PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life Of Ambrosia

queenB
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Was just wondering since I am feeding ambrosia and it came with no packaging or advice (at least not from Thornes where I got it last year in plain unlabelled containers). Does Ambrosia have a use by date or does it store indefinately? Should it be kept refrigerated? I know it doesnt keep after you add water as I found out when spring feeding and it went mouldy in the rapid feeder within days.

I just keep mine in its plastic container in a cool shed but as Ive got some left over from last year I am wondering if its ok to feed it now. Also have a couple of packets of apifonda paste left over from last winter (unopened but stored in a cool cupboard). Is that ok to use this winter.

Advice greatly appreciated...dont want to give my bees any poor quality fodder!!! Does anyone make ambrosia themselves as I like the idea of making my own freshly as required.

gavin
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I would imagine that it would be fine. Fondant certainly keeps well in a cool place and Ambrosia ought to be the same. Sugar solutions that are acid do produce HMF particularly if kept warm, but in your case I would think it should be fine. Maybe give Thornes a call and see what they say?

all the best

Gavin