PDA

View Full Version : correx feeders

GRIZZLY
18-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I make in - frame feeders out of correx offcuts from our local signwriter(freebies) using lath offcuts and all stuck together with gaffer tape.Cheap,hygenic , waterproof and throwawayable if they get too disgusting.The only expense is a roll of gaffer tape for a few pence from LIDL.No nails screws or glue.
I'm going to experiment to see if it's possible to make a substitute Miller type feeder using the same technique.

Jon
18-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Grizzly. I make open feeders with Correx and I tape a piece of correx to the side wall to act as a float and it rises and falls with the syrup and gives the bees a platform to feed from.

They are about 40mm deep and as wide as you want to make them.
I put a plastic bag on top of the frames and set the open tray on top inside an eke.
Some of mine can take down a litre per hour like this as the feeding area is so large compared to feeders which are not completely open.
I must try a frame feeder as it is exactly the same principle.

GRIZZLY
21-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Grizzly. I make open feeders with Correx and I tape a piece of correx to the side wall to act as a float and it rises and falls with the syrup and gives the bees a platform to feed from.

They are about 40mm deep and as wide as you want to make them.
I put a plastic bag on top of the frames and set the open tray on top inside an eke.
Some of mine can take down a litre per hour like this as the feeding area is so large compared to feeders which are not completely open.
I must try a frame feeder as it is exactly the same principle.

Hi Jon any chance of a picture?

Jon
21-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Jon any chance of a picture?

Hi Grizzly. I'll post a pic in due course. It's just a rectangle of correx slightly smaller than the open tray which is taped to the top rim of one side.

It stops the float sticking to the bottom when the feeder is emptied by the bees.