PDA

View Full Version : She dreams in colours... how bees see flowers

Neils
11-12-2010, 01:24 AM
From the BBC, but I thought it was interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11971274

Bonus points for the tenuous lyric reference.

Mellifera Crofter
12-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you for that, Nellie. I recently read 'The Buzz about Bees' by Jürgen Tautz and enjoyed it enormously. One interesting fact about bee vision, for example, is that rapidly flying bees are colour-blind.
Kitta

Eric McArthur
12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi Kitta

You wrote:
flying bees are colour-blind.

I read the book some time ago but either missed that, or I've forgotten I read it! Old age does not come alone!. Can you cut and paste the reference -How did they find that fact out? - Interesting!

Eric

Mellifera Crofter
12-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't know how they found that out, Eric. The book only refers to 'a combination of anatomical, physiological and behavioural studies'. It is on page 80. There is a lot more interesting things about bee vision - more than one can digest in one reading.

Kitta

Eric McArthur
18-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't know how they found that out, Eric. The book only refers to 'a combination of anatomical, physiological and behavioural studies'. It is on page 80. There is a lot more interesting things about bee vision - more than one can digest in one reading.

Kitta
Hi Kitta

Thanks for that! Have you read "The Dancing Bees" by Karl von Frisch? Unputdownable!!

Eric

Mellifera Crofter
19-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks Eric. I haven't yet read the book - but I do know about Karl von Frisch. I've now ordered the book from the library.
Kitta

Eric McArthur
21-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi Kitta
Enjoy! Believe it or not but I actually coresponded with him some years ago!

Eric