PDA

View Full Version : Apiary site urgently required

neilr
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Hello All, I've got a three hive apiary all inspected this year and all clear. I'm looking for a new site as my present one has become unavailable also Ireally need to keep them closer to me than in the past.

I'm looking for a suitable site within Edinburgh City or East of the city into East Lothian towards Ormiston. I know that G Hood has a commercial outfit near there but I'm sure my three hives would not pose a problem in this be forage rich area.

The citytis good too with it's gardens, avenues of Tilia, gorse on the crags and Arthurs Seat etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

Jimbo
02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi Neilr

Check out the Landshare web site to see if anybody in your area has any land on offer. You need to register first before you can search. It is mainly for people who have spare land and offering it to people who may want to grow veg. I have an offer from one person who would like bees on their site.

Jimbo

beeanne
03-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't keep bees on a landshare plot, but I do grow veggies on one. Second the idea of trying to find somewhere through that.

gavin
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I know that this takes time and you may not have time, but looking around for good sites and asking owners may be the best way to get a good site. Parkland/estates that have mixed deciduous trees and pasture are great, and also nice places to spend time in with the bees. I'm lucky enough to have access to an old orchard in that situation.

Google Maps with the satellite option switched on is a great way to get a feel for the kind of sites might be good. Then your trouble is finding a cooperative owner who can give you a quick decision.

G.

neilr
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I have been proactive and been enquiring around the local farmers/landowners. Will join Landshare as it may come in handy if I need a back up. But the good news is I've been offered space on locally managed land.