PDA

View Full Version : Colony Collapse Disorder

necterboy
08-01-2011, 03:39 AM
There's a TV program I enjoy which had an episode on CCD which some of you may find interesting. The program is called Nature of Things and is hosted by Dr. David Suzuki. Google "Nature of Things" and select "Watch Online". Scroll down to "Watch more full episodes". Select page 3 and you'll see "To Bee or not to Bee". It raised a lot of alarm bells for me. Personally I believe migrant bee framers and poor nutrition are major players.The show lasts about 45 minutes but is worth the investment of time. Grab a tea & enjoy.

POPZ
08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Necterboy. I was given a DVD about CCD which I watched last night. It is called 'Vanishing of the Bees' and produced by Dogwoof. It was really good and I thought very well done. It pointed the finger at pesticides, a combination of many other things, and more importantly the lack of action from our political masters. Overall an interesting and thought provoking documentary.

I will try and find the tv program you mention.

necterboy
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks POPZ. I'll try and track it down. It sounds interesting.

robin118
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
In an Australian government report "Fat bees skinny bees" they highlight a problem with bees only having one source of pollen and say that a colony needs three to be healthy and have cases witch I think are similar to ccd found in America normally in colonies used to pollinate vast areas of monoculture. Im no scientist and may be adding two and two.

robin118
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Tried to watch it but will not stream outside Canada. Regards

necterboy
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree robin. I personally believe a varied diet is ultra important to overall health and well being of colonies. My apairies are stationary and the girls feed only on wild flora throughout the season. I must admit though that the amount of overgrown & abandoned farm land in my area helps. I'm not knocking migrant bee keepers but its not for me. I had the opportunity to work for a very large scale operation (briefly) in the states. It just wasn't for me. The stress placed on the bee's by the amount of travel throughout the season was overwhelming.Thousands of Km per season. Honey or bee health was not the main goal. Pollination of crops, set fruit. That was the goal. The bee's were considered as a paycheck and not much more.

necterboy
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I'll have an account with CBC (Nature of Things) and I'm allowed to download, obtain CD's etc. I'll get you a copy.

POPZ
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
In an Australian government report "Fat bees skinny bees" they highlight a problem with bees only having one source of pollen and say that a colony needs three to be healthy and have cases witch I think are similar to ccd found in America normally in colonies used to pollinate vast areas of monoculture.

That is one of the factors that comes over very strongly. Monoculuture involves huge areas of the same plant species which not only gives 'pests' a wonderful food source which in turn leads to large amounts of pesticides to control them, but some of the latest pesticides are now incorporated with the planted seed leading to a systemic plant action which obviosly remains in the pollen and also in the ground for long periods of time.

Monoculture also means a single flowering period over a short space of time and then becomes a desert as far as pollen/nectar is concerned. As you say, bees need a varied and sequential pollen source.

Rosie
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Try not to be conned by these people who push pesticides as the only problem bees have. Despite plenty of effort by the American scientists they have failed to show any correlation betwween pesticide usage and CCD. In fact Dee Lusdby, who keeps bees organically in the Arizona desert, suffered from CCD and admits that the cause must be elsewhere.

A virus has recently been found to exist in unison with other pathogens in all CCD cases and has been implicated with some confidence by the researchers. No doubt Gavin will be along soon with chapter and verse about His viruses that GLOW IN THE DARK!

Rosie

POPZ
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Rosie, yes maybe I was a bit pointed in what I said although it maybe one of the problems that exacerbates the situation. I guess as a past arable farmer, I find the idea of monoculture to be very retrogressive as regards our environment. In fact, is one of the reasons I left intensive arable farming, moved to Mull and took up dog and stick farming with a few galloways and some sheep - fantoosh.

I guess to date that no one really knows yet. The work done on viruses is interesting but appears to be in early stages as yet. Fortunately we are disease free here on Mull so far, but for how long remains to be seen. And certainly no monoculture or pesticides thank goodness.

Our only apparent threat are Gavins glowing specials - let's hope they don't like water!

Adam
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I think some of the practices of the (big) US beekeepers is poor - shipping bees across country, mixing them with any disease going in a monoculture with other bees and then spreading the disease about the country when the bees are taken away - maybe to another monoculture site doesn't appear to me to be good beekeeping practice. It's not what bees are supposed to do.

Varroa, Nosema Ceranae, pesticides, trucking, antibiotics, environmental pollution are all contributory factors. Beekeepers (Michael Bush) who don't do these things seem to have healthy bees. There's a lesson there.

Rosie
11-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Varroa, Nosema Ceranae, pesticides, trucking, antibiotics, environmental pollution are all contributory factors. Beekeepers (Michael Bush) who don't do these things seem to have healthy bees. There's a lesson there.

Are your certain of that Adam? Dee Lusby does not do any of these things either and she admits to having CCD.

Rosie

Adam
11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Rosie,
Talking in generalaties I am pretty sure that the practices I wrote about in post 11 are not good and will tend to spread disease. I think the best guess at the moment is that CCD is caused by a combination of things as we don't fully understand why CCD occurs, sadly.

necterboy
11-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Adam I tend to agree. I saw first hand how at least one large scale operation works. It all about the money. I'm not knocking the business as a whole, just the way some conduct their business. My island was until recently Varrao free. The only reported incident was from a mainland bee keeper last year who brought in infected hives to pollinate blueberry crops. Once discovered he did comply and remove the infected hives. However as we are all aware bee's do wander & now Island bee keepers are left with the possible threat.