PDA

View Full Version : oxalic acid

b.lambert
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
thanks all for the info on dosages, just being a newbie you want to get these things right. Can I just say that I received an email from national Bee base dated 27.1.11 calling for beekeepers to treat with oxalic when is the right time? I am now doubting myself and a bit confused wondering if it is a good idea as the queen may have started laying. should it have been done earlier? got the solution ready and weather seems much calmer just a bit scared as to whether I am doing the right thing

gavin
05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
December is the best time, but unless you are sure that your bees are fairly free of Varroa (for example, from a series of observations on mesh floor inserts) I would treat now anyway. The efficiency will be decreasing as time goes on. The treatment itself is unlikely to do significant harm.

b.lambert
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
thanks for that I just had to grab the bull by the horns and got on with it this afternoon 3 good seams of bees in small hive plenty stores in the double brood they did not seem to mind my intrusion worked as quick as possible