PDA

View Full Version : Syrup keeps crystallising...

Fori
15-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I've started to feed my bees with 2:1 syrup but within a day it starts to crystallise? I use both rapid and contact feeders and the poor bees can't get to it :(. I make quite a lot of syrup and sometimes store it for a few days but that remains clear. Could it be the weather? What can I do to stop it?

Thanks
Fori

Rosie
15-09-2010, 04:29 PM
:)Hi Fori

Perhaps when you mixed syrup before the ambient temperature was a bit higher or the space above the brood nest was warmer. I would make doubly sure that your syrup is thoroughly dissolved (crystal clear) in the first place and add a little more water.

I have found that beet sugar seems to dissolve more readily than cane so perhaps you have changed sugar brand. If anyone tells you that beet sugar is dangerous for bees tell him he's 60 years out of datehttp://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/images/icons/icon7.png

Rosie

Fori
16-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Rosie,

I make the syrup in glass jugs so can see when it's clear, and it always is before I store it. I've always used beet sugar as well. I'll try adding a little more water and see how it goes. Thanks.

Fori