PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Heather Honey

Jimbo
10-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I have checked one of my stronger hives that I used for bee breeding to find they have built up strong enough to give 4-5 frames of capped heather honey.
My question is.
What would be the your least messy way to extract a small amount of heather honey without dragging out the heather press for such a small amount?
Also
This is a new isolated apairy site which I am developing as a bree breeding site. The site belongs to the MOD Estates.(I have goverment approval)
My question is
Do I have to give all the honey extracted to the Queen or do you think I should just send her a jar?
All answers appreciated.

Rosie
10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
What would be the your least messy way to extract a small amount of heather honey without dragging out the heather press for such a small amount?

Scrape it down to the foundation (unless you didn't use any or used cut comb foundation) and spread on your toast wax and all.

Do I have to give all the honey extracted to the Queen or do you think I should just send her a jar?
All answers appreciated.

Charge her a pollination fee!

gavin
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Wash your hands carefully and also some strong mesh cloth about 2-3 times the diameter of a large glass bowl. I use Tygan. Scrape the honey and wax off the foundation into it. Squeeze then wring the cloth. Ladle into jars. Send HM one jar, just out of curiosity. You never know, she might want to stop by next year and join you in some beekeeping.

G.