We seem to have much less being grown around here this year. Is this a common change?

Common comment. With neonics, many farmers are growing something else..

fatshark
01-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Was also told today that oil prices are lower so less profit margin ...

prakel
02-04-2017, 09:38 AM
No apparent downturn around here thankfully, as one farmer told me the other week, ''we'll do what we need to, but we're still growing rape''.

Calluna4u
02-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Common comment. With neonics, many farmers are growing something else..

Very odd....must be a local thing.............my two biggest growers have a larger acreage in than ever before. Without looking for new territory will have trouble covering it all, and we have more colonies this spring than ever before too.

Same is true in our southern unit....they have given us as much OSR as we can handle. (Only the surplus from the fruit pollination go to OSR down there)

We have one or two of our normal farms are without OSR this year, but that's just a crop rotation matter, and conversely some who were without it last year have it again this year.

The biggest growers we go to are doing industrial OSR on long term contracts.

Despite their concerns about lack of neonics most are continuing to grow it, albeit with misgivings about the older generation pesticides they need to use and I am finding them very much in a mood to discuss the matter with us.

Some are starting to see the amateur sector, especially the UK national body, as the enemy too. Too much tub thumping and no care for the farmers interests......................'ok....so take your bees away then' seems to be a position being taken by more farmers than before, despite their knowledge that bees are generally beneficial.. We almost always have to have a position on these matters now before access is granted.

Calluna4u
02-04-2017, 09:42 AM
No apparent downturn around here thankfully, as one farmer told me the other week, ''we'll do what we need to, but we're still growing rape''.

Yes, its not a calculation done in isolation. For many its a crucial break crop as part of their rotation. They will usually continue to grow it even if it is not especially profitable, although they have done well from it the last couple of years, and if they are doing special varieties for dedicated clients (like the industrial guys in my last post) they are somewhat protected from the vagaries of the open market.

prakel
02-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Speaking to the same farmer on Tuesday evening, he mentioned that his neighbour is growing rape for the very first time this year -they've avoided it like the plague in the past due to also running a livery but have now made a total about-turn.

mbc
02-04-2017, 10:18 AM
My osr farmer is growing a variety called "veritas " and despite being in flower during some warm weather and ground moisture last year my bees didn't get much from it. By the third week of flowering the may had also come out and the bees were going to that in preference. Anybody else experienced this?

Wmfd
02-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Interesting, the farmer where I have my original out apiary had big losses last year, which they are blaming on flea beetle/lack of neonics. So this year they are growing beans for the first time as a break crop.

I wonder if there are regional differences on this? In the past around here rape has been the main break crop, with sugar beet as the other. A bit of diversity in crops would be a good thing, and great that the reduction in OSR isn't an overall trend!

fatshark
02-04-2017, 03:45 PM
I wonder if there are regional differences on this?

I was told by an authoritative source today that there's been quite a bit of trouble with flea beetles in the South/South East (UK), but much less elsewhere.

Greengage
03-04-2017, 08:01 AM
I read a study where Honey bees avoid rape if pollen beetle are on the crop Ill look it up if your interested. Also rape does not need to be pollinated by bees but they does do help to have seed set more evenly across the field and quicker setting of the seed.
When it was first produced in Canada it was mainly used for the oil industry and it had an acid in it the was not digestible by humans. They then set to work and produced CANOLA (Canada Oil Less Acid) now it could be used in the cooking industry and there is a bigger market.
When using it for cooking they say that too high a temperature is bad for us humans too, then I am not a doctor so what would I know. There does not seem to be too much of it around my local areas as in previous years so maybe it is a crop break.
Re the other comment regarding farmers and Beekeepers and NGOs there is growing concern amongst farmers that this is an issue that has to be addressed as there are too many armchair Ologists commenting on things they know nothing about. They regularly accuse farmers of destroying the environment, destroying Habitats, using excess pesticides etc. Forget about all the other armchair Ologists (Ecologists, Biologists, Ornithologists etc..) but beekeepers should attend and join local farming groups are build relationships, I have suggested to my local organisation they should have a Forage officer who could attend these meeting and build relations, He/She would know where best forage is available and they could suggest responsible beekeepers who could contribute bees to help farmers with pollination especially early in the season when other pollinators do not have colonies built up. In the payments to farmers scheme there is no allowance for allowing Honey bees forage on their land but there are payments for having nesting boxes for birds and sand boxes for nesting for solitary bees. Beekeepers could help promote a submission to allow for Honey bees to be includes after all they are listed as livestock on the Dept of Agriculture website.

