PDA

View Full Version : Western Isles

mairi
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi
Hoping to start beekeeping in the Western Isles later this year. Does anyone know if the islands are varroa-free? At the Ayr Flower Show yesterday, I met a beekeeper who thought the W Isles are varroa-free, and in this case I'm wondering where to source bees from that are varroa-free?
Any information or advice I would be glad to hear about.
Thanks

gavin
09-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi Mairi

Not Lewis unfortunately, but the others may be. However Varroa was only discovered there last year and parts may still be Varroa free. Elizabeth was trying to set up a group on Lewis and was making attempts to source Varroa-free bees from the adjacent mainland for several beginners there.

Other islands are probably still Varroa-free. As always, the supply of bees is difficult but if the Lewis folk were successful then they may be in a good position to help you out.

Trog and Popz on here are on Mull. Andrew Abrahams on Colonsay might be able to supply bees, but always has more people chasing his stocks than he can supply.

best wishes

Gavin

Trog
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
The Lewis Association is now fully functioning, though unfortunately I wasn't able to meet up with Elizabeth when I was in Stornoway as our free time didn't coincide!

Given the scattered nature of many of the settlements on Lewis, it's very likely there are parts of it varroa-free. Elizabeth will be able to advise. Nothing to spare on Mull just now as we've a lot of beginners wanting bees, but we're working on increasing the numbers. Isle of Man might be worth a try.

Kate Atchley
11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi Mairi

I live in Lochaber and Varroa is all around us, at a distance, but so far we're mite lucky! Which island do you live on?

Lots of beginners here but next year I hope to get ahead of the local demand. So do ask me in the Spring if you're still looking for bees (and mine are still free of Varroa).

Kate