PDA

View Full Version : Queens from Southern Oreland

GRIZZLY
13-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm interesred in buying a few Galtee Queens next year.Is this allowed in Scotland or are they subject to the same quarantine regs as imports from say the Continent ?? :confused:

Rosie
13-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I believe the rules for Southern Ireland imports are the same as those for any other European country. Your main problem though is that Galtee don't normally export any more except for a few exceptions in Northern Ireland. Apparently the authorities in the South are so under-manned (or perhaps disorganised) that the necessary formalities are just too tiresome to be worth the effort.

Rosie

Jimbo
13-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Grizzly,

Try Andrew Abrahams on Colonsay. He has Amm and may sell you a few queens

gavin
13-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I wonder if there is anyone on here with bees derived from Galtee queens who would be willing to share?! Butler cages sit nicely in padded envelopes, and I've successfully sent a queen by Royal Mail. On the other hand, a piece of comb with eggs - and a little queen-raising knowledge, repeated in the subsequent year - and you're sorted. Not exactly sure how that would work (eggs in queenless nuc to get them going, then graft the young larvae?) but I'm sure that it could be done.

Jon
13-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Eggs are practically indestructible.
I once removed a piece of brace comb which had eggs in it and then about 3 days later I used it to make a starter strip in an apidea. The bees managed to raise a few larvae from the eggs even though the brace comb had been on a shelf for a couple of days.

GRIZZLY
14-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.

Jon
14-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Grizzly.
I have 1 queen which is a daughter of a Galtee and 6 or 7 grafted from my own best ones which are crossed with mainly Galtee drones.
I hope to breed quite a few queens from these next year but I don't want to count chickens as they have to overwinter yet and most of the colonies are just nuc sized.
I have seen the Galtee bees in the Galtee apiary and also elsewhere. They are lovely bees to work with and very calm on the comb. I have only ever seen them being worked bare handed.

This is one of the demonstrators opening up a hive for curious bystanders.
Note the level of protection.

GRIZZLY
14-11-2010, 03:33 PM
If a q rearing session can be arranged in AYR PERHAPS A FEW "INDESTRUCTABLE" EGGS MIGHT STRAY OVER THE WATER??

Jon
14-11-2010, 06:01 PM
If a q rearing session can be arranged in AYR PERHAPS A FEW "INDESTRUCTABLE" EGGS MIGHT STRAY OVER THE WATER??

I'm sure you must know someone who works on the ferry.

GRIZZLY
15-11-2010, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Jon;2839]I'm sure you must know someone who works on the ferry.[/QUO

Better still I've got cousins in Belfast that we visit regularly!!

Jon
15-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Better still I've got cousins in Belfast that we visit regularly!!

Give me a shout from June onwards and you are welcome to a couple of virgin queens.
Some of them hatch in roller cages before I get the cells into apideas.
They should be good for a days travel with a couple of attendant bees and a wee bit of fondant in the cage.
I'm hoping to get queen rearing going on my own apiary site and the association site next year.

I am in Finaghy which is about 5 miles from the port.

GRIZZLY
16-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Thats very nice of you.thanks