PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion: Tapatalk

Neils
15-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Gavin, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Just wanted to float the idea of adding the Tapatalk add-on to the forum to make it a little easier to browse from Iphone/Android phones. While the client costs a couple of quid to buy I understand that the forum add-on is free to install.

I've been using the client for a little while on a number of other forums and while it's not quite there yet in terms of features it makes forums a lot easier to browse using a phone.

gavin
15-09-2010, 12:39 PM
OK, Nellie - I'll give it serious thought. It is slightly worrying giving power to a plug-in, but the comments on the vBulletin forum seem generally positive. Over the last week or so we've had problems with a rash of spurious user-names registering. I think that I've got 'em now and filled the hole they were getting through.

G.

Neils
15-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I've looked into it myself and wouldn't have suggested it if I thought that it'd cause any problems. Another forum offers both an Iphone "optimised" theme and tapatalk and I have to admit having put off checking it out for a while that Tapatalk does make it significantly easier to post and browse to a forum than any of the custom themes that I've tried out so far. It's not perfect by any means client side but I've checked with a few technically savvy people who use it on their forums and they don't seem to be concerned regarding security or other potential issues.

The only annoyance I've seen so far is that if you browse to a tapatalk enabled forum from a compatible phone it does announce itself as being compatible, but I guess some might see that as helpful rather than annoying.

gavin
15-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks. I can see this leading to me getting a new phone. The current one hasn't a clue what a JPG is and has buttons wearing down from years and years jangling about in my trouser pocket.

G.

Neils
15-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I think you owe it to yourself as a responsible administrator to treat yourself to a shiny iPhone or android based one ;)