PDA

View Full Version : [Bee] Genetics 101

Neils
04-10-2010, 01:14 AM
So, where do you start?

At a basic level I get the concepts, but where does your average layman go to get a better understanding of the terminology and basic principles behind genetics? I'm not expecting to turn into Dawkins overnight, god knows (haha!) I can argue with myself for lack of another opponent as it is but I would like to improve my knowledge around this area.

gavin
04-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Maybe I should write a book?!

Tom Rinderer has already done so of course, and I thought that I might buy a copy to see what it says. Well, strictly he edited it as it is a multi-author thing.

If it is just basic genetic terminology you're after then maybe Wikipedia? The principles might take longer. But if 426 pages doesn't put you off ....

Bee Genetics and Breeding (http://www.groovycart.co.uk/cart.php?c=533&p=12873&buy=Rinderer%2C+T+%28+ed%29+-+Bee+Genetics+and+Breeding)

Neils
04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
The number of pages doesn't put me off, the thought that by page two I'll be going cross eyed because it's just introduced another concept I don't understand and will have to get my head around before I can go any further just might.

I'm not sure that it's a particularly good analogy, but I develop application software. I have a huge bookshelf full of books most cover fairly specific "nerdy" elements of the type of stuff that I tend to write.

I also have a book called "Code Complete". You could pick that book up tomorrow having never written a word of code in your life and understand the principles of what is required to write a piece of software. You wouldn't be able to because it doesn't actually cover any of the syntax, terminology, requirements etc etc of actually writing the software itself but it comprehensively describes the principles, processes and procedures that you need to take into account when you first sit down and decide to go beyond writing "hello world".

gavin
04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Why not just ask questions here as they occur to you? I don't know of a genetics textbook that captures the essence in the way you describe. Maybe there is one, but I haven't looked. What's in my head, and Jimbo's and Margie's and others can be yours if you ask the right questions (and we supply the right answers!).

G.

Neils
05-10-2010, 11:25 PM
the only problems with the questions as they occur to me is that I immediately think I should just go try and look it up on the web and stop being a lazy bugger. :)

I think I might tuck this subject away for a little bit until I've cleared some of the more pressing backlog like finishing the talk I'm supposed to be delivering in two weeks time!

gavin
05-10-2010, 11:29 PM
We'll still be here!

Neils
05-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I might not be! Panic is starting to set in now. It's been 15 years since I last gave a presentation and I wrote that one in about 2 hours. I've spent 2 months on this one and it's still rubbish.

Maybe I should just go and talk to people instead and stop over thinking it.

beebreeder
05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
How about "Breeding Techniques and Selection for Breeding of the Honeybee" by Friedrich Ruttner, its not all genetics but does keep thing in a more practical vein. Bee Genetics and Bee Breeding gets heavy going because of the constant referrals to other work. Just thought of Background to Beebreeding by John Atkinson.
kev

Neils
05-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks the for the recommendation beebreeder I'll take a look at that one too, just realised that it's coming up to winter again and I could do with a few new books to keep me company.

beebreeder
06-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Neil
Get someone in the audience to ask a question or two, that seems to help.
And Christmas
Neil, its kev by the way

Alvearium
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
BIBBA sell 'Elements of Bee Genetics' by Mesquida. I bought Rinderer's text mentioned by Gavin, from Amazon. It is good. Can be heavy going in parts but you can dip in on interesting aspects and do not need to read it from cover to cover. For example you can look at 'Behavioural Genetics' in ch 6 and then move to ch 16 for practical information on 'Breeding Accomplishments with Honey Bees'. There is 'Bee Sex Essentials' by Lawrence John Connor with simpler but interesting sections on colony genetics and 'Breeding Super Bees' by Steve Taber which has a very practical bent. All great stuff only wish I could remember half of what I read though! Gavin will be a shining light to lead the way with his forthcoming lecture.
Alvearium

Neils
14-10-2010, 11:19 PM
OK, well you said just ask and I know this is definitely one that I could just look up on Wikipedia but I'm a forum whore and I like talking about stuff.

There was a mention in, I think, the CCD discussion about the Virus cited in the study and it was suggested that it was an RNA virus.

I get at as a basic concept DNA, I've heard of RNA but I've no idea what the difference between the two is generally, let alone when it comes to viruses. Is this worth a post or should I just RTFM?

gavin
15-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Nellie

DNA has a backbone of a chain of nucleic acid bases (deoxyribose ones), and there are two strands of them which are paired (A-T and G-C) and therefore can self-replicate when they unzip.

RNA has a single chain of ribose nucleic acid bases.

The DNA sequence can copy itself, and it can be 'translated' to an RNA sequence. In most organisms the information is coded in the DNA sequence and the RNA performs several functions but an important one is to be the template to make proteins from the information in the DNA.

RNA can also be copied back to DNA. Retroviruses do this as part of their replication strategy. However most RNA viruses have a strategy that involves making an antisense RNA strand which is copied back to a sense strand.

Most of the bee viruses we've heard about are RNA viruses. IIV/AIV is a double-stranded DNA virus.

How did I do?!

Gavin

Neils
26-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Enough to make me think I need to go right back to basics, I've been working my way through http://www.genetichealth.com/G101_Genetics_Demystified.shtml as what seems a reasonable basis to get a slightly better basic understanding of the fundamentals and I think I'll work up from there.