PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the comb??

Fori
07-09-2010, 12:47 PM
What's happened to this comb? It's got holes everywhere! I'm going to assume the bees did this but why? It's only one frame in one hive and it's the outer frame that touches the wall, the sun shines on that side but none of the other hives have this?

I am not concerned, just curious, but should I replace it?

Thanks
Fori

gavin
07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Good question, but I don't know the answer. I think that I've seen this when bees are excavating stores and maybe they just get carried away and remove the wax too?

Rosie
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Gavin and Fori

I have just registered here after having the site recommended by Jon. In am fairly confident that your comb has been robbed by wasps. I had exactly the same damage after a severe wasp attack on a weak colony a few years ago.

All the best

Rosie

gavin
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
That makes sense - thanks Rosie!

G.

Fori
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rosie (and welcome to the forum)! It was just such a curious thing to happen to only one comb but now it's all cleared up. I have fixed the wasp problem thanks to Gavin's super wasp traps.

Forida

Jon
09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
The penny has just dropped.
I couldn't remember talking to a Rosie but I do remember talking to a bloke with a 'tache from N Wales!

gavin
09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Funny how you get an impression of people on the web. Rosie, hmmmnn, a female Welsh beekeeper who *isn't* Dinah?! But now that you've been outed S, Welcome! I'll try not to picture you in a skirt next time we meet .....

G.

Jimbo
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Gavin,

You got to remember that they were at a bee conference in Ireland where dark beer with a white froth is drunk so it may have been a white 'tache'

Rosie
10-09-2010, 09:11 AM
The tache is starting to whiten but unfortunately not due to froth!

R (or is it S?)