prakel
04-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Any ideas? Saw some ields of 'something' in flower, colour ranging from white to a dusky pink/pale mauve colour (two different plants or the same one, I can't say). Poor description I know, but couldn't stop to look more closely and quite overcast so colour may have been a bit distorted. Definitely a crop, covering 6 or 7 fields, with OSR either side.

gavin
04-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Possibly oil/fodder radish.

http://www.elsoms.com/catch-crops/oil-radish

http://www.elsoms.com/assets/images/content/_large/Oil_Radish_5.JPG

Wmfd
05-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I was told by an authoritative source today that there's been quite a bit of trouble with flea beetles in the South/South East (UK), but much less elsewhere.

Is that this year, or last? I suspect the reasons for the switch here were based on last year as the farmer seemed to have decided very early. Having said that it does seem localised as a few farmers in the area have switched, whilst a little way away the OSR is in bloom.

prakel
07-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Possibly oil/fodder radish.

I reckon that you're right Gavin, not seen that in these parts before.

Neils
10-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Made the most of the glorious weather to see properly what's going on in the hives. All three queens in lay so even my iffy hive looks like it will pull through as missing queen very much in evidence and a couple of frames now contain brood, I'll transfer that to a nuc as there is mouldy pollen and a distinct smell of fermenting going on though I've removed all frames of old stores where there was no brood. Poly national nuc is now in a full size hive and final -4x12 has been tidied up and fresh frames replacing old frames of stores that will be mostly syrup.

Drone frames removed and stores cut out, they need rewiring but can then go back and a frame of stores also likely syrup moved to the freezer for later use.

Way too early to need supering but lots of food coming in and an uplifting start to the year after the disappointment of the last few years.

Feckless Drone
10-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Way too early to need supering

I'm seeing pictures of OSR fields fully out down south, on Tayside they are now turning and I have seen some sycamore that is almost ready to yield. So, I thought things would be in full flow south of here. I've had to super up some of my colonies with nectar coming in. My choice was go to double brood or add the super to provide some space. According to my notes this is 2-3 weeks ahead of last year. I am not exactly sure what the source of nectar is at the moment - we have lots of gorse in flower but that is not really thought to provide much. I suspect some of my colonies are going to build up further on the OSR but not get much of a crop given that it is early this year.

alancooper
10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Based on flowering times in a range of hedge and meadow species, we are about 2 weeks ahead of last year. Masses of willow, dandelion and Prunus-type (laurel?/plum?) pollen loads coming in. Hives bunged with bees, sealed brood and ivy stores (bees sucking water from damp leaves to dilute?). Early swarming year?

Neils
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
The OSR is out as are the dandelions. None of the colonies are big enough currently, nor are the queens in full lay as I don't feed unless they're short. They've all got laying queens and I'll use my bigger colony to boost the smaller in the coming weeks. The stronger colonies have fresh frames in the brood boxes to play with which will keep them occupied for a bit and it's going colder again this week.

I'm also about as high up the mendip hills as you can get so we're typically a few degrees colder and a couple of weeks behind the tropical lowlands of the rest of the south west.

There's definitely a flow on, hence being happy to remove some of the stores left over from winter, but it'll be a little while here before they need a super.

Adam
10-04-2017, 01:37 PM
A yellow-flowered radish was grown near me as a green manure this winter. It's now been killed off and ploughed back in. Prunus (plums of various types) and blackthorn are out as are dandelions. The apple tree in the garden will be in flower in the next day or two. Despite a good income and plenty of liquid stores in my hives, bees are still sucking up water. OSR is out in Norfolk - has been for a couple of weeks. I don't think there's any near me this year though. I do believe that there were East Anglian hotspots of problems with OSR last year with the stem flea beetle which might have put some farmers off. And as sugar has been cheap, there may not have been a good price for it.

lindsay s
11-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Although it was less than ideal bee weather I managed to carry out a quick inspection of all of my colonies at the weekend. The hive floors were cleaned, mouldy combs were removed and the heavy stones were reduced down to one per hive at the same time. One hive was riddled with drone brood and there was no sign of the marked queen. I will sort it out and unite with an over wintered nuc as soon as the weather improves. Another hive had dwindled down to a few hundred bees no brood and one open queen cell. The bees were brushed off the bars and left to find new homes in the other hives because I removed there old home. As for the rest they all had between 3 and 4 bars of brood ok levels of stores and there was plenty of pollen coming in. Although I’m disappointed to have lost two colonies, being left with eight out of ten ain’t bad. The weather has turned colder (between 6 and 9c max) and is set to stay like this for the next week. The dandelions are coming out and there is other forage out there so the only thing holding the bees back is the weather. They could be in for a very long wait.
P.S. Losing the two colonies might be down to late supersedure but I will leave that for another post.

amacaul
17-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Hi I'm a lurker and don't normally post so if any of the link or pasted text is not accepted convention here I apologise. I came across when looking at news back home.

http://www.hebrides-news.com/rare-black-bees-stolen-12417.html

Theft of rare black honey bees is serious blow to conservation efforts

12 April 2017

Police are investigating the theft of thousands of rare black bees in the Western Isles.

The two hives in Manish in Harris were part of efforts to save the threatened native European honeybee species, generally known as black bees due to their dark colouring.

Dedicated breeder, Gavin Jones, believes his hives were deliberately targeted. He was off the island caring for his dying father when thieves struck.
The 56-year-old said his stolen stock was vitally important genetic resource in the drive to stop the species becoming extinct.

Since the last Ice Age, the European dark honeybee was the dominant bee in the UK until it was brought to the brink of extinction by disease from imported Italian bees.

Now only a handful of isolated spots in the far north of Scotland are free from the Varroa parasite which decimated the original pure Scottish or British black bee. The Manish colony would have swollen to tens of thousands of bees over the summer.

Mr Jones is “upset” at the theft after trying to increase their numbers after seven years and breeding a local “Harris” subspecies of high purity tough enough to stand up well to the Hebridean climate, flying in rain, wind and poor weather to forage in moorland and exposed terrain.

He said: “I think they were specialist black bee thieves. I’ve had breeders turning up here offering me good money for nucleus I just don’t have to sell.

“There’s not that many people breeding at this level of purity and they can’t keep their stock clean [due to disease and cross-breeding with Italian bees] but we can here.

“It is so hard to breed black bees up here and I had something that was useful for the whole world.”

Dr Alan Bowman of Aberdeen University who is involved in research into bees said it was a “completely baffling” crime.

The senior lecturer said: “To me, this seems to be targeted - not random.”

“Its rather completely baffling for what purpose they were stolen.

“This is quite sad when a bee enthusiast puts in time and effort and then someone has stolen them.”

The researcher said: “This is a significant loss to the bee community and to the amount of genetic material in the UK.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said a family friend last saw the hives on 14 March but they were missing when he returned to check on the property two weeks later.

He said inquiries are ongoing and anyone with information should call Police Scotland on 101.

fatshark
17-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Welcome amacaul ... Greengage mentioned this on a recent thread on the Scottish Native Honey Bee Society (SNHBS) and expressed his opinions (http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/showthread.php?2116-Scottish-Native-Honeybee-Society&p=37830&viewfull=1#post37830) which I suspect are shared by many readers.