PDA

View Full Version : How was your honey harvest?

lindsay s
10-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I’m assuming by now that most beekeepers will not only have harvested this season’s honey but also have bottled it. Dare I ask this question, how much honey did you get? You might not want to answer because you’re frightened of the taxman, or you don’t want to make me jealous, or you didn’t get any honey, or more than likely because it’s none of my business and beekeepers never discuss this in public. It might be nice having long winded discussions about genetics and inbreeding but I’m sure there’s a lot of beekeepers’ out there dying to know who’s had a good or bad harvest.
If you’re willing to answer please add a bit about the weather and a rough geographical location so we can see the overall picture. Please don’t let this thread disappear faster than the bees in a hive suffering from CCD.
Our summer was a lot duller than normal and there seemed to be more northerly winds than usual. As a result I averaged 42 pounds of honey per producing hive. I was speaking to another beekeeper who said they got 60 pounds per hive; their apiary is in a better location than mine. Back in 2008 I averaged 81 pounds per hive but that was an exceptional summer. Still I’m not to disappointed with this years harvest.

GRIZZLY
10-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Split my hive that survived the winter( lost several due to isolation swarming) - still managed 35 lbs from one half plus both halves have stuffed themselves with stores for the winter.Very hot dry Spring followed by very mixed weather here in the s.w of Scotland.Bees still forageing on the Whins and Himalayan Balsam bringing in loads of pollen and I presume nectar.I think theres quite a bit of Ivy too.I am however feeding heavily-I dont want any more losses due to another exceptionally cold winter

gavin
10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi Lindsay

I'm in the category of not wanting to answer because it shows what a terrible beekeeper I must be!

A tiny, trivial harvest but I had only one survivor after a terrible winter and spring, and now I have 8 stocks. Two were strong enough (just) to take to the hills for heather but they didn't do much there other than cram the brood boxes with stores. I'd claim that it was too wet, but the guy who takes his to the same spot put a third super on his one hive there.

This time there's fondant on the hives and polystyrene above that. Ask me again this time next year ....

Gavin

beebreeder
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi All
From down south I have had a record honey harvest this year, season got started very late and colonies that built up best were fed patties, I have ten pounds short of a thousand pounds of honey, wifes not too happy as its in doors taking up room, as to how many production colonies, that varies tremedously as queen and nuc production is my thing. The season has been great weather wise until Mid August when the rain came and the flows just stopped until the ivy now and thats the bees honey anyway.
kev