PDA

View Full Version : Hit by Vandal's

necterboy
05-02-2011, 01:55 AM
I skied to one of my fields last evening to check on my hives after a recent snow storm. About midway through the field I should have been able to see the hives along the tree line but not this time. Reaching my bee yard I found all fives hives toppled over and components strewn everywhere. All were lost and I'm assuming the #$%^*@:mad: hit my hives the day before the storm. I scooped away the snow (20cm) to discover the ground black with my girl's. There was some evidence of a snowmobile & I was told by the land owner there was three or four sleds in the vicinity of my hives. These people had to go out of their way to do what they did. I just can't believe it, I'm in total shock. My son & I stacked the equipment back on the elevated stands to give the illusion that all is well and set up two trail camera's which should provide good pic's if they decide to return. I reported the incident to the police and what a waste of time that was. They looked at the site from their car through field glasses which from the secondary road they were on was about 800m away. After over 14 years in 1 Can Para these worm better hope I don't identify them. Sorry about the rant & I'll most likely calm down at some point but it's tough. Hope you all are wintering well.

Alan

Neils
05-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Really sorry to hear it, think a rant at least is justified under the circumstances.

gavin
05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
That's terrible Alan, really sorry to hear that. Somehow you imagine that Canada is less troubled by moronic behaviour than we are, but it is just not true. The hacker who brought down the forum a couple of months back was a Canadian teenager (I worked out who he is) but lives at the other side of your country.

The latest Scottish Beekeeper has a small piece by Charlie Irwin on the insurance and compensation schemes run by the association for all of its members. He says that for the first time for many years there were no claims for vandalism in 2010.

HensandBees
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
just adding my sympathies........ not quite the same but I once lost my bees to vandals . I think they were looking for wood for their camp fire as I found the charred remains of the gate later in the woods.....it is quite sickening. Lets hope the got stung!

necterboy
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks all. Every day that passes I seem to calm down a little more. The initial shock has passed & I'm in the process of assembling new frames etc. Acquiring bee's may bee an issue though. Hopefully I can do a split or two this year to rebuild my stocks. All the best.

Alan

POPZ
05-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Good attitude - rebuild! But nonetheless a horrible thing to happen to you and your son. It must be a bit like being burgled, it is not just the damage and loss, but also an invasion into ones privacy. Good luck to you both for 2011.