PDA

View Full Version : Picture puzzle

Stromnessbees
19-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Have a good look at these pictures. Who can spot what's wrong and give a correct explantion?

321 322 323

Maybe I should offer a marsbar for the first correct answer...

Doris

Jimbo
19-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Doris,

All I can spot is a few bees in the first and second picture that don't look black but look like another bee species. Anybody near you bought in bees? resulting in driffting into you black colonies. I ALSO NOTICED A VARROA MITE ON A BEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE 3rd PICTURE! (I hope I am wrong)

Jimbo

Stromnessbees
19-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Jimbo

This was the last colony in Orkney with some yellow bees, I got rid of the queen and used the colony for rearing dark queens.

The 'varroa' in the third picture will be a braula, of which we have plenty here. The picture is too fuzzy to identify the little beastie.

Nothing else strange in these pictures?

Doris

GRIZZLY
19-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Strangely irregular comb-some small and some almost double size cells

Stromnessbees
19-08-2010, 10:53 PM
... yes, keep going ...

gavin
19-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Ha! I've been missing all the fun while taking the lads out to the football (we lost!).

Let me think .... round (ROUND!!) cells, spacers in the corners .... could it have been drone foundation in a place where the bees wanted to raise workers?

Stromnessbees
19-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Well done, Gavin, that's more or less it!

It was naturally drawn comb with an area of dronecells, and the newly mated queen decided to lay worker eggs in there. So the bees had to reduce the cell size by thickening the cell walls.

In a way it's the opposite of buckelbrood, but not often spotted, I believe.

So would you like a marsbar or maybe a pint next time we meet? (pitty you can't make it to Tipperary)

Doris

gavin
19-08-2010, 11:42 PM
<Gavin takes a bow>

Pint might be better (and I'll buy you one back after). I'm sorely regretting not coming to the BIBBA meeting, but maybe next time ....

I have to admit I looked at it once and thought that I'd never get it. Don't remember ever seeing this in a bee book, but there are so many and I certainly haven't read them all. Nice pics too.

Cells at the edge of comb are rounded on the edges that don't meet other cells.

Jon
20-08-2010, 03:17 PM
(pity you can't make it to Tipperary)

Doris

Indeed. All the best people will be there!

Stromnessbees
20-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I'll try this picture puzzle at the BBKA forum, will see how quick they are at working it out.
Don't tell them the answer!

Doris

Stromnessbees
23-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Very slow progress at the other forum ... :confused:

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=44190#post44190

Calum
23-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi
ok here is my submission, what is going on here (http://www.bienenzuchtverein-lindau.de/image/mehreier.jpg)? There are two possibilities. Only one is right.

Jon
23-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I would say it is a new queen laying too many eggs, perhaps due to restricted space.
It's not laying workers as the eggs are at the bottom of the cell rather than the side.
I see this quite a lot especially in apideas.

Stromnessbees
21-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I had several lively debates with other beekeepers about the unusual comb and the eggs/larvae in it.

So here a more recent picture of that same comb:

The bees have not expanded the area of brood on there, they prefer using the regular worker comb on the adjoinig frames.

Here's a close-up:

I have uncapped three cells to verify that the cells contain workers and not drones.

In comparison a drone at approximately the same stage of development (photo from a different colony):

Of course this is not great for comparing as it's another odd one, but it's the only photo I have of a drone pupa. Maybe somebody else can help out?

Doris