PDA

View Full Version : Oxalic treatment advice

darlo
07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
This is my first winter with my bees, and what a winter so far! I will be looking at treating with Oxalic Acid this month, but whilst this cold spell hits us, I am very reluctnat to open the girls up. (-10 today), When would be the best time to do this? And I presume the use of cover clothes will help to keep some of the heat in during the process, or will this just increase the amount of time the crown board and roof are off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Jimbo
07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Darlo,

I would leave well alone while we have this cold spell. When we get a thaw and the temperature get to about 6/7 degrees on a sunny day you can open up. If you are using the trickle method get your solution into the syringe ready before you open up. I use a 3.2% solution in a 1:1 sugar solution. Just trickle about 5ml down each seam of bees. You may need to look down the spaces to see the bees. Don't lift out frames. When you trickle do it slowly as you don't want it to just run right through. Don't add any more just for good measure. Use you oxalic soon after making it up as it can go off if stored too long. Wash away any excess solution down the sink with plenty of water.

Jimbo

Jon
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
This is my first winter with my bees, and what a winter so far! I will be looking at treating with Oxalic Acid this month, but whilst this cold spell hits us, I am very reluctnat to open the girls up. (-10 today), When would be the best time to do this? And I presume the use of cover clothes will help to keep some of the heat in during the process, or will this just increase the amount of time the crown board and roof are off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

They key thing with Oxalic treatment is that there should be no brood present.
That's more important than the outside temperature.
I plan to treat mine in about a week as it is unlikely there will be brood after 3 weeks of very cold weather.
I use cover cloths any time I open up even in summer.
Heat the Oxalic to 25c in a water bath before applying.
I bring a flask of hot water to the apiary and set the bottle of oxalic in a margarine tub filled with hot water to keep the temperature up.

PS. I wouldn't recommend opening up at -10. Last year I treated at around zero and my colonies came through winter ok.

Jimbo
07-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Jon,

You are right I should have mentioned the brood. A few years ago I was not certain the queen stopped laying when we had mild winters. Not so this year with our artic Scottish weather.

gavin
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
It should be above zero on Thursday and Friday. I have my oxalic solution in plastic screw-topped tubes and (knowing that they wont leak) just keep them in my pocket. The outside of the cluster will be fairly cold anyway so just taking the chill off the solution is probably enough.

I'd agree that -10C is a bit extreme. Get everything ready, take the roof off, crown board, quickly and efficiently do the dribbling, crown board then roof back on - should take about a minute or less. I don't use cover cloths.

As Jon says now is a good time. This year it really ought to work well with a high efficiency, 98% or so.

I had been going to make up solutions to give away to a few lucky people at our LA meeting on Monday, but it was cancelled. I gather that the Fife meeting on Thursday is also cancelled - pity, it could have been a classic!

G.

Jon
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I make mine up on the day of treatment in the ratio of 7.5g powder (from Thorne) (not Th**ne!!) 100ml water and 100g sugar.
This year I reckon 30g oxalic powder will make more than enough solution.
It is predicting 7c in Belfast next saturday which seems almost tropical. Currently -5.

gavin
07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Go on - you can post the whole link if you like, I don't mind!!

Yup, that's the proportions and often the amounts I use. It is equivalent to 4.5% weight/volume of the dihydrate form of oxalic acid which some have translated to 3.2% if the oxalic acid had been anhydrous (which it rarely is). If you are trying to repeat the calculation you need to know that 1 litre water plus 1 kg sugar makes a volume of 1.6 litres or thereabouts.

When I went up to the local shop (cunningly missing all parked cars for those who know about my recent little misdemeanour) for a bottle of wine an hour ago it was -13C and was around -8C much of the day.

G.

EmsE
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm hoping the forecast is right so I can do mine this weekend too. Need an excuse to check that my girls are still OK. -7 today. Even the kids don't want to go out.

Jon
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
It's funny how you can justify a trip out in temperatures of -13 if you fancy a bottle of wine!

I grew out of that......by starting to brew my own.
In a worst case scenario I have to retrieve a demijohn from the shed.

I also took a trip out today, on the bike, as the dog was demanding excercise. I did about 4 miles through frozen woodland in and around the Lagan towpath.
I have never known it to be so frozen in early December.
Lots of grey squirrels about for the dog to chase.

Jimbo
07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Jon,

I weigh out 75g Oxalic acid (from Sigma) 1 litre of distilled water and 1kg of sugar This year I made 3 litres made into 50ml amounts for the members of the association. I don't use any heat but just put the whole lot into a flask and place on a magnetic stir plate. The perks of working in a lab!

Jimbo
07-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi EmsE,

Same here I am hoping for a thaw this weekend so I can check the girls and give my oxalic acid.

Gavin, would it not be easier to buy it by the case and get it delivered. Much more civilised

darlo
08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I purchased a 100ml Bottle pre-mixed treatment from our local Newburgh supplier, and with an excellent explanation of its use from the shop keeper. Probably not a cost effective solution for you lucky people with lots of hives, but for my two, will be enough! (I am told.) One amusing note to it -- The label tells me to store in a cool place! I gues that's not going to be an issue over the next few weeks!!!!!

I worked a night shift last night, and the temp guage on the ambulance got down to -14 in Cupar. I thought it was meant to get warmer. Bbrrrrrrrr

darlo
11-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Well its done! My first winter treatment of Oxalic Acid. Done as per the advice and instructions of the masters of these forums, and per the instructions on the bottle.

I have to say it did seem very strange and daunting opening up hives, still surrounded by snow, and an air temp of 5c. But I have to say I was pleasantly suprised to see two healthy clusters, still with plenty of stores on the frames, and with some of the bees complaining strongly about the sudden invasion.

A quick drizzle of the treatment, supers back on, crown boards and roofs, and back for a nice cuppa. Still didn't feel right though. Poor girls !!!

However many thanks for the tips and advice from everyone, I hope the ladies will forgives me and still be here to complain in the spring.

Calum
12-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I am sure they appreciated the warm meal!