PDA

View Full Version : Buying bees. Advice most welcome!

theopuss
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I have been researching beekeeping for the last 2 years and been a member of my local association for 1. I am now at a point where I am dying to get my own bees. Members of my local association have had a bit of a tough time with their bees and no-one is in a position to gift me. I have been looking into different suppliers and have had a few hints from local members on things to look out for and questions to ask but I am wondering if anyone can offer advice. It's good to hear everyones opinion!

Jimbo
10-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi Theopuss,

The first question is where do you live. Some areas of Scotland are still varroa free and the last thing you want to do is to bring in a varroa infected colony. It is best to buy local bees for your area, again some areas in Scotland still have native or near native Amm bees and some beekeepers are trying to preserve the strain. You don't want to bring in imported bees from a beekeeping supplier that will affect these local colonies.
The way it works in our association, a new beekeeper is given a mentor to work with in the first year after they have attended a training course. The mentor usually will then give the new beekeeper a Nuc colony, usually late summer. The normal fee for the nuc is £50 paid to the beekeeper.

Neils
11-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Theo, Jimbo's covered perhaps the technicalities of obtaining bees in your area; the only thing I'd add would be to say that whomever you get your bees from, insist on inspecting them first.

I've been amazed at the number of people who've bought, in good faith, a box of bees without ever asking to look inside. I guess as a poor analogy, would you buy a puppy without wanting to see it first?

If you aren't entirely sure what you should be looking for, ask someone from your association to go with you; I couldn't find the SBA version, but the BBKA guidelines for Nucs can be found Here (http://www.britishbee.org.uk/files/nucleus_leaflet_2009.pdf). Anyone who wont let you inspect the Nuc before you hand over the money should be an indication to walk away in my opinion.

jenstar
14-02-2011, 09:31 PM
hello jimbo , i am interested in keeping bees and have joined up on this site to try and find some info about local groups, and noticed you are in rosneath quite close to me. I am in Helensburgh. do you have any suggestions as how best to start? are there any clubs being run locally so i can learn the craft? jen

Jimbo
15-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Jenstar,
There is a beekeeping association in Helensburgh. If you look up www.helensburghbees.com you will get all the contact details there. We meet on the the 4th Thursday of the month in Rhu Parish Church Hall, Church Place, Rhu at 7.15pm The next meeting is on the 24th Feb. You will be made most welcome. The association runs courses throughout the year for new beekeepers at their club apairy and will help you get set up with your own colony. You will also be assigned a mentor to help you in your first year.

Jimbo