PDA

View Full Version : Who killed the honey bee?

AlexJ
15-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Documentary on BBC4 at 2100 tonight apparently going to explore the 'mystery affliction' CCD.

Calum
16-02-2011, 02:54 PM
nice that bees are being given the TV airtime. Pity it contains so much misinformation.

Eric McArthur
16-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Calum wrote:
Pity it contains so much misinformation.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Hi Calum
What did you find that “offended”?
The beekeeper who demonstrated the oxalic acid “trickle” was a real charlatan. The treatment is supposed to be a light trickle of “rain drop” proportions and 4 – 5 mls per occupied bee space. This guy laid a thick sugar syrup “strip” of syrup/oxalic jelly on the small cluster of bees, which covered 4 frames at best at frame top level. This unfortunate small cluster of bees got the full 50 mls and far too early!

Eric

AlexJ
17-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I found the programme tried to pack in too much at a superficial level to point the finger at pesticides as being at the root of CCD (with no real evidence given).

While pesticide use is undoubtedly an issue, I believe there are a raft of other factors that should not be ruled out as contributing to honeybee health in our modern environment.

I also noted the ‘industrial’ manner in which the bees in the US were treated, which must surely stress them and make them more susceptible to disease?
Alex

Isca
18-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Alex.

Bees are under stress in this country and elsewhere, but the financial factors in the US are extreme.

There's enough for everyone's need, but not for everyone's greed

gavin
19-02-2011, 02:13 PM
If anyone missed it, you can see it currently on the i-Player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jzjys/Who_Killed_the_Honey_Bee/

gavin
19-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Did anyone notice Martha Kearney's difficulty with the word colony?!

About 32 min 55 secs. An amazing coincidence